Can't access Dawnstar Sanctuary?!?!

maxrsp

Does anyone know how to access the Dawnstar Sanctuary if you opted to "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood" instead of joining them?

Cicero was not present when I cleaned out the Brotherhood sanctuary and killed everyone, but he isn't at the default location northeast of Whiterun either...

I used the console to add the final volume of his journal (which contains the password) to my inventory, but even after I read it, the correct answer to the door's question is not a dialogue option.

It bugs me to have a location on the map which I can't explore!

You can use a console command to enter the dawnstar sanctuary the coc location one either use the console or uesp to look up the location code. This could work as to not being able to explore certain areas I suppose that is the sacrifice we have to make. This is not meant as any ill will to you as I understand your frustration in this particular situation but it always tickles me when people complain they cannot access certain things without joining a faction or something. The choices you make should limit or aid you in someway this is what roleplaying is about otherwise it's just a sandbox game.

Thanks Dambuster, I was thinking about the coc command but was hoping their might be a way to do it "within" the game flow like finding Cicero somewhere else on the map or something...

And I do understand what you are saying about choices, obviously there are tons of implications within the game that I happily accept based on choices that have been made; this however is the only map location I cannot even access (after over 140 game hours) based on those choices. I'm not exactly welcome in Stormcloack camps either but I can go there and fight and loot if I choose to. If there are other similar location-based restrictions I have not come across them yet.

Thanks Dambuster, I was thinking about the coc command but was hoping their might be a way to do it "within" the game flow like finding Cicero somewhere else on the map or something...

As long as Cicero hasn't delivered the nightmother yet, he's probably due north of Whiterun having a cart accident. You can run into him on the road, close to some farm.