Oblivion technical woes

Seriyu

Okay, so, after aaaages I got a computer that can run oblivion. Tried to install it, and after switching oblivionlauncher and setup to windows XP service pack 2 compatability mode, got the installer to run and we're in business.

Except if I try to run it in windowed mode, it doesn't take any keyboard input and will only take mouse input once the menu actually shows up. On top of it the mouse is offset with my normal mouse, about maybe an inch off to the side. Annnnd I can't click on anything on the taskbar for some reason.

Fullscreen mode just crashes when the menu loads up. Anyone have any idea what's going on? And how to fix it?

I can run oblivion as a note, I know this much. If you need specific specs I can dig them up.

Thanks in advance!

If you have installed Oblivion in the default location C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) you aren't starting out on the right foot. I'm not suggesting that that is your current problem, but the Microsoft security feature UAC doesn't play nice with Oblivion once you start to install mods. I'm an old WinXP dinosaur myself, but one of the moderators here is always quick to point out that he doesn't need any compatibility modes to run Oblivion on Windows 7.

Should you decide to make a fresh start here's a link to Bben46's Oblivion reinstall procedure. If you use the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top on moving your Steam folder, and don't neglect the registry cleaning step either, or old registry entries may come back to haunt you.

Oh yes, I've got a disc. I haven't installed any mods either.

The specific problem with installing it was that the installer was going amazingly slowly, taking about an hour for setup to even start. Does that sound like a UAC problem to anyone that knows about that?

Also how do I "remove" windows XP compatability mode incidentally?

I'll prolly try reinstalling after I hear about that stuff, because well, it's the only thing I have to go on. Thanks again!

The UAC issue will affect you whether or not you use a disk copy, so if you ever intend to install mods you'll be well served by a re-installation to a folder outside of C:\Program Files (the usual suggestion is create a folder C:\Games and then install to that directory, giving you C:\Games\Oblivion or C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion).

Setup taking an hour to start isn't the sign of a normal install. If your disk is clean and free of scratches and still takes a long time to access I would cancel out of the install once it finally starts and then try to access the disk with Windows Explorer. If Explorer takes a long time to show the disk contents I would tend to think you either have a problem with your drive (is it a Blu-ray or DVD drive) or if the drive works fine with other store bought disks then maybe you have a bad Oblivion game disk.

Well I'm assuming it has something to do with windows 7, because once I set it to compatibility mode with XP it loaded as normal. Weird.

EDIT: Now reinstalling oblivion.

EDIT2: Annnnnd now setup won't even run in compatability mode. :(

EDIT3: Oh also, I know that the disk is fine, I had a friend run it in her windows 7 computer and the installer worked perfectly fine.

EDIT4: Okay, the error message I get after "Now starting installshield wizard......" is as follows:

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (390)

PAPP:Oblivion

PVENDOR:Bethesda Softworks (http://www.bethsoft.com)

PGUID: 35CB6715-41F8-4F99-8881-6FC75BF054B0

$11.0.0.28844

@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) BT_OTHER 0.0

Linebreaks and all, if anyone wants to try to make sense of it. This happens after trying to run setup in pretty much any way, administrator mode, compatability mode, the only thing that doesn't do it is running setup the normal way which results in the normal mega long start up time.

Any other ideas? I'm still up for fiddling with this if anyone else is there to help out. :P

Edited by Seriyu