ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

25mm pulse grenades not working

Mathalor

Hi,

I'm trying to fix 25mm pulse grenades so that they will deal extra damage to robots, as they haven't worked for me in the past when fighting roboscorpions. I see the blue emp globe, but next to no damage is caused.

I'm using FNVedit, as I thought that would be an easy fix, and I know next to nothing about the geck. I found their entry under Ammunition, for the gunrunnerarsenal and mission mohave .esps, I notice that the ammo effect listing is blank for both. I think that this is where I'd type in something to cause the desired effect, but I'm not sure what is necessary.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Edited by Mathalor

Hey that file looks familiar... But no, I didn't do anything to 25mm EMP rounds there.

Those rounds work by having an effect attached to the explosion that is conditionalized to affect robots and power armor. The effect in particular is NVDLC05EMP25mm from GRA, by default it's set to deal 75 dmg to robot type creatures and 30 dmg to NPCs using some power armors. If you can see roboscorpions displaying an 'electrified' effect when hit by one of them, that should mean they are working.

It could be that another mod is overriding the effect somehow so they deal less damage, or your game's difficulty is minimizing your damage too much. The damage is fixed regardless of your skill or their distance to the blast, but it's still adjusted by difficulty.

To actually 'fix' them, I'd suggest using YUP, which makes them recognize other actors tagged as robots, any kind of power armor, and correctly adjust the damage against OWB robots, which are supposed to get a 50% reduction due to their EMP shielding. It's tangential to your problem, since with it roboscorpions will be receiving even less damage, but it's just that the problem is elsewhere.

I do play on very hard. I found 12 gauge pulse slugs to be effective, but not the 25mm pulse grenades, I thought it was the grenades.

Could the difficulty be lowering the damage below the robots' DT?

Looks like YUP is the new unofficial patch, I'm out of date there.

Edited by Mathalor

The damage ignores DT as well. You may see the shield indicator in the HUD, but that's not from the EMP effect. It's from the explosion itself, which only deals 10 damage at most, and to anything and not just robots. The explosion's effect will get through, and it ignores pretty much everything except difficulty.

Pulse slugs may be more effective because they deal 50 dmg to robots and 25 to power amor through a script, and that ignores difficulty as well (that mod linked by PushTheWinButton does take care of that). Even if it weren't for difficulty, while they deal lower damage, most of the time they can be fired at a much faster rate than launcher shells from a grenade rifle or such, so maybe you'll have more luck firing 25mm ammo from a grenade machine gun.

Huh. Well, I'm installing ammo fixes and replacing mission mohave with YUP, it'll be a while before I go through old world blues (I've learned from skyrim to start over after you uninstall a mod), but I'll see the changes when I do.

Thank you again.

Edited by Mathalor

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.

Against mohave turrets in vault 34, the 25mm pulse grenades , fired from a fully modded 25mm grenade launcher, work great.

In big mountain however, they seem to cause zero damage against robobrains and mr gutsys. Firing 24 of them in rapid succession doesn't lower the health bar by any pips.

12 gauge pulse slugs, pulse grenades, pulse mines, and the sonic emitter seem to be causing increased damage, even if it's reduced.

25mm timed and high explosive grenades will damage them.

Are the 25mm pulse grenades intended to deal zero damage against big mt robots? This seems like a bug.

Edited by Mathalor

I'm using yup, mission mojave, and ammo fixes.

I also use project navada core (with dlc and extra options patches), though I can't find anything in fnvedit dealing with 25mm pulse grenades in that mod, or the launcher, so I'm assuming it's not touched.

Everything else in my load order is either very specific (stronger merchants, ed-e advanced, plentiful poisons), UI tweaks (IHUD, MTUI), or lighting overhaul.

I play through steam, and have all the official dlc.

Edited by Mathalor