⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Skyrim Offline

JGARYP

I always said that Steam was a piece of s***, I hate it....Had to opened it to install the game but never touched it again

I hear many gripes about Steam, but no real reasons why people don't like it. Ok, there is the OP's problem, but that is easily solved with the right procedure. It's just an online store, and one that offers great deals too. For instance, New Vegas for $4.99, and many others too. There are even occasional full version games that are temporarily free. What's the big deal?

I always said that Steam was a piece of s***, I hate it....Had to opened it to install the game but never touched it again

I hear many gripes about Steam, but no real reasons why people don't like it. Ok, there is the OP's problem, but that is easily solved with the right procedure. It's just an online store, and one that offers great deals too. For instance, New Vegas for $4.99, and many others too. There are even occasional full version games that are temporarily free. What's the big deal?

Ahhh, the younger generation... so naive, so trusting......

The attitude is: "GET THE FRAK OFF MY COMPUTER STEAM, I'M PLAYING A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!!!!!!"

not naive and trusting... basic programming that worked

free demographics that we pay them to collect from us and then sell us more stuff its awesome...

I really can not wait until my single player games have ads during load scenes that are catered to my gaming preferences so I can be the first to get good deals.

Its not steam its a precedent set and idly accepting it just increases it. The internet has changed a lot from precedent and so have games.

The lack of freedom to choose is the problem and paying for the lack of freedom. Bethesda at least developed a game base what did steam do. Hmmm it holds data allows you to lease games and collects demographic info on your buying habits so it can make more money. And we pay for it. So ultimately where Bethesda created something Steam creates nothing but a movement of what is already created and skims off the top. Brilliant but unethical of course and some of us see that system for what it is and simply dont like being attached to it.

Sadly it wont change much at this point and in game ads and even games about ads are definitely in our future...

Oh and as for playing offline well offline mode of steam still is collecting data so there is no offline just not running full process.

we will play our games on remote computers and be sold games automatically in the future...

Edited by rabidNode

The attitude is: "GET THE FRAK OFF MY COMPUTER STEAM, I'M PLAYING A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!!!!!!"

Still says nothing about why Steam is bad. So it there's a client. Big deal. Turn it off when you are not playing. And who are you calling "younger generation"? Ha! Thanks for the compliment.

Still says nothing about why Steam is bad. So it there's a client. Big deal. Turn it off when you are not playing. And who are you calling "younger generation"? Ha! Thanks for the compliment.

Argerburgers.... Anyone on my computer besides me uses up resources that *I* paid for. They are not even paying me for using my information. I already purchased the game. I would have gladly paid more for a game that had NO Steam requirement, and I am quite sure I am not alone in that.

And offline mode does NOT mean that Steam is not collecting that information. When you are in offline mode, if you have an internet connection, Steam STILL connects to your Steam account. To me that's just RUDE.

Look kid, just because they have great deals don't mean squat to me. If I want to go shopping, I'll go shopping. I just want to play a SINGLE player game OFFLINE without someone else using up my computer's resources. That's not paranoid. I want to be paid for the information they collect from me and my usage. That's not paranoid either. They use my information in a profitable way. Why should I not be compensated for it? Oh, right, because it's 'just a client'. My butt.

Edit: OP - be sure when you DO fire up Steam to tick offline mode that you uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization..." under Steam -> Settings -> Download+Cloud. Else you'll have to reset all your game preferences every time you play. I was told by Steam that this is a convienence. Just another pain in the butt.

Edited by Susurruss

I hear many gripes about Steam, but no real reasons why people don't like it.

Or perhaps you have heard plenty of good reasons but you choose to ignore coss otherwise you'd have to rethink your own relationship with steam? :wink:

And Steam of course is pre-eminently for those that don't like to tire themselves with thinking and much rather have everything handed to them on a silver platter. Thats why you hear those people characterizing steam as 'convenient' and 'handy'. Those are their valid reasons. Plain laziness others would say. :rolleyes:

Anyway, natural evolution will in the end kill companies like steam. If the short history of the internet has shown anything it is that coercion and making things mandatory do not work and fail eventually. Over and over very popular programs and clients have killed themselves by trying to make themselves indispensable. It never works and it wont for steam.

Or perhaps you have heard plenty of good reasons but you choose to ignore coss otherwise you'd have to rethink your own relationship with steam? :wink:

Actually, after researching the matter more extensively (and Bethesda has a good thread on this), it seems that the people who have the biggest problem with Steam are those who bought the disk version of Skyrim. If they bought the game through Steam (like me) they obviously like it enough to send them money. But here's a quick question for disk owners: Is it not possible to install the game from disk and never update it, thereby eliminating any need for Steam?

If the answer is yes, then only reason Steam is needed is for the update patches. And since the updates are FREE, Bethesda has every right to choose the delivery method. Don't like it? Don't install the updates, pure and simple.

Edit:

Ok, it does not seem to be officially possible. That's a *censored*. But personally if I hated Steam that much, I would have no qualms using unofficial methods if I owned the disk.

Edited by gigantibyte

Actually, after researching the matter more extensively (and Bethesda has a good thread on this), it seems that the people who have the biggest problem with Steam are those who bought the disk version of Skyrim. If they bought the game through Steam (like me) they obviously like it enough to send them money. But here's a quick question for disk owners: Is it not possible to install the game from disk and never update it, thereby eliminating any need for Steam?

If the answer is yes, then only reason Steam is needed is for the update patches. And since the updates are FREE, Bethesda has every right to choose the delivery method. Don't like it? Don't install the updates, pure and simple.

Edit:

Ok, it does not seem to be officially possible. That's a *censored*. But personally if I hated Steam that much, I would have no qualms using unofficial methods if I owned the disk.

Perhaps you wouldn't. As far as the updates being FREE and not installing the updates, maybe you are forgetting that the updates are not adding new content, they are fixing BROKEN stuff and are NECESSARY. Oh wait, there are places on the web you can d/l the updates without Steam. Again, that's a choice for some people, but not me.

You see, I am an honest person. If I wasn't, I never would have purchased the game, I'd've just gotten a hacked version somewhere. But I didn't. I put my money on the table like an honest gamer, and Steam has been anything but cooperative with PC users. If Steam would stop bending honest PC users over, maybe I wouldn't dislike them so much. But they keep cramming stuff down our throats just because they CAN. That's offensive. If you like sitting back and taking it, go ahead. Rip on those of us who don't. If you like surrendering your privacy to a third party who had nothing to do with the game development, be my guest. I will continue to *censored* about Steam until the Steam requirement is removed from the game (which won't happen for years, if at all - once the final game patch and DLC from Beth are on my computer).

I just can't understand people who WANT Steam mucking about their computer while they are playing Skyrim. No, I do not trust them. I don't think they are evil. They are a business. But the only thing they can possibly use me for is information that they can sell. It's like they're going through my garbage, spying on my house. That's not paranoia, that's pure resentment. They are farming me for money and I'm not getting compensated for it.

/rant

Perhaps you wouldn't. As far as the updates being FREE and not installing the updates, maybe you are forgetting that the updates are not adding new content, they are fixing BROKEN stuff and are NECESSARY. Oh wait, there are places on the web you can d/l the updates without Steam. Again, that's a choice for some people, but not me. You see, I am an honest person. If I wasn't, I never would have purchased the game, I'd've just gotten a hacked version somewhere.

Well I see software as anything else I purchase, like a toaster or a car. Not sure about the DMA laws (don't have them in my country yet), but I'll be damned it I let anyone dictate to me how I modify something after purchase. It has nothing to do about being honest. As long as I'm not selling or distributing what I've done, I don't see any ethical problems with hacking something legally purchased.

But I didn't. I put my money on the table like an honest gamer, and Steam has been anything but cooperative with PC users. If Steam would stop bending honest PC users over, maybe I wouldn't dislike them so much.

Please elaborate on "bending honest PC users over". What malicious acts are Steam guilty of?

But they keep cramming stuff down our throats just because they CAN. That's offensive. If you like sitting back and taking it, go ahead. Rip on those of us who don't.

No ripping. Just want to know the downsides to Steam. Maybe it will stop me from using it. What is Steam "cramming" down our throats. After 2 months I have not seen this.

If you like surrendering your privacy to a third party who had nothing to do with the game development, be my guest. I will continue to *censored* about Steam until the Steam requirement is removed from the game (which won't happen for years, if at all - once the final game patch and DLC from Beth are on my computer).

Google, Facebook, Apple, and others are also guilty of this. I kinda got used to it. But knowing this, you can also choose not to use these services. It was publicized before Skyrim's release that it was going to be connected to Steam, but you installed it anyway? You could have returned the software if the box was unopened.

I just can't understand people who WANT Steam mucking about their computer while they are playing Skyrim. No, I do not trust them. I don't think they are evil. They are a business. But the only thing they can possibly use me for is information that they can sell. It's like they're going through my garbage, spying on my house. That's not paranoia, that's pure resentment. They are farming me for money and I'm not getting compensated for it.

Do you have evidence that they are collecting more than just your playing habits on Steam? What you wrote sounds like a lot of fear mongering.