How do I add new sound to the GECK?

WastelandMarine1775

Use audacity or whatever your favorite audio editor tool is and convert them to .wav (adpcm) at 32khz sample rate.

Clarification, please? I've been seeing consistent reports that it must be a "mono, 16-bit sample size, and 22 or 44.1KHz sample rate WAV file". In general, a higher sample rate supposedly produces a better quality sound, at the expense of a larger file size. Is 32KHz a compromise, or is there a specific reason for it?

-Dubious-

Trying to add Battlefield 4 sounds to New Vegas and I've got all the files compressed to the right stuff but I have no idea how to add them. Can anyone help?

sorry I was dismissive about your request ... but do need some clarity on what you want ? Are you wanting to replace vanilla sounds ... or are they for additional content ?

Trying to add new ones to replace the sounds that came with other mods, like Weapons of the New Millenia, just to replace those. I rarely use vanilla weapons so not trying to replace those.

Trying to add Battlefield 4 sounds to New Vegas and I've got all the files compressed to the right stuff but I have no idea how to add them. Can anyone help?

sorry I was dismissive about your request ... but do need some clarity on what you want ? Are you wanting to replace vanilla sounds ... or are they for additional content ?

Trying to add new ones to replace the sounds that came with other mods, like Weapons of the New Millenia, just to replace those. I rarely use vanilla weapons so not trying to replace those.

just make your audio file and name it the same name as the file you wish to replace then copy over the original. just make sure to save the original files some where else in case there is a problem.

just make your audio file and name it the same name as the file you wish to replace then copy over the original. just make sure to save the original files some where else in case there is a problem.

And making sure it is the same format everything / should work with no need to even open the geck ... well except to find out what file to replace.

Use audacity or whatever your favorite audio editor tool is and convert them to .wav (adpcm) at 32khz sample rate.

Clarification, please? I've been seeing consistent reports that it must be a "mono, 16-bit sample size, and 22 or 44.1KHz sample rate WAV file". In general, a higher sample rate supposedly produces a better quality sound, at the expense of a larger file size. Is 32KHz a compromise, or is there a specific reason for it?

-Dubious-

Sound quality aside. I think when dealing with the game engines use of sound files , which also depends heavily on the users codecs and sound drivers. I think it is always best to just use what was originaly there as a template.

But then of course the geck offers many ways to go around hard coding ... so to speak.

And all the different paths to make it play a sound I'm sure have their own level of leniency.

Since I was curious and I've always been told 16 khz 44100 is the only format that works for modding so I made a sound file in Audacity at 32 and Lo and behold it worked.

Now I have to wonder if the info about Dialogue and music having to be Wav is wrong and will .OGG files or MP3's work instead. The Base game uses MP3's at any rate.

Edited by JoKelly