What is the state of scenic sharpness now ?

DerellLicht

I played SSE for awhile (after playing more than 1000 hours of original Skyrim), but was very frustrated with the fuzzyness of scenery. In original game, I was accustomed to walking across the countryside, and everything near and far was sharply in focus, even when I was moving. It looked much like what hiking in the hills in real life is like!!

With SSE, they've done some things to make everything fuzzier, especially when moving. I added several mods that I thought would help (Skyrim 2017 Texture, Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE, Rivers for W.A.T.E.R SE), I also turned off Flare, but these didn't address the basic issue.

Then I went back to legacy Skyrim, and everything was beautiful again!! Unfortunately, of course, there probably won't be any more mod development for legacy version, now that SSE is out.

Anyway, I would like some feedback on the current state of SSE mods now; are there any available which directly address this issue? I know that when SSE first came out, many were commenting on this issue. I'm hoping I have some better options now.

//*******************************
Later note:

Actually, much of my issues are addressed by this thread:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/312265589448686991/

Basically, turn off Godrays, change antialiasing from TAA to FXAA.
There's still fuzzy scenery in the distance when I point cursor toward closer ground, but not so much that I can't live with it.

I'm still interested, though, in whether there are other mods addressing this topic.

Edited by DerellLicht

The mod Sharp and Furious ReShade helped bring my game into a better focus.

Here are a couple of current mods that look like they would do the trick:

Fidelity Clear - Subtle and Crisp ReShade - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3628/?

Clean and Simple ReShade - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2338/?

How did this problem arise? One possible scenario:

X Video Card Company sales executives told manufacturing that "we want this product to be significantly faster than the product of Y Video Card Company". The manufacturing staff brainstormed ways to make that speed differentiation happen. They realized their card was faster in processing screen noise, blur, and glare and thus they had an epiphany. If they could convince game development studios to include plenty of noise, blur, and glare into their games, then their cards would be faster at rendering these undesirable artifacts. They visited the game developers and brought plenty of pizza and donuts. They hyped the noise, blur, and glare with words like "state of the art" and "taking gaming to the next level". They worked diligently to help the developers add these graphic impediments in order to help extend a frames per second lead over their rivals. They earned the respect of their sales executives and hopefully a bonus.

IF anything SEE mimics real life 3D vision really well. Not everything is in 100% focused.

I like it.

Well, I do alot of hiking in the hills around here, and I can't really agree with that... I have good distance vision (though I need reading glasses for close things!), and I don't see *anything* fuzzy/blurry when I'm hiking and looking around the countryside. Both near and further areas are sharp and detailed; that's also what I want in open-world games where I do alot of looking at scenery (Skyrim and Witcher 3, in particular). The original Skyrim (with various mods that I used) provided just such experience, and I really enjoyed it. Conversely, walking around the un-adjusted SSE, made me feel like I was perpetually drunk !!

Having said that, the fact that it can all be corrected with in-game settings, means that all players can have the experience that they want in the game. I've very pleased with Bethesda, that they didn't force the default view on the users, but made sure that the settings were available to provide what each of us wanted !! I guess I wish the options had been documented or discussed (by Bethesda) somewhere, but this forum came through for me again, in lieu of such.

DoF is ugly thing (especially vanilla) and it does strange "re-focus" things on distant scenery. So disable that, apart this. ENB or ReShade have verious sharpening tools that can make game really crispy (most ENB profiles tend to overdo it so its oversharpened, but easy to just flip a switch).

Skyrim is always a bit fuzzy in vanilla mode, you dont see how much till you install decent ENB or ReShade.

As far as reality goes, I have glasses, but even with them I see way sharper than anything in Skyrim, especially considering climate its in and no pollution in air at all.

Also would help if Bethesda backed from that super ugly blue fog everywhere.