Modded Skyrim: GPU VRAM usage

Drivejunky95

At least between 30 and 60 :D Some people just say "human can only see 24 fps and finito" (regarding to the fact that movies run at something around that).

Seeing the difference between 60 and 120 is a lot harder. In normal rpg games with no extremely fast movements you shouldn't see too much on a normal 60Hz screen.

However when using something like 120 or 144Hz screens there definitely a difference.

Mostly more fps are just about the smoothness of the overall experience (when not limited by the engine like it's the case with the creation engine).

No way the eye can see only 24fps, do people realize how depressingly slow that is? The human eye is much more powerful than that O_o. The eyes have very high tolerance.. and it'll let you know when you're pushing them too hard - this tolerance I don't want to mess with.

I've never had a monitor above 60Hz, though I'm sure soon or later I will have to "step up" and go higher.

Hmmmm ok.

Certain amounts of VRAM (like the 6GB on the 1060 I just purchased) is overkill for most games out there running 1080p with few exceptions like modded Skyrim.

2k-4k texture packs, mods with high res textures and AA are gonna make VRAM usage skyrocket - which 6GB is the point in which there is enough headroom to avoid stuttering, etc. Nice price per performance and future-proof - not beyond 2 or more generations, but the amount of VRAM most definitely is.

This thread has personal VRAM numbers - nothing fake or altered here. If someone is getting 3GB+ VRAM usage it's probably true :smile:

Edited by Drivejunky95

Hi

I was involved with video for a while. Film is 24fps, video is 30fps & HD video is 60fps.

I think 6gb vram is minimum. I am already using 4.8 in some places vanilla.

Then the old Skyrim came out I had a GTX 570 with 1280gbs vram. I replaced it with a GTX 670 with 2gbs vram. I did not need the processing power of the 670, the 570 could run the game at over 100fps. The update got rid of 50% of my CTDs(150 mods). A year later I upgraded to a 680 4gb for the same reason(250 mods). I skipped the 700 series because 3gbs vram was not enough for my modded game. The next 2 cards I purchased were for ENB & had 4gbs vram. I bought a GTX 980 ti(6gb vram) to play at higher resolutions & was shocked that I had virtually no CTDs with it.

I think I will be good for vram for most of 2017. If I am lucky.

Later