turn anything into a container

Rattlerx5150

There is a way to do this im just not sure where to start

I seen this in other mods. You can turn any object in the geck into a container. you put a static object in your mod, lets say one of the static vaultec boxes

you put an activation box around it (i know its the wrong term I just dont know what else to call it)

you then put a default container under the floor , behind the wall

you link them

you put a script in the activator box

and then anything can become a container

I just dont know what the real name for the "activation box" is

please help

There is a simpler way that doesn't involve any scripting.

1. Extract the contents of the Meshes.ba2 (I always extract them to a folder on my desktop to keep my game clean)
  2. In the Ckit find the static you want to use as a container.
  3. Open the form and look at the file path for the mesh it uses,
  4. In your extracted meshes locate the needed mesh
  5. Move it to your data folder keeping the correct file path as vanilla! (This is important!!!!)
  6. In the Ckit place any container you want to use as a base and rename it to create a new form. (MyNewContainer whatever you want)
  7. In your new container form go to the mesh and click edit.
  8. locate the vanilla mesh you moved to your data folder in step 5 and select it for your new container.
  9. Done! Now you have a new custom container using a vanilla mesh.

Once you have saved your mod and closed the Ckit you can then remove the mesh you added to your data folder because you used the vanilla file path and your mod will use the form one from the meshes.ba2. This way you don't need to include the mesh with your mod because everyone already has it.

If you have an example of the method you wanted to use then why not look at the mod itself to see how it was done?

There was nothing complicated about the way i recommended and it doesn't even need scripts.

I do have an example, download bunker 13 http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13282/?

in the bedroom there are static weapons on the wall

the weapons are surrounded by red boxes

the red boxes link to containers behind the wall, making each weapon a separate container

I just cant figure out what the red boxes are called

Edited by Rattlerx5150

If you have an example of the method you wanted to use then why not look at the mod itself to see how it was done?

There was nothing complicated about the way i recommended and it doesn't even need scripts.

I do have an example, download bunker 13 http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13282/?

in the bedroom there are static weapons on the wall

the weapons are surrounded by red boxes

the red boxes link to containers behind the wall, making each weapon a separate container

I just cant figure out what the red boxes are called

heres what they did:

found the object they wanted, then added it to the cell, i.e. the gatling gun weapon. They then right clicked it and created a Loadscreen object out of it. Thats the item you see on the wall representing the container.

The next thing they did was they created a chest object for it, and placed it out of sight behind the wall.

After that they created a custom activator for each chest (the red boxes you were talking about) and added the script DefaultActivateLinkedRefOnActivate to it. they then added a linkref from the activator to the chest.

Not that complicated.

When the player goes into the cell they will only see the weapon, but when they hover over it (the red activator box) it will give the option to open the chest, and they can open it just like any other chest in the game.

Personally i'd use the invisible chest (like what workshops use) so that if the player clips behind the wall they won't see the actual chest and won't be able to access it.

so there you have it in a nutshell, hope that helps :)