False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

So... there's been an interesting development. I use Mod Organizer 2, and noticed the "Hide inactive files" feature does not work in the current version. I know that the creation engine and its predecessors cannot handle more than 400 combined .esp/.esm/.bsa files in the data folder without acting strangely (even if they're inactive). I figured since starting a new game would produce the bug immediately, it was the perfect opportunity to test. I launched Wrye Bash through MO2, auto-ghosted the .esps, and started the game with the same .esps activated as before. No bug. No "corrupted" saves. No issues at all.

Can anyone else confirm if using Wrye Bash's auto-ghost feature to hide inactive mods helps the issue?

That's interesting. I may have to try it out myself.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... there's been an interesting development. I use Mod Organizer 2, and noticed the "Hide inactive files" feature does not work in the current version. I know that the creation engine and its predecessors cannot handle more than 400 combined .esp/.esm/.bsa files in the data folder without acting strangely (even if they're inactive). I figured since starting a new game would produce the bug immediately, it was the perfect opportunity to test. I launched Wrye Bash through MO2, auto-ghosted the .esps, and started the game with the same .esps activated as before. No bug. No "corrupted" saves. No issues at all.

Can anyone else confirm if using Wrye Bash's auto-ghost feature to hide inactive mods helps the issue?

Afraid not. I've always used auto-ghost with Wrye Bash and have had this issue since I started playing Skyrim SE. Btw, I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but the bug is not exclusive to the PC version. It's also present on the Xbox version as well, and was initially the reason I switched from xbox to playing SE on pc.

Afraid not. I've always used auto-ghost with Wrye Bash and have had this issue since I started playing Skyrim SE. Btw, I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but the bug is not exclusive to the PC version. It's also present on the Xbox version as well, and was initially the reason I switched from xbox to playing SE on pc.

Well there we are at least now we can say for definite that it was an update that has caused the issue to appear on certain machines, when it has been an issue for certain players on consoles as well ... All we can hope now is that Bugthesda will sort it out. But then I'm not hopeful seeing as to how well they sorted out the memory handling of Oldrim (that's right they didn't, the modding community fixed that as well!)

Edit/Addendum,

I was chatting to Micheal of Gamerpoets on one of his live-streams and gave him a heads up on our issue, I couldn't post a link to the thread but he did say he would check out the thread and see if he can add some input as to what's going on. so that's kinda good news ...

Edited by walshy71

That's interesting. I may have to try it out myself.

I can confirm that this didn't work. But I would recommend everyone ghost their unchecked plugins since it cuts back on load times, both loading the game and loading the save.

I think this bug has to do with the plugin load itself. The more mods with plugins you have loaded, the more likely this bug is to occur. Ghosting my unused plugins didn't fix the problem, but it did become less problematic.

So one solution might be to create a smaller load order for the time-being.

It's not as simple as that, though. I have 248 mods and about 400 files in my Data folder, and right now I'm still only getting the Bug very occasionally. When I was getting it every ten minutes I had fewer of both.

Sigh. I don't know if JLeavey is talking to anyone else, but they're not talking to me any more, and I don't know why. I can only hope they're still looking into this thing.

Lethiel

If we can get solid confirmation that this is happening on the consoles, we'd be in a much more surer environment, I can confirm for me going over 163-165 esp's now sitting at again a complete active loadout of 174 esp's has seen the bug re-surface for me ... And to be honest Lethiel I wouldn't hold my breath on Bugthesda fixing this, they didn't address the memory problem for 32bit Oldrim even though they knew about it, so I'm not even hoping for a fix from them with this!

Edited by walshy71

Been in an email war with Bethesda Tech Support. Several times they tried to tell me that this was a mod problem and not their problem, which is false. Even if it was a mod problem, they have created a product that allows and encourages players to apply mods to it. Ergo, they have to have some level of support for modded setups, maybe even setting up QA environments with the most common mod configurations (it's not hard to create or figure out).

I would encourage everyone who has this problem to contact their tech support with this issue directly. Start by going here: http://help.bethesda.net/app/ask/p/373/pf/PC and keep on replying to their emails when they say it's a mod issue by insisting that it's a game engine issue when handling mods.

Been in an email war with Bethesda Tech Support. Several times they tried to tell me that this was a mod problem and not their problem, which is false. Even if it was a mod problem, they have created a product that allows and encourages players to apply mods to it. Ergo, they have to have some level of support for modded setups, maybe even setting up QA environments with the most common mod configurations (it's not hard to create or figure out).

I would encourage everyone who has this problem to contact their tech support with this issue directly. Start by going here: http://help.bethesda.net/app/ask/p/373/pf/PC and keep on replying to their emails when they say it's a mod issue by insisting that it's a game engine issue when handling mods.

That's probably a more productive angle than mine. Also mention that as far as any of us can tell it's only happened since the last game update. That should narrow the field of search to things that got changed then.

Yay! I was afraid we'd dropped out of sight...

Lethiel

That's probably a more productive angle than mine. Also mention that as far as any of us can tell it's only happened since the last game update. That should narrow the field of search to things that got changed then.

Yay! I was afraid we'd dropped out of sight...

Lethiel

As a software developer myself, I can say that bothering tech support enough is usually what needs to happen. Eventually, they will escalate it to the software team to fix, if the issue is pressed enough.