Random objects turning black and slowing down my game?

esplin227

I have a very good PC and my oblivion is updated completely in every way. I'm not a n00b to modding at all but this is an issue I've never even heard off. For some reason any object added from a mod in the world space occasionally turns black and slows down my PC to the point were I have to save and restart the game. When I load the game back up the object is no longer black and the game works fine until it happens again with another object. It doesn't matter which mod it is but body replacers do it the most. If it was a rare occurrence I wouldn't care but it happens so often the its making my game unplayable. I know that if your missing a mesh it does a giant exclamation mark and if your missing a texture its purple beneath. But why are objects turning black?

Pitch black or invisible objects is an error indicator for missing normalmaps ("..._n.dds" files).

But I can't think of a way how missing files can cause issues only on a random basis and then also not even persistent to begin with. Either the files are missing or they aren't. They can't just "change their mind" during a running game.

However, I can't help but feel like this sounds familiar somehow. I definitely read about an issue like this before. I just can't remember what exactly was the cause or how it got fixed. I hope someone else can shed some more light on this than me.

It could have something to do with Archive Invalidation going wrong, as this is known to cause "random" issues, like when still using the outdated "ArchiveInvalidation.txt"-file-based approaches which never worked reliably to begin with, or not using any Archive Invalidation at all even, or still having some left-over "ArchiveInvalidation.txt"-files in your folder(s) while already using the only advisable approach BSA Redirection, which will then instruct the game to use external files over internal ones, which are no longer present inside the now-empty BSA, which is the only BSA requiring Invalidation at all anymore now, as is the working of BSA Redirection, eliminating the "need" for Archive Invalidation itself entirely once and for all. But that's just wild guesses altogether, as the issues coming from these mistakes are all "random" in nature and as such can't really be defined. :ermm:

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

• 1 month later...

Pitch black or invisible objects is an error indicator for missing normalmaps ("..._n.dds" files).

But I can't think of a way how missing files can cause issues only on a random basis and then also not even persistent to begin with. Either the files are missing or they aren't. They can't just "change their mind" during a running game.

However, I can't help but feel like this sounds familiar somehow. I definitely read about an issue like this before. I just can't remember what exactly was the cause or how it got fixed. I hope someone else can shed some more light on this than me.

It could have something to do with Archive Invalidation going wrong, as this is known to cause "random" issues, like when still using the outdated "ArchiveInvalidation.txt"-file-based approaches which never worked reliably to begin with, or not using any Archive Invalidation at all even, or still having some left-over "ArchiveInvalidation.txt"-files in your folder(s) while already using the only advisable approach BSA Redirection, which will then instruct the game to use external files over internal ones, which are no longer present inside the now-empty BSA, which is the only BSA requiring Invalidation at all anymore now, as is the working of BSA Redirection, eliminating the "need" for Archive Invalidation itself entirely once and for all. But that's just wild guesses altogether, as the issues coming from these mistakes are all "random" in nature and as such can't really be defined. :ermm:

It's a damn shame noone knows how to fix or even define this problem, as it's been plaguing me continually for over a year playing Oblivion GOTY. I have several weird image captures of the same black effects, including missing armour, body parts and buildings, even missing meshes & textures etc. all fixing themselves on reload and re-occuring at random somewhere else after a load screen. The real frustration is that there seems to be no recourse to this and the only impression I have, is that the loading isn't completed correctly for some reason. I'm now on my 3rd complete re-install and my 4th character, and still the same problems plague me. I'm beginning to suspect that it's not entirely an Oblivion game problem, but perhaps unstable ATI graphix drivers (these problems seemed to worsen when I upgraded to a newer version- from 9.1 and up for Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5!) Now I'm playing on Win7 - 64 bit and am forced to use Catalyst 11.1 drivers and the stability problems worsen. I don't really know, it's just my suspicion about the garphics drivers as I have no other idea.

I do read that some people can play a game for a whole hour or more (real time?) without a CTD! I wish I could play 1/2 an hour without a CTD!! Anyways, Skyrim's out now, perhaps it's time to switch to a new game? Alas, I read on the Skyrim forums that hundreds of new players aren't even able to play Skyrim without it crashing repeatedly within a few minutes, all with identical failures. And like 99% of the users (at the time of reading) had Radeon HD 5000 & 6000 series cards! Of course they're all irate and blame Bethesda! But has anyone considered that it could be as simple as badly written graphics card drivers? One official testing site did confirm that ATI had a driver bug, they lovingly named, "the 100% GPU usage bug". Apparently ATI has known about this for a long while and has not fixed it yet! As the name suggests, the bug fixes the GPU at 100% usage until it overheats and crashes within a short time. Anyone intersted in researching this will have to Google it unfortunately, as I don't have a link. But there are free utilities availble to check if you are suffering from this bug. Anyways, all the best everyone, and thanx for listening to my frustrated rant.

This is a total out of left field thing, but do you defrag your hard drive?

Hey Striker879, you probably remember me from a ways back, and yes I'm still plagued by the same graphical glitches [similar to esplin 227] on a competley fresh install. Sorry for the left field tack, but I was looking for answers to another problem when I saw this post and wanted to reply. Anyways, to answer your Q. Yes, I have a completely defraged C-drive.