Changing From Disc to Steam

Deleted2543153User

Right now I am using Oblivion (dvd version) with Shivering Isles (Direct to Drive) and I'm going to switch to the Game of the Year Edition from Steam. I have 3 concerns:

1. Will I need to get new manager software (OBMM, Wrye Bash, ect.) for the Steam version?

2. Will I be able to use the same mods for the Steam version that I'm using now?

3. Will I be able to use my current saves?

Any help is appreciated.

As far as I know your saves will work. I'd back up my 'Saves' folder to a different directory (save games are found in 'Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion' for Vista and Windows 7 or in 'Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion' for WinXP). The only caveat on saves is that you will need all those same mods installed. Most of the time having a missing mod won't cause an issue beyond the game warning about missing content.

The mods don't come in 'Steam flavour' or 'vanilla flavour' so you're good to go there. If you still have the downloaded archive it's just a matter of re-installing them. It would be a good idea to keep a record of your load order to refer to when installing, and with many mods install order makes a big difference as well. I'd make a couple of vanilla saves myself ... one just before exiting the sewers (so you don't need to redo the tutorial) and one just after exiting the sewers and making sure the vanilla game is working correctly.

OBMM and Wrye Bash are like the mods in that they only come in one flavour. OBSE on the other hand has specific install instructions included with the download for the Steam version of the game. If you plan on using the Construction Set at some time it will also require specific OBSE/Steam installation.

You'll want to do a proper and thorough uninstall, including a registry cleaning before installing the Steam version. This would also be a good time to get your current (or future) Steam installation outside of C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Oblivion was designed long before Microsoft dreamed up UAC. Maybe modern games work well with UAC ... Oblivion isn't on that list. Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure is a good source for re-installing ... don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam installation or the part about registry cleaning. Good luck!