More Comp Build Stuff

GTX460 has an official TDP of 150 or 160W, and that's what one should plan for, since they do that. Another issue is that SLI tends to create a lot of hot air inside the case (although 2x460 is not like 2x480), with some designs, which creates additional thermal load on the PSU. Even without overclocking 400W sustained consumption while gaming is likely.

You need headroom to avoid issues with cross-loading and voltage drop/rise under load. Top-grade PSU can keep perfect voltages, sub-$100 units don't. Within about 80% of their full 12V load, however, almost every OK quality unit is safe. Capacitors inside the PSU also dry out with time and heat, losing capacity and resulting in degraded power output and performance at higher output. Right away and especially with age, PSU become substantially less efficient and very noisy when working above 70%-75% of their rated load.

So a low-cost 600W unit is acceptable for a 2x460 system, but only just. The 200W above sustained power consumption that is "left" should be considered safety margin, not headroom. If one plans on upgrading eventually, it will probably have to go.

On the other hand, a quality 700-750W unit will operate at optimal load for efficiency, work quietly, and last for a long time. Antec EA-650 is perhaps the minimum you could reasonably use.

---

Edit: If you have two PSU, of course, you only need to keep the total rating in that range.

Edited by FMod

i would recommend this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012&Tpk=corsair%20HX650

get rid of both of your PSUs. use this. the Corsair AX and HX series are some of the best on the market. its well worth it....i plan on the AX850W myself. and thats double the one i showed you :P

If you're considering Corsair AX, might as well take Seasonic, especially recent Gold and Platinum series. The only reason Corsair AX are good is that they are Seasonics, but X-860 (not 850, 860) is newer and better built than the version that is sold as Corsair AX-850 and has been noticed to occasionally have noise issues.

Seasonic Platinum are the best PSU on the market today period, overpriced Enermax units don't even come close. Platinum 1000 is the first PSU in the last five years to match Antec CP-1000 on power delivery quality, while surpassing it on noise and hands down on efficiency. Gold series aren't quite up there on power quality (still very good, but there are quite a few better units), but they're as quiet as any.

However we're talking way outside what OP is likely to be going to spend. Maybe he could get Seasonic S12 or M12 series. Corsair HX650 used to be all Seasonic, but now I'm not sure, most their newer units are CWT.