So why did Alduin decide to attack Helgen?

stars2heaven

It's to keep the war going. Alduin eats souls. If Ulfric dies, the war likely ends and people are less likely to keep dying in large numbers. He needs to interrupt things so that the war keeps going and he can keep getting access to all the souls he wants. Killing a bunch of people and creating more souls he can eat certainly doesn't hurt things for him, either.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's to keep the war going. Alduin eats souls. If Ulfric dies, the war likely ends and people are less likely to keep dying in large numbers. He needs to interrupt things so that the war keeps going and he can keep getting access to all the souls he wants. Killing a bunch of people and creating more souls he can eat certainly doesn't hurt things for him, either.

Alduin shouldn't care about the war though. He's not there to rule, his sole purpose is to eat the world. It's why he exists. Keeping a war going when he's just going to swallow everything whole accomplishes nothing.

Killing a Dragonborn, on the other hand, removes the chains which are keeping him from doing his job. The only reason to be there is to kill the Dragonborn (and he does shout 'Dovah'kiin!') otherwise it's just dumb luck.

• 1 month later...

Alduin should be atleast the size of Chronos in god of war. In this state he can't really eat any world. Jörmungandr, on which Alduin was based could easily wrap his tail around the whole world. I'm guessing Alduin needs to conquer and rule the world first and then kill and then devour all beings on Nirn before he's big enough.

Alduin should be atleast the size of Chronos in god of war. In this state he can't really eat any world.

And why not? Size isn't everything. This is a world where belief equates to reality. The Khajiit can reach the moons by climbing on each-others backs, simply because they BELIEVE they can. You can exist simply because you BELIEVE you do.

Alduin isn't just a Dragon, he is the literal manifestation of the End of Time. He doesn't need to be big to do his do.

Killing a Dragonborn, on the other hand, removes the chains which are keeping him from doing his job. The only reason to be there is to kill the Dragonborn (and he does shout 'Dovah'kiin!') otherwise it's just dumb luck.

I must have missed something. When did Alduin shout "Dovahkiin" at Helgen? I probably would have missed that on my first playthrough, but I've run 8 or 9 characters through Skyrim now and most of them hung around Helgen as long as possible to try to catch everything Alduin had to say. I remember him talking about the foolishness of mortals and the failure of the Elder Scroll to defeat him, but no mention of the DB until Kynesgrove. I don't remember hearing the word until Mirmulnir used it just before he died.