Two Handed strategy on Expert?

gigantibyte

So what would be a good tactic for a Two Handed warrior against 4 Silverhand melee fighters, who individually can kill with 2 or 3 hits? There is a companion, but he's not much help and has troubles of his own. With limited healing potions and magic, to win I kept striking then running back (and even out the dungeon once) to separate the opponents and to regain my vitals. Success in the end, but it felt really lame. Thoughts?

I have the same problem on Master. From what I've read, it's just the fact that characters are VERY weak in the early game above adept. There seems to be a consensus that once you start getting perks and smiting better armor and weapons, things shift to the other extreme: characters are VERY strong.

EDIT: Punctuation.

Edited by Dukkah

Well, if you're playing the vanilla game... Blocking is pretty much useless. I use the Duel-Combat Realism mod and it makes blocking much more effective. It actually stops MOST of the damage coming in, but it also makes all hits stronger. So you have to be very quick with your blocking and attacking if you want to fight off more than one enemy, I play on Master and it works a lot for me :D

I have the same problem on Master. From what I've read, it's just the fact that characters are VERY weak in the early game above adept. There seems to be a consensus that once you start getting perks and smiting better armor and weapons, things shift to the other extreme: characters are VERY strong.

EDIT: Punctuation.

So the levels gained due to raising the smithing skill (and subsequent stronger enemies), is offset by the armor that can be crafted? Is that with or without buffs? Because I recently exported my character into a new game to reduce random CTDs. Unfortunately, the export did not let my character remember any learned enchantments.

Well, if you're playing the vanilla game... Blocking is pretty much useless. I use the Duel-Combat Realism mod and it makes blocking much more effective. It actually stops MOST of the damage coming in, but it also makes all hits stronger. So you have to be very quick with your blocking and attacking if you want to fight off more than one enemy, I play on Master and it works a lot for me :D

The only mods installed, don't affect combat gameplay. I always like to go as far as I can playing as the designers intended, but I may give in soon. :pinch:

You can use some sort of hit and run tactics. NPC got a limitet hitrange and you can forcast their hits. So its possible to hit and dodge all their blows. You still need to care about the others, of course.

Additionaly you coud exploit the stupid AI. Get yourself of a high point (on a rock or even just a table) and shot them with arrows. They will just run wired around and thats it. Depending on what youre fighting, it works with meleeattacks also.

Edited by Cyrotek

So the levels gained due to raising the smithing skill (and subsequent stronger enemies), is offset by the armor that can be crafted? Is that with or without buffs? Because I recently exported my character into a new game to reduce random CTDs. Unfortunately, the export did not let my character remember any learned enchantments.

Couldn't say for sure what difference enchanting would make. I haven't gotten to a high level, but being able to make Superior level steel has boosted my armor rating by quite a bit. Combined with restoration magic (going for a Paladin build) I can at least take more than two Dragur without too much trouble now (block early and often!).

Additionaly you coud exploit the stupid AI. Get yourself of a high point (on a rock or even just a table) and shot them with arrows. They will just run wired around and thats it. Depending on what youre fighting, it works with meleeattacks also.

I would do this. Two-handed weapons have a longer-reach than their single-handed counterparts. And if you have a bow, then you're laughing.

I would do this. Two-handed weapons have a longer-reach than their single-handed counterparts. And if you have a bow, then you're laughing.

This is classic. What's the best two handed strategy? Use a bow!

All kidding aside, I know about the height trick, but as mentioned it's more of an exploit than a tactic. And besides, at least one of those Silverhands is not shy about switching to a bow himself.

Perhaps shouts combined with some time-between-shouts reduction buffs? My meager Whirlwind gave a couple of nice seconds where the Silverhands were out of balance.

I just realized, even though the export tool didn't transfer certain traits of my character (like shouts), there should be no reason they can't added manually. *facepalm* That will make a difference.

This is classic. What's the best two handed strategy? Use a bow!

All kidding aside, I know about the height trick, but as mentioned it's more of an exploit than a tactic. And besides, at least one of those Silverhands is not shy about switching to a bow himself.

Perhaps shouts combined with some time-between-shouts reduction buffs? My meager Whirlwind gave a couple of nice seconds where the Silverhands were out of balance.

I just realized, even though the export tool didn't transfer certain traits of my character (like shouts), there should be no reason they can't added manually. *facepalm* That will make a difference.

Not really. Many people manage it to complete this questline withhout dragons triggered. Means no shouts.

You dont need to rush in headlessly and expect managing to kill them all. You dont need to use exploits or anything like that and a retreat to recover yourself isnt a shame.

And trying to keep beeing out of hitrange isnt a exploit. As long as you dont abuse their pathfinding.

Another variant: Go into that area and leave it again. They will still be at that level, even if you come back with some levels more. At least i think so.