Construction Set

kosmerm

So they would like everyone to believe. It is what we would call in legal terms a "puff" (as in hot air), or what you would call in cruder terms, bull poop. I hope no-one submits anything to Steam Workshop anyway, but for Valve to try and claim ownership of everything uploaded there is totally laughable. Even Bethesda don't own the Gamebryo engine and therefore are pushing their luck claiming ownership of mods made with the CK (being a child of the game engine). Valve at one more remove have even more difficulty doing that. It's a bit like the store where you bought and paid for your carpentry tools claiming ownership of the table that you made with them. Well (see below), this is how it would probably be seen where I'm from.

Game company EULA's and ergo the CK EULA's would have an epic fail when up against consumer laws as found in Europe. This is one reason that even Microsoft and Sony produce different EULA's for XBox 360 and PS3 respectively in Europe, than the ones that have been causing uproar in the USA. They would be flat out illegal in Europe, and now at last they are under legal challenge in the USA.

Bethesda DO need the finger pointing at them because they have held back the CK for the Steam integration that almost nobody wants. I do not think it should be easier to install mods, people will get slap happy, install a shedload of mods and then troll and flame the modders because they ruined their game. The highly professional staff on here swing the banhammer if it happens here, but I cannot see

Valve's agreement mentioned above is for a completely different game. Odds are, their terms for Skyrim mods will be different. MUCH different. Apples and oranges, people. Not to suggest that the Workshop thing will be truly useful for any but the newest newbs, but it's a bit early to suggest that they'll charge for mods, or attempt to subvert modders' rights. At this point, it really is all speculation. They're not talking, so anything we say is no better than guesswork. Edited by Trollkin

Yet more speculation. :facepalm:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoplegalagreement

Valve's agreement mentioned above is for a completely different game. Odds are, their terms for Skyrim mods will be different. MUCH different. Apples and oranges, people. Not to suggest that the Workshop thing will be truly useful for any but the newest newbs, but it's a bit early to suggest that they'll charge for mods, or attempt to subvert modders' rights. At this point, it really is all speculation. They're not talking, so anything we say is no better than guesswork.

Looking at their past actions, I actually believe they won't revise the agreement. They're greedy.

And no, it wasn't made for the game. It was made for the Steam Workshop.

I am sorry, do some of you got the beta of the CK? no? Then, can you stop speculating and screaming?

Seriously, we do not know. We might think we know, but we do not. Wait for the crying against Valve or Bethesda when the CK is out and you have seen how the Valve part of it sells all your mods.

Yup, that's totally what's going to happen.

That said, is it really this hard to see why they added a steam part to the CK? Not everybody playing this games knows about these sites, and won't bother to check it out. Now you can buy the game on steam, and then get the mods the same place. Suddently everybody who doesn't bother to do anything else, can play with mods. Why do we lose from that? We still got the nexus.

I don't know, it isn't such a bad thing having to wait for the CK. A lot of pre-planning and preperation for bigger mods are good, and models can still be made. Heck, as of now we are only limited by a small margin. Of course, we can't script, but we can both add new models and re-texture.

I fail to see the hate against Steam and all of this. Steam saves me problems, allthough the auto update pisses me off - it is worth it. It gives me an easy way to buy games. Now it also gives an easy way for new TES players to check out mods. What do we lose from this? If you are afraid Valve will take your so amazing mod, don't upload it to the workshop. I for one doesn't care too much. Even if I do upload a mod and Valve would own the mod, the content is copyrighted under me. Unless I decide to give that away, they can't touch my models.

I am sorry, do some of you got the beta of the CK? no? Then, can you stop speculating and screaming?

Seriously, we do not know. We might think we know, but we do not. Wait for the crying against Valve or Bethesda when the CK is out and you have seen how the Valve part of it sells all your mods.

Yup, that's totally what's going to happen.

That said, is it really this hard to see why they added a steam part to the CK? Not everybody playing this games knows about these sites, and won't bother to check it out. Now you can buy the game on steam, and then get the mods the same place. Suddently everybody who doesn't bother to do anything else, can play with mods. Why do we lose from that? We still got the nexus.

I don't know, it isn't such a bad thing having to wait for the CK. A lot of pre-planning and preperation for bigger mods are good, and models can still be made. Heck, as of now we are only limited by a small margin. Of course, we can't script, but we can both add new models and re-texture.

I fail to see the hate against Steam and all of this. Steam saves me problems, allthough the auto update pisses me off - it is worth it. It gives me an easy way to buy games. Now it also gives an easy way for new TES players to check out mods. What do we lose from this? If you are afraid Valve will take your so amazing mod, don't upload it to the workshop. I for one doesn't care too much. Even if I do upload a mod and Valve would own the mod, the content is copyrighted under me. Unless I decide to give that away, they can't touch my models.

No, it's not copyrighted under you. That's the thing, you forfeit ownership. It becomes royalty-free. That's the terms for using the Workshop.

Here, I'll give you a direct quote:

"You grant to Valve a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable right and license to (a) use, copy, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, modify, and create derivative works from Your Contribution in any media, (b) identify you as the source of the Contribution, and © sublicense these rights, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law."

...The whole thing is currently written for Valve games (only) - Skyrim is most assuredly not a Valve game. Different devs, different publisher, different copyright holders. The agreement MUST change for Skyrim, since it does not belong to Valve in the first place.

...The whole thing is currently written for Valve games (only) - Skyrim is most assuredly not a Valve game. Different devs, different publisher, different copyright holders. The agreement MUST change for Skyrim, since it does not belong to Valve in the first place.

Well, you're right in that aspect. Maybe I should reword my statement... I doubt they'll change the conditions required in submitting mods.

I see this as an avoidable issue so long as we use the Nexus. But what scares me is that a game company has the audacity to do something like this.

Edit: Whoops, meant avoidable.

Edited by SwampyTroll