How do I add new sound to the GECK?

WastelandMarine1775

you need to open geck, look in the object window for Audio... then click on sound, move to the right window, right click and select new, click on add sound file. adust attenuation distance, check stock sounds for a good idea on how to set them. flag Mute when submerged then ok. you can check stock sounds for other flags and settings as well.

if your sound is a dialogue then flag dialogue sound. if your file is a 16 bit mono channel sound wave you can click play and hear it in the GECK. no other file type plays, its a geck thing.

Thats all I remember off the top of my head sorry and having a pointy head I comb my hair and wear a hat so no one notices.

Edited by JoKelly

I should have said no other file type plays in GECK.

Now in game it could be several reasons, from no activator to the wrong format.

Some people have claimed that they got standard MP3's to work in game, while others say they don't work. what's worked for me so far , are 16 bit 44100hz sample, mono wav files.

using a sound in game can be as simple as clicking on the speaker looking icon of your file in the right hand window and dragging it into the cell.

when you made the sound object, down at the bottom are two sliders one for starting the sound and the other for ending the sound. you can set up ambient noises for your cell, exterior or interior just by dropping the sound object into the cell, with set times to fire off and stop.

there are people who know this stuff far better than I do. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Edited by JoKelly

Added some additional information researched on this matter to the "Music and Sounds" section of the "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

If you aren't getting any sounds at all (separate from music), try:

1. Go to Start -> Run -- type in dxdiag and hit OK.
2. Click the "Sound" tab and then click "Test DirectSound" and allow all of the tests to complete.
3. If any errors occur, use the slider to turn off Hardware Sound Acceleration by dragging it all the way to the left so it's labeled as "No Acceleration"

-Dubious-

Trying to add Battlefield 4 sounds to New Vegas and I've got all the files compressed to the right stuff but I have no idea how to add them. Can anyone help?

sorry I was dismissive about your request ... but do need some clarity on what you want ? Are you wanting to replace vanilla sounds ... or are they for additional content ?