Special Edition or Legendary Edition?

lucoia

Are all the mods already compatible for the Special Edition or I should just reinstall the Legendary Edition to use all of them with SKSE and stuffs?

I uninstalled the game 2 years ago and would like to play it again, I searched the forum but I didn't find the answer to this straight question apparently.

A lot of mods are ported already, but that really depends on what you prefer. SKSE isn't ready yet so a lot of mods won't be ported until it's out. One of the main pains is SKYUI, which is only available in old (not very-skse) edition and requires manual tweaking to work. A lot of mods won't be ported because they are no longer supported. So I guess the best decision is to look at SE mods section and see if there are enough for you to play.

No SKSE ... are you crazy ... Legendary and learn how to add mods.

In the end you will surpass the SE edition by far ... but you will have to learn a lot.

Frankly not really knowing how to add mods is a drag and you will be much better off

knowing how to fix or add to your game in the end .... ( personal opinion )

Are all the mods already compatible for the Special Edition or I should just reinstall the Legendary Edition to use all of them with SKSE and stuffs?

I uninstalled the game 2 years ago and would like to play it again, I searched the forum but I didn't find the answer to this straight question apparently.

No, mods are generally NOT compatible.

There are exceptions, but even some simple texture/model replacements aren't compatible because SE uses some different file formats for some things.

That said - most mods can be made compatible fairly easily if the mod author is still active and wants to do it - so expect popular active mods to be ported fairly quickly.

The biggest issue with SE mods right now is:

- There is no SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) for SE yet.

This needs a major rework to be compatible - and many advanced mods require this to run at all. It is expected to take a few months at least (no timeframe given yet) before SKSE comes to SE. Until then some mods can't be ported - including many "essential" ones.

- There is no SkyUI for SE yet. SkyUI needs SKSE, so that's the first problem. Secondly it isn't being actively developed anymore, and the devs said they don't have plans to port it. Maybe someone else can fix this... but that is not clear yet.

So why do you need SkyUI? Well firstly it is considered to be the be-all end-all UI for Skyrim, so there aren't many other good UI overhauls and SkyUI is considered essential for most players. Secondly the MCM (Mod Config Menu) is part of SkyUI and most mods these days heavily rely on this feature to work even though technically there are other ways to do this...

Choose special edition if you want a significant performance boost and you don't use many mods or can live without the missing ones.

Choose oriignal Skyrim (for now) if you want to have full access to all mods.

Long story short: Ever assume that mods are automatically compatible without reading the description carefully. Some ARE, but many won't be, or only partially.

-Stigma

Edited by thestigma