"Romance Mod" (if you are into modding, please read this!)

NathanRyan

True there is a lot of tragedy in reality, all lives must come to an inevitable end sooner or later; obviously life comes with a spectrum of emotions for the non apathetic and generally speaking we probably get a tad too much of the negative side. So ideally the quests involved could be scripted so that by the end of it, when the player is reaching the ultimate outcome of their endeavour, we would know which outcome the player needs in their life.

The alternative is we make 2 or three versions of the mod, which is more likely to happen.. because the former would require implementing a lot of personality survey type stuff through out the dialogue, and that would be neat for a full production but ridiculous for a spare time mod.

I think we will end up with a core mod adding the NPCs and any necessary mechanics. Then two separate mods to provide positive outcomes and another to provide negative ones. Not sure how dialogue options would work in that, whether or not you can merge mods to combine the options. Hopefully the answer is yes we can, but I don't know I never touched dialogue in TES:CS for IV

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True there is a lot of tragedy in reality, all lives must come to an inevitable end sooner or later; obviously life comes with a spectrum of emotions for the non apathetic and generally speaking we probably get a tad too much of the negative side. So ideally the quests involved could be scripted so that by the end of it, when the player is reaching the ultimate outcome of their endeavour, we would know which outcome the player needs in their life.

The alternative is we make 2 or three versions of the mod, which is more likely to happen.. because the former would require implementing a lot of personality survey type stuff through out the dialogue, and that would be neat for a full production but ridiculous for a spare time mod.

I think we will end up with a core mod adding the NPCs and any necessary mechanics. Then two separate mods to provide positive outcomes and another to provide negative ones. Not sure how dialogue options would work in that, whether or not you can merge mods to combine the options. Hopefully the answer is yes we can, but I don't know I never touched dialogue in TES:CS for IV

I think it should be doable and if it is it's a must

So when I first read the "Thalmor officer romance" idea my initial response was something along "every traitor collaborating with Thalmor should die!!" :biggrin: But then I read some more, and gave it a thought or two and became quite obsessed with the idea. Yeah, they are the ocuppant-nazi-like-faction, but then, there IS something alluring about those Thalmor uniforms... :wub: And also being a Breton noble refugee my character feels a bit lonely with all those Nord plainsman, so a handsome, cunning, educated Altmer might be an option :biggrin: So now my mind is all around "I want an hopeless romance with an evil Thalmor officer in those damn sexy robes!"

Ok, but there are some things to consider:

How the questline would be affected by the choices of the character and progression in Empire/Stormcloak war? I see a GREAT potential for drama here, and we all love drama, don't we? The characters would be so conflicted, we could get this old conflict of "duty vs love" of a sort.

I haven't finished the War Quest yet, but I guess if the Stormcloaks win, the Thalmors in Solitude and Marakath are going away, aren't they? So there is a problem of how do we situate this whole questline so depending on different character choices we don't get nonsense. That might be though. One idea is to set the whole love story during the War Questline, but again, it limits many choices of the player and by the time the mod is out probably most of us will have the vanilla quests solved.

I know right? I've also been a bit anti Thalmor, killed a lot of them and I'm in the stormclocks. I don't like ulfric though, it's the only thing stopping me at this point. If I were to romance him, it would end up like Macbeth. Conflicted is definatly what I'm going for with this Thalmor. I'll probably have to play the game finished both ways before I can finish the quest line though.

Here is one "Romance" storyline/sidequest I thought of.

The player would encounter a strange tomb. As they go through the cave they come across an abandoned encampment with a Journal, detailing that the tomb belongs to a famous scholar who studied the Dwemer ruins. The player also learns that the expedition team went in deeper only a couple days ago. When the player delves deeper he/she encounters a trap room that leaks a poisonous gas, causing the player to loose consciousness.

During the fade to black the player hears distant voices and sounds. After a few seconds they find themselves come to, finding a female explorer tending to you on a sleeping bag. Through dialogue you learn that the lady was leading the expedition but the whole team got trapped partway in the tomb. Only three people are left and by a stroke of luck, they managed to save you from the poison chamber. She feeds you some food and you get some time to know her before your character has to sleep again. In the midst of the second blackout you hear traces of an argument between the female explorer and one of the NPC's about feeding you when they are running out of food. She wakes you up again with her nearly crying as she breaks the news to you that they are on their last days worth of food supplies and they can't get past a certain point in the tomb (the other two NPC's died trying). You have no choice but to promise her that you will help get her out of the tomb. She then gives you her last potion she made to fight the poison gas which by luck allows you to get up.

You then help the female explorer get out of the tomb with her acting as your temporary companion. After navigating through trapped rooms you encounter not only frostbite spiders but a room with "rebuilt" Dwemer spheres. After taking the spheres out the lady explorer, impressed by your combat, asks about your past (showing that she wants to know about you). Afterwards you finally manage to get to the end of the tomb where you find the famous scholar's book on Dwemer studies and a mechanical lift that takes both of you to the exit.

After getting out of the dungeon the female explorer will thank you for saving her life. She will also ask if she could accompany you some more (which through the dialogue she is hinting that she's fallen for you). The player then has a choice to either pursue the romance some more (through a date and eventual marriage), make her into a normal companion (with the option to romance still open), or to send her off on her own with the book.

Just throwing this out there:

Having every single love interest be bi-sexual / blind to the gender of the character is a little off to me. And wouldn't it be an additional fun puzzle, AND more immersive / mysterious / like real life if the romance interests had preferences that you would need to suss out over the course of the courtship quest?

Sure, maybe make a few of them bisexual. But I think there should be some that want the opposite sex to marry, some that are gay. It leads to more character depth and realism, and to the potential heartbreak when you get to the stage with your chosen one only to find out that they don't swing your way :(

Not everyone in the real world is ready to marry anyone who comes along regardless of their gender, it seems strange to have it work this way in the game!

I think it would be interesting if there were more dialogue between you and your spouse. I feel kind of guilty every time I ask for money or food, without so much as a "Thank you, darling," or leaving the house without saying "I love you." The Romance mod for Morrowind was great; I really enjoyed playing that one. I just think it would add a bit more realism to the relationship to have a few more dialogue options with your husband/wife. Just an idea.

This looks very promising. I haven't even considered marriage in Skyrim yet because it's so flawed as it is. When this mods hits beta, I'm so downloading it. :thumbsup: Some more realism in the dialogue would be awesome, not just "I love you, I love you" over again. Even adding some small dialogue options would be nice, like "That dress/armor looks nice on you." or, when you ask for food "What smells so good, dear?" Little things like that. Makes it seem more like a relationship. :happy:

And, for the love of Mara, please make at least one choice a Khajiit. :wallbash: