Skyrim - not so much free choice as I hoped

ginnyfizz

Has anyone else come across annoying factors like you have to join X Guild to do Y? I know that some people have already mentioned that you are almost dragooned into joining the Thieves Guild in order to find Esbjern, well it's the easiest way to find him.

But there ARE other annoyances that I have found. For one thing I have absolutely zero interest in playing as a werewolf (and very rarely do I play as a vampire until the vampire overhauls come out...). In a game that is meant to be a big, free, open world I find that playing as a monster is too restricting, although as my thief/assassin/mage type girls are utterly charming until the moment they sneak round your back and put Mehrunes' Razor in it, some of the vampire powers could work for them..."Look deep into my eyes...."

So I was pretty hacked off when I found out that you were forced to become a Werewolf to complete the Companions Questline, and that curing your Lycanthropy is sometimes glitched unless you use the console. Fine, so I am not doing that questline, I said...

Unfortunately, this has kind of ruined another quest that I had made up myself. Little Emilie (a Breton as beastly in Skyrim as ever she was in Oblivion or Morrowind), achieved Thu'um Master (discovered all 20 shouts) the other day. This does not mean that you have all three words for each, so I decided my quest was to find all of them. Unfortunately, I have discovered that at least two so far are dependant on doing the Companions quests. Fire Breath - she IS something of a pyromaniac - the last Word is in a Dungeon that only opens up for a Companions quest. Console thus required. Animal Allegiance (useful when a random dragon pops up whilst you are being mobbed by common or garden bears, wolves and sabrecats all at the same time) - the third Word is in an exterior location, but only accessible by exiting a dungeon which...you guessed it, only opens up for a Companions quest. In this case console again required to levitate up there.

So, I am quite curious as to what other restrictions other players have found, and what, if any, workarounds, can be done. After all this is the spoilers forum!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me I understand your pain. I kind of dislike it when Bethesda keeps bullshitting that you can do anything. Can I join alternate factions that are rivals of the current guilds in the game? Like can I join the werewolf hunters to kill the werewolves in the companion? Can I join a faction that is bent on dismantling the thieves guild? Can I join a faction of victims who want revenge on the Dark Brotherhood (I know you can kill them for the Imperials but its not a full fledged questline or guild)? Can I kill every single Jarl? The answer to all of these are NO. I mean its not too much to ask for these things, since whatever the player does not effect the lore of the game. The lore of the game is based on what Bethesda says it to be. I could've chosen never to enter Shivering Isles, but according the Bethesda the hero of the Oblivion crisis went on to become the Mad God. Its some frustrating s*** and shows you how closed the game, even for 2011. These are some basic things that could've been added to improve the experience.

The mages might be one serious case of shoved down the players throat.

To carry on with the main quest, you have to go to the College. To enter the college, you have to join them. But there's more to it. There's the Galdur amulet quest which you can obtain at random. But to get all the pieces, you have to join the mages. Otherwise the third location won't open.

And I absolutely don't want to join the mages. For one I don't like the magic system of Elder Scroll games and so I usually ened up playing sneaky characters, who feel best suited to join only the thieves and the Brotherhood.

I know that some people have already mentioned that you are almost dragooned into joining the Thieves Guild in order to find Esbjern, well it's the easiest way to find him.

You talk to the owner of the Riften inn if you don't want to join the Thieves Guild. Apparently people want more choice, but they want more choice to be smashed directly in their face with map markers so they don't have to think about it. We should probably go right ahead and put a map marker on Wuunferth the Unliving during the Blood on the Ice quest as well. Brain not required.

But there ARE other annoyances that I have found. For one thing I have absolutely zero interest in playing as a werewolf (and very rarely do I play as a vampire until the vampire overhauls come out...). In a game that is meant to be a big, free, open world I find that playing as a monster is too restricting, although as my thief/assassin/mage type girls are utterly charming until the moment they sneak round your back and put Mehrunes' Razor in it, some of the vampire powers could work for them..."Look deep into my eyes...."

So I was pretty hacked off when I found out that you were forced to become a Werewolf to complete the Companions Questline, and that curing your Lycanthropy is sometimes glitched unless you use the console. Fine, so I am not doing that questline, I said...

So because of a completely unintentional glitch you can easily fix with the console, the questline where you become a werewolf and can subsequently completely reject it by curing it, or keep it, is somehow 'lacking in choice' as a result? Joining the Circle requires becoming a werewolf. Whatever justification you use for it, even down to being caught on the spur of the moment, you'll soon be smashing the face off of your wolf spirit in no time. And then the same for Farkas and Vilkas.

Unfortunately, this has kind of ruined another quest that I had made up myself. Little Emilie (a Breton as beastly in Skyrim as ever she was in Oblivion or Morrowind), achieved Thu'um Master (discovered all 20 shouts) the other day. This does not mean that you have all three words for each, so I decided my quest was to find all of them. Unfortunately, I have discovered that at least two so far are dependant on doing the Companions quests. Fire Breath - she IS something of a pyromaniac - the last Word is in a Dungeon that only opens up for a Companions quest.

You chose not to do certain quests, but don't want to accept that this means things in those quests will be unavailable? I chose not to go to work once, and the ungrateful sods didn't pay me. Can't work that out. You made a valid choice not to do a certain thing....this logically results in you not being able to do anything directly requiring that certain thing. I can choose not to go to a zoo or the north pole....funnily enough that means I'm not going to see a polar bear in real life.

You used choice not to do something and are complaining that this results in a lack of further choice relating to that initial choice. Well......duh.

Edited by Khorak

I wondered how long it would take you to turn up and start trolling. Funny how it always happens wherever I post. This thread is for people to comment who have found that quests are too much tied together and don't like it, and find that it inhibits the free form gameplay which is one of the highlights of Elder Scrolls games. Since I am the OP of this thread and am merely asking other people to post what situations they have found and any workarounds that are available, kindly stop derailing this thread just for the sake of attacking me personally.

I am very well aware that you can work around the Thieves Guild thing, which is why I chose my words carefully ie "almost dragooned". I have also been made aware that the proper in game way to cure your own Lycanthropy has not worked for everyone. I woud prefer not to use console cheats. I would also prefer that the Words of Power were not locked up in quest dependent dungeons as I described, there is no logical reason why the last words of Fire Breath and Animal Allegiance shouts should be tied to dungeons that are not freely available when most other Words of Power can be found by wandering. Yes, I know not all can be so found. Perhaps with the CK it will be possible to place them in alternative dungeons.

Yeah, that's another purpose of this thread, possibly kicking off some modding ideas.

Being a werewolf isn't so bad as you don't wolf out unless you want to. Being a vampire? Now that is restrictive with all that feeding; I found myself doing the quest to cure after about a game week of it.

In one unfinished game, my Imperial Legate started down the dark brotherhood quest line (for the first time in my experience.) He finished up the first few quests, his sneak improving nicely and then it was "I have to kill who?" That one was a game-breaker; no way around it, no possible way to rationalize it - start over. Never finished the Blades quest line either; just can't bring myself to kill Parthunax.

Now that I know how most of the quest lines play out, I can tailor a character to work with them or around them. I can accept the fact that if I go down a certain path there are things I must do and sacrifices to make if I want to complete it. If I don't want to go down that road, I choose another path. (But that's me.)

Being a werewolf isn't so bad as you don't wolf out unless you want to. Being a vampire? Now that is restrictive with all that feeding; I found myself doing the quest to cure after about a game week of it.

But if you simply don't want to?

I don't want to be some beastly creature. I check everytime after encountering a vampire if I haven't contracted anything. That's what it boils down to. Preference, taste. You don't want to do it, yet the game tries to force certain choices down your throat.

Multiple choices within a complex, non-linear questline would presuppose intelligent thinking on our side.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the customers don't want to play a game that might cause headache.

That leads to simple linear games with guided quests, even simpler puzzles and a low level AI that frees

the player from any pain or sorrow in his spare time. Decision making remains the privilege of chess fans.