[MOD PLANNING] Become Jarl of Whiterun

OnceNDone628

Hello everybody!

I'm OnceNDone and this is my first *actual* post here on the forums, so I'm a little nervous about being baptized into a new community. Worse yet, this is my first MOD PLAN! Upon hearing of the CS being released in a few days, I am about to embark on a life-consuming project. I welcome you to my planning phase of my mod, "Become Jarl of Whiterun". Yes, I'll come up with a cool name later. We all want to be Jarl. I mean, ffs, you save the whole realm, then you end the civil war single-handedly. You should be high king. But NOOO, you have to stick with being Thane. I mean, really?! And even then, the Chamberlain of Whiterun comes out with "Have you ever been to the Cloud District?!?!". It makes me frustrated that my efforts are scarcely rewarded and I think there are lots of people who share this sentiment with me. That being said, I want to make a mod to become Jarl. But not just that. I want Whiterun to be your own little playground. Run it however you like, psychotic murderer-dictator, or benevolent hero. Expand cities and build things, and go to war with other Holds.. Maybe even extend

I've:

-Never used CES before.

-Never uploaded anything here before.

-Got no experience in Mod Making

-Got no idea what the hell I am going to do...

BUT

I have an idea which will hopefully interest a lot of people, and even better- fill that sad void in the Nexus' "Quests and Adventures" category. My idea was to make a mod (In conjunction with some volunteers... cough cough) in which on can become the Jarl of the Hold of Whiterun. There would be a story (See later) which, upon completion, would grant you control over Dragonsreach as a home, control over the Whiterun Guards and maybe as a small army, the ability to build new buildings (Don't ask me how...) and possibly go to war with other holds (This could just end in tears), get profits, appoint your buddies as thanes, and get recognised as the Jarl... Now for somebody with no experience I have no idea how I can do any of this, which is why I extend my hand to you all as testers, idea-brewers, supporters and obviously- MODDERS. I will need a lot of help getting thi idea off the ground so please please help me out here, so we can provide a Quest and Adventure Experience which will make Bethesda want to hire us! Ah, if only confidence created mods... I'll need the following people:

-Voice Actors for the many voices required.

-Plotters/Writers for the story who will hopefully get this mod's back-story coated with a great main plot, sideplots and other stuff.

-Consultants for coding, and for the game, I.E. Lore-Friendliness

-Modders for helping me mod this damn thing

-Graphic Artist(s) for banners and also, for models/textures if needed

-Supporters (I.E, I'll download this mod when it comes out)

Now here's my plot-line....

1. A man (Called Bob for now) was a veteran of the first war. He is old and witty, and snatched a job in in Dragonsreach as a chef to the Jarl. He will be there for the whole game as one of the Jarl's chefs in a kitchen somewhere. If you talk to him before the MQ/Civil War's completion you get a war story or greeting.

2. Bob will, after the MQ and Civil War, get fired and go flat out broke, living on the streets of Whiterun. He will have a huge grudge against the Jarl (Whoever it is, Balgruuf or that Greymane dude) and talk to you when you walk past him, and bleed his heart out to you.

3. You offer to ask to get his job back... Go to Dragonsreach and ask the Jarl for his job back. He'll say no, because he doesn't think he's a good chef.

4. Go back to Bob and he will be furious with the Jarl and ask you to meet him somewhere so he can talk with you without worry of being heard.

5. You meet in some forest and he tells you (paraphrasing "I trust you and I need you to help me with my plan... I'm going to get revenge on that bastard Jarl... I want you to help me and if you do, It will be more than worth your while. By that I mean, you can get power. You can become Jarl in his place... and I get revenge plus a nice job as Thane, perhaps?"

6. You agree to his plan or disagree, where he says "I know you'll be back. You're sensible."

7. After agreeing, he will outline his plan. You coax the court and City against the Jarl with either money or favours, and they perform different parts of the plan.

8. Farengar Secret-Fire is a bit of an ass, but he is a powerful mage and is willing to hear your plan. You talk to him and in return for one full Grand Soul Gem or 600 gold, he will turn against the Jarl and support your revolution. He will reduce that douchebag Proventus Avenicci to ashes after you complete said favour. (Adrianne will react to this and become very upset towards this)

9. The Companions will join your revolution if you are Grand Master (That's instant), if you give them 2000 gold, with which they will build a mine or something... Or if you give them 25 firewood.

10. The Clan Battle-Born will join your side if you promise to murder one Grey-Mane... Or give them 1000 gold. Vice-Versa for the Greymanes.

11. The Merchants will join your side (Their leader is Adrianne Avenicci) if you give them 4,000 gold to decorate the city and revamp their shops, and expand their inventory, OR you kill a giant terrorising their trade lines.

12. Heimskr will convince the rest of Whiterun if you promise to build a temple of Talos in the City for 5,000 gold.

13. The Guards will support you if you talk to Commander Caius and you kill the Skooma Traders in the Whiterun Sewers (Just added) or bribe him 500 gold.

14. Now the whole city supports you and might greet you with "Good luck with the plan" or something. You return to Bob who returns to Whiterun in his old legion armor. You meet him outside Dragonsreach, and you enter together. The Jarl sits haughtily in front of you, and he asks you what you've done, and expresses his disgust with you. He confronts Bob as well, insulting him, which triggers a vicious attack from Bob, beheading the Jarl. Ouch.

15. Bob talks to you, thanking you for your help. He tells you to take these Jarl's Robes, and sit on the throne of the Jarl.

16. Upon sitting, you complete Part 1 of the Quest and become Jarl. Bob approaches you and clears his throat. You make him your Housecarl and your Thane and he pops out of Dragonsreach to change clothes into some cool armour.

WIP!!!!!!!!!!

POST HERE, OR PM ME WITH QUESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS!!!

i was actually thinking on the lines of.

- The Story would take place on trying to stop the war between Stormcloaks and Skyrim Jarl's. i've read that the main evil is the Thalmor (i dunno it's a big game i haven't gotten far yet)

- Building a new city, recruiting people to help and stop the Stormcloaks and Jarl's of Skyrim from fighting and taking down the Thalmor.

- Getting a General or something for YOUR Army to create a plan to stop the Thalmor.

i dunno, i partially think my statement is invalid...

Sorry that's all i got.

Here's something i've read from a Skyrim Player.

Although I hate the snooty High Elves and would love to see them out of Skyrim I think Ulfric's rebellion will do far more harm than good in the long run. Because right now, the Empire is basically in the Thalmor's pocket. I mean you don't see any Thalmor troops on the front line getting killed, only the Imperials. If the Stormcloaks and the Empire were able to come together they'd be able to defeat the Thalmor, but at the moment, all the Stormcloaks are doing is weakening themselves and the Empire. And the Thalmor is just waiting for both sides to become exhausted and then completely take over.

I want it to be available for both factions. The reason it's set after the Civil War and the MQ is so it doesn't conflict with those quests, such as trapping the dragon in Dragonsreach, or the Siege. The Thalmor could try to intercept your rebellion and you fight them off, and head off to kick them out of Skyrim. I mean, I hate them, and it doubles up as becoming a Jarl, getting your own army and kicking out the Thalmor. Edited by OnceNDone628

"Give companions 25 firewood and they start a revolution."

My god wood must be scarce...

I say make it a lot tougher. I mean, a seat as Jarl should be worth more than a gem and a few pieces of wood.

And shouldn't the leader of the merchants like... go against you? Seeing as you just killed someone important to her?

Also, there should be some people helping the Jarl. Like they learn of your plan and you have to put a stop to them or something.

Edited by phantur

I didn't want to make it too hard... Oh, and I meant that redguard in the market, not Adrianne's father... My idea was, straight after becoming Jarl, the Thalmor will try to make you a puppet, you which will lead to a quest-chain to expel the Thalmor from Skyrim. You execute a Thalmor informant, hopefully a beheading :D Then, you wage war on the Thalmor by attacking their embassies, making shifty deals with other Jarls. Hell, this mod could be extended into one which makes you into high king?

Sounds cool, but a word of advice. Don't bite off more than you can chew. I estimate that about 60% of projects end prematurely because the modder didn't anticipate how much work it was to something seemingly simple. I only say this because

-Never used CES before.

-Never uploaded anything here before.

-Got no experience in Mod Making

-Got no idea what the hell I am going to do...

My suggestion would be to start small... really small. Get acquainted with the toolset (better yet, with Fallout/TES old toolsets as they'll be 90% the same). If you're 100% set on your plot line then start with Bob. Make him and the first quest including his topics and conversations. Make it working exactly how you want it to.

Keep in mind that you're probably going to end up doing 85% if not 100% of this mod yourself. Don't give up it's a very rewarding experience and it's really fun.

The best thing to do when you're stuck: SEARCH. I cannot stress this enough. Every question anyone could ask has already been answered.

Good luck! This sounds cool.

I'd really like multiple options, but this sounds like a great start.

Building my own city would have course be first in foremost in my head.

The option to kill (or at least overthrow and imprison) Ulfric would be another. (Even IF I supported him during the war, I wouldn't want him running the show, especially with him as a potential High King.)

In future tense, I'd like to see this lead to becoming High King. Perhaps that would be most suited for building your own city. Maybe expand the map a little bit to fit in an Island off of the coast in the Sea of Ghosts? There's a pretty awesome sounding mod already that is making a "sailable" ship.

So maybe even a new zone that, once you go so far from the coast, you get to this new, semi-large/small land where in which you introduce "Kingmaker" elements into the game. <---you can find every Kingmaker book for torrent :wink:

Ultimately, I'd like, as Jarl to be able to pick my own council. That's an element that I think would be most necessary.

And further more, I'd much prefer by the end of the entire development to kill the Thalmor.

But that's just my two cents on all of this. Maybe it tickles your fancy, maybe not. :dance: *shufflin'*

Not much I can do, but I'd like to support this as much as possible.

Edited by Allephus