⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

So why did Alduin decide to attack Helgen?

stars2heaven

I think he wanted to kill the Dragonborn. At the time of the game, the PC is the only Dragonborn (that we know of) in all of Tamriel, let alone Skyrim. The Dragonborn is the only one who could stop Alduin and his whole "Devour the World" shenanigans, so he went to Helgen to take out the one person that could stop him. Of course, he didn't know that the Empire was about to do his job for him, so he accidentally ended up saving his nemesis. If he hadn't attacked, or had just waited for another minute, nobody could have stopped him. I think this is just a case of Nice Job Fixing It, Villain

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has been brought up before but what if he saved the dragonborn on purpose knowing it was his destiny to stop him?

I mean we don't know Exactly what Alduin is nor his thinking, i mean he may have never wanted to be the World eater it was just thrust upon him perhaps he doesn't actually want to destroy the world at all.

The Dragonborn is the only one who could stop Alduin and his whole "Devour the World" shenanigans

I think it's important to reinforce the fact that something else is already stopping Alduin from 'Eating the World'. It's something he's always done, and it is in fact his entire purpose for existing, but for some reason, when he appeared in this Kalpa (timeline) he wasn't able to do it. That may explain why he opted to rule instead of just sitting on a mountain waiting.

Anyway, the only thing stopping him from regaining that purpose is a Dragonborn. Eventually, he WILL defeat a Dragonborn and he WILL eat the world. But it's not really the Dragonborn that's stopping him, rather its some metaphysical trial tied to the dragonborn. It's like a door, it keeps you from entering a room, but the lock keeps you from opening the door.

• 4 months later...

My view on this is that Alduin was just trying to kill the Dragonborn at Helgen, but when he gets there he see's all these people and isnt sure which one is the dragonborn and just basically says to himself, "screw it, I'll kill all of them!"
But through divine luck (maybe a little help from akatosh himself, since he chose you to be of the dragon blood) you escaped.
Alduin must have left because maybe he couldnt sense you or because he thought he had killed you.

well from the get go it looked like a prison break, whether it was for the sake of convenience or intentional, Alduin lands, he uses his voice to stagger those around the main player and at the same time freeing the play from his/her position, then he continually starts to essentially clear a path. Some may say it's coincidence, but those scientists of us know there is no such thing as coincidence and that life would not be so kind.

Maybe Alduin had be watching, from a far, the actions of the player character and decided to intervene and to set the player towards their destiny? makes sense, whether it is the reason or not, who knows.

I already figured this out.

Alduin, son of Akatosh, attacked Helgen because Lokir of Rorikstead prayed to Akatosh (among other gods) to save him shortly before the executions started. :D

Dhegonus: It is in Alduin's best interest to make sure the dragonborn is dead. Also, Alduin attempts to kill the dragonborn as he/she enters the tower with Ulfric.

Scorch621: There is no evidence Alduin has any knowledge of the dragonborn's existence as far as I'm aware, especially not where to find her/him. That is evidenced by Mirmulnir's surprise when he says "Dovahkiin? Nooooo!" upon his death as his soul is absorbed.

Edited by Nosdrapoel

I'm pretty sure Alduin would have some ability to detect another Dragonsoul, unlike Mirmulnir.

He was the first Dragon after all, and does have a specialty in the matter of souls. Finding that soul lodged into a mortal body might have gave him a moment of surprise though. I don't think he would be expecting to find a dovahkiin at his first destination.

Alduin has a trial to face, the task of facing down the Dovahkiin and either defeating, or being defeated by them. It's a fate/destiny point he cannot ignore.

He is forced to repeat the cycle until he defeats his opponent and can finally get on with his appointed task.

Which, is something he hasn't managed to do yet for the present cycle. Mainly due to the old Nord heroes throwing him into what could basically be described as a timewarp coma, and after that finding he now has to face off against yet another Dragonborn.

I'm pretty sure Alduin would have some ability to detect another Dragonsoul, unlike Mirmulnir.

He was the first Dragon after all, and does have a specialty in the matter of souls. Finding that soul lodged into a mortal body might have gave him a moment of surprise though. I don't think he would be expecting to find a dovahkiin at his first destination.

Alduin has a trial to face, the task of facing down the Dovahkiin and either defeating, or being defeated by them. It's a fate/destiny point he cannot ignore.

He is forced to repeat the cycle until he defeats his opponent and can finally get on with his appointed task.

Which, is something he hasn't managed to do yet for the present cycle. Mainly due to the old Nord heroes throwing him into what could basically be described as a timewarp coma, and after that finding he now has to face off against yet another Dragonborn.

I have a completely sensible theory from an atheist prospective about how the Blades knew what would happen up to the start of Skyrim - The prophecy is what Felldir saw when he read the elder scroll:

Felldir the Old banished Alduin with an elder scroll, causing a time wound. If the Elder Scroll is truly an object outside of time, then perhaps Felldir casted himself forward just like the Last Dragonborn casted herself/himself back. And, furthermore, perhaps the last thing he saw was when the Dragonborn read the elder scroll at the time wound - he saw Alduin and the Last Dragonborn fighting, but not the victor.

It explains better than the prophecy and fate idea how the Blades knew what would happen with the Red Mountain and Oblivion Crisis, and knew that Alduin would return based on what he saw, but not when, or whether or not Alduin would be ultimately defeated.

It explains the "Last Dragonborn" business. The Last Dragonborn may not be the last dragon-blood person forever, but was simply last dragonborn that Felldir saw with the elder scroll.

It also explains the Helgen situation - You're lucky. In this theory, if the Skyrim dragonborn had taken an axe to the neck, then it could have been any other dragonblood. All that has to happen is a dragonborn somewhere in Tamriel kills a dragon, then gets tracked down by the blades or sent to the greybeards, not changing anything at all.

Alduin likely attacked Helgen because he is confused, having just been thrown out of a time vortex, and it was nearby. The fact that he ended up unintentionally rescuing a dragonborn could have been a coincidence that ultimately had nothing to do with the prophecy - he unintentionally saved a nearby Dragonborn, making his death closer than it would have been if a different dragonborn came later from another province.

Edited by Nosdrapoel