"Romance Mod" (if you are into modding, please read this!)

NathanRyan

I see both sides of it. I think it makes the most sense to have one or two be heterosexual or homosexual, but if you happen to be the wrong gender you can always use the console of course but you could also convince them to be your "platonic lover" if you will. Best friends or whatever and just move in together.

As a modder who has written a mod with a romance in it I disagree with your position. The mod doesn't need to be written so the guys are making suggestive comments to male characters and the girls are doing the same to female characters unless the player has indicated an interest in that happening. That's how I'd handle it (and did handle it). Let each player make the choice for how to play the mod. A character doesn't need to declare his/her sexual preference ever unless the modder feels strongly it makes a difference to the story he/she is telling.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see both sides of it. I think it makes the most sense to have one or two be heterosexual or homosexual, but if you happen to be the wrong gender you can always use the console of course but you could also convince them to be your "platonic lover" if you will. Best friends or whatever and just move in together.

As a modder who has written a mod with a romance in it I disagree with your position. The mod doesn't need to be written so the guys are making suggestive comments to male characters and the girls are doing the same to female characters unless the player has indicated an interest in that happening. That's how I'd handle it (and did handle it). Let each player make the choice for how to play the mod. A character doesn't need to declare his/her sexual preference ever unless the modder feels strongly it makes a difference to the story he/she is telling.

Please allow me to define Platonic Lover.

Platonic - Intimate and affectionate but not sexual.

+Lover - A person who likes or enjoys something specified (the person of question)

You and your heterosexual best friend of the same gender could be what I mean by platonic lovers. You just need to fit the criteria of intimate and affectionate which do not require bodily contact or sexual interaction of either the physical or the verbal sort. So I don't think you do disagree with me, or you left something out.

The concept of this mod is really interesting. It kind of reminds me of the Willow mod for Fallout New Vegas. Are there any plans to update the existing NPCs that are eligible for marriage in Skyrim with quest lines of their own, or is this more geared toward creating new NPCs specifically for all new romance quest lines?

Personally I would like to do a bit of both. However given that we don't have access to the original voice acting cast we can't really do much there. I think to avoid such a problem we will likely just not touch the originals very much if at all. Then again I do not speak for the group Nathan does.

I am pretty sure we will get around to doing something though.

Edited by Sagenth

My comments on the gender-bending (for what they're worth): I thought Dragon Age did a great job making the bisexuals swing both ways without a heterosexual needing to worry about it. That said, I think an NPC should remain true to himself/herself. Again, take the Dragon Age games for example: If I only chose to be friends with Leliana, I never realized that she was bisexual (yes, I had some preliminary dialogue options that gave that away, but if I didn't choose them, all was quiet on the Western front). Same for Fenris in DA2. I didn't even know he would romance a guy until I read it. However, Zevran and Isabella, on the other hand, were open books. All you had to do was talk to them and you knew that they were very open minded individuals.

If all of the romanceables are going to be bisexual, I would prefer some from both category A and category B. After all, variety is the spice of life.

I have already started my dialogues for my follower/spouse. I prefer Uthgerd the Unbroken to any other available follower. I get her as early as possible and marry her as soon as realisticly convenient. In my mod, Just before you win the fight, you get a dialogue box that gives you the choice to finish the fight, or let her win. Afer the fight is over she will offer to accompany you. Regardless of what you decide, she begins to follow you. At first, she doesn't interfere. If you approach her, she denies that she is following you and puts it down to coincidence. However, anywhere you sleep outside, she is there when you wake up with your breakfast ready. After you finally invite her to help you, there are some dialogues where you learn more about on another. I don't want to bore you with details but the relationship advances from leader-follower to friends to friends with benifits to marriage.

I have already started my dialogues for my follower/spouse. I prefer Uthgerd the Unbroken to any other available follower. I get her as early as possible and marry her as soon as realisticly convenient. In my mod, Just before you win the fight, you get a dialogue box that gives you the choice to finish the fight, or let her win. Afer the fight is over she will offer to accompany you. Regardless of what you decide, she begins to follow you. At first, she doesn't interfere. If you approach her, she denies that she is following you and puts it down to coincidence. However, anywhere you sleep outside, she is there when you wake up with your breakfast ready. After you finally invite her to help you, there are some dialogues where you learn more about on another. I don't want to bore you with details but the relationship advances from leader-follower to friends to friends with benifits to marriage.

That's a very cool idea! I like the fact that the NPC has some agency and it is not entirely your own choice :)

Why don't you modify this from a romance mod into a relationship mod?

What I mean is, why don't you just include a bunch of different characters into it, with different story lines (or some could intertwine?), quests, and objectives in it?

And not even all of them have to be a sexual relationship, like friends, enemies, and guardians? (you help out an old women who then becomes nice to you, or you become a father/mother figure for a little kid)

I just think this would make more sense. Too be honest, I was kinda disappointing with how marriage was dealt with in the actual game, so i thought adding more diverse stories and objectives would make the bonding experience more enjoyable; instead of, put on necklace, talk to person, do side quest, marriage.

Doing this will make it so that there will be at least one npc that can cater to someones taste, ie, not everyone would go for the human damsel in distress, and go for the shy wood elf who stays secluded in the forest, or the blood thirsty Orc who is on a mission for revenge, or even the slightly psychotic Argonian assassin for a lover. (o.O)

Then again, this would probably be a lot of hard work, and since I have almost no experience in programming, or know what the skyrim modding tools would be like, I can't really say anything.

I just want a worth while romance mod, unlike that one mod for oblivion (romance of eyljia?).

I would love to help with writing stories and diolauge since writing is one of my strong suits. (I've worked on a few screen plays)

Then again, i'm likely not much use.

Can't wait to see where this goes. :)