[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

behippo

The reverential way in which people describe a "computer engineer" suggests a cutting-edge scientist, a top diplomat, or a Fortune 500 CEO. There is not one spare minute for such a person. Even "off-time" has to be strictly budgeted, diarized and accounted for. We're really lucky we got the paragraph-update on March 31.

Yeah because taking 5 minutes to say anything is the end of the world for most people right? The problem with cellphones and the internet in general is people take advantage of knowing they can just not say anything, disappear for months at a time(or pretend you don't exist, leaving you with the task to remind them every so often that you exist). Since you're not there in their presence.

I'm sorry but, even the Japanese, one of the hardest working culture in the planet can find time for this thing called communication.

/rant

Not exactly directed at this 'team' but your post did hit home there, because it's what I've observed for years from folks, and(not anymore) been on the receiving end of it. It's one the biggest reasons that I take up a "don't ignore people" stance, and try to respond to anything the best I can, regardless of what I'm doing. I've had 13-14hr shifts on 40+hr work weeks, and still made time for people, regardless of their significance in my life at any one time, and rather or not they are on the internet or not.

We might appear to be 'just words' on screens, but there is a person behind the monitor.

Edited by Lisselli

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a technical level, my understanding is that the SE API is unchanged on the Bethesda side. So, no QA should be needed for that. The work needed, based on my reading of Behippo's comments, is re-establishing the hooks for functions. I imagine that is a grind. But, more of a process oriented task than something that needs much QA.

The API being unchanged is nice but that's only a small part of things. Only a tiny fraction of the SKSE code deals with things at the API level. Most of the SKSE code is looking at lower level data structures that may changed during the shift from 32-bits to 64-bits. So re-establishing the hooks absolutely requires verifying each and every one.

My god, pages and pages of speculation and people judging how long they think it should take.

Well i will tell you how exactly how long its going to take.

It will take as long as it takes because no one else is seeming capable of doing it.

That must be because its easy and not time consuming right? ..right?

I check in here fairly often just in the off chance and always leave thinking wtf is wrong with these people.

Saying that hurry the hell up!!! :ermm:

Not exactly directed at this 'team' but your post did hit home there, because it's what I've observed for years from folks, and(not anymore) been on the receiving end of it. It's one the biggest reasons that I take up a "don't ignore people" stance, and try to respond to anything the best I can, regardless of what I'm doing. I've had 13-14hr shifts on 40+hr work weeks, and still made time for people, regardless of their significance in my life at any one time, and rather or not they are on the internet or not.

Cheers to that.

The API being unchanged is nice but that's only a small part of things. Only a tiny fraction of the SKSE code deals with things at the API level. Most of the SKSE code is looking at lower level data structures that may changed during the shift from 32-bits to 64-bits. So re-establishing the hooks absolutely requires verifying each and every one.

I was meaning to refer to the low level structures as well. Hooking those up again should not require checking to see if they meet a high standard. They will either test positively that they are the correct function or value, or they won't. There is no "standards" scale that I see for the work to be done on this.

Well i will tell you how exactly how long its going to take.

It will take as long as it takes because no one else is seeming capable of doing it.

Did you read the last page or two?

Apparently, other people who are capable of finishing it are not allowed to.

The reverential way in which people describe a "computer engineer" suggests a cutting-edge scientist, a top diplomat, or a Fortune 500 CEO. There is not one spare minute for such a person. Even "off-time" has to be strictly budgeted, diarized and accounted for. We're really lucky we got the paragraph-update on March 31.

Yeah because taking 5 minutes to say anything is the end of the world for most people right? The problem with cellphones and the internet in general is people take advantage of knowing they can just not say anything, disappear for months at a time(or pretend you don't exist, leaving you with the task to remind them every so often that you exist). Since you're not there in their presence.

I'm sorry but, even the Japanese, one of the hardest working culture in the planet can find time for this thing called communication.

/rant

We might appear to be 'just words' on screens, but there is a person behind the monitor.

Wow that went right over your head eh?

I would like to make just one comment here -- If you start ranting at people who are doing something on their own time and demanding results, then more than likely the result will be "**** off, we're not going to take this anymore!" and you will get nothing. CALM THE **** DOWN and let them work!

I was meaning to refer to the low level structures as well. Hooking those up again should not require checking to see if they meet a high standard. They will either test positively that they are the correct function or value, or they won't. There is no "standards" scale that I see for the work to be done on this.

64-bits stuff isn't merely 2x 32-bits stuff, and there were changes to the base stucture of the game as well.

Sorry, this isn't intended to be an April Fools joke or something like that.

I don't really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Again, sorry for getting people's hopes up.

Ahha, someone said there was an update on march 31st. I bet if they'd said this on the OP people wouldn't be so upset atm. I certainly missed this. Also tbh, I don't know the handles of the team, so I wasn't looking for this person's posts.

It'd sure be nice if they'd update the OP post sometime this month. Probably help soothe some of the people who are just looking to know the team hasn't thrown in the towel.