Creation Kit - Today?

barthigi

suddenly the thread started to be fun :)

Who ever believe Valve owns our works on Skyrim (or Morrowind, or Oblivion or...)? Bethesda got there first. Actually is just... just. Just they have been able to get ideas from "our" mods and to date this was the only active "appropriation" of "our works" they ever did. No irony here in fact, I think it positive.

Actually some mods are so hard to install, but so hard that may be necessary to do something more than putting files in correct place . Some may need to have the esp/esm(s) activated even... and then Steam Workshop will be a bless for many users. They may even have a magical something to deal with a bit more complexes mods and the less than foreseeable conflicts which are yet to come after the CK release. In the end, if Valve manages to get things working it will not be that different from what NMM is already doing and something like BOSS comes around to help dealing with load order, patching what can't just be overlapped and so on.

Seriously, someone believing that's only wrapping a mod and is everything OK just has less experience with modding these games he/she may think to have.

I didn't read your post.. but thanks for killing the thread!!

lol

Edit: Excuse his poor english; as I am sure for example there is no relation between irony and positivity. However he is right about a key point.

By Bethesda, the creator of the engine and databases of content, having an accessible centralized location for all mods.. they can theoretically remove the installation hassles all of us Oblivion Veterans have gone through.

<rant>

I once spent two weeks optimizing a load order, and it wasn't fun. It was almost as fun as the 9 days I have spent configuring and optimizing my new PC. Oh boy the hassle you get from relocating [users; ProgramData; Program Files; Program Files (x86); and all the temp directories System and User ones.] Seriously.. it is a huge hassle, if it wasn't so useful then I wouldn't bother.

</rant>

Anyways back to the point, they could very easily create some safety nets in place that either optimize your (damn it I keep spelling optimize wrong and having to use replace word!!!) load order for you.

They know how their databases work and how the mods are designed as a file. So they could very easily detect compatibility issues. With all the right time and effort put into designing this framework they could notify authors of compatibility issues with other mods, and list all the mods there are issues with and tell them what the incompatibilities are. That is the benefit of having the developer work in a way to centrally distribute the mods.. they can easily take it a step further and create a new database to keep track of all the mods and all the changes to the game in each mod. Then it is just a matter of some queries to determine issues.

Optimizing (damn it again, why do I think it is spelled optomizing wha-h-hyy) the load order will be tricky.

There will almost certainly be mods that alter the same things, but one or two of them may change additional things that the others don't. When you are trying to keep track of 5 or 6 mods, that is no problem. When you have a list of about 30-50 mods.. It gets hard to keep track of in your head what mods do what; thus becoming harder to create the load order appropriately.

Edited by Sagenth

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic