FPS drops to 4 after upgrading system

VaKhajDar

I have the strangest problem,

Over the week-end I upgraded my pc to the point I only kept my power supply and my video card.

Yesterday I installed skyrim again and it really was unplayable, it took 15 seconds after hitting console button to open the console, moving around was impossible

Before, I could play a decent modded Skyrim without major problems,

now, at loading screen I have 30-32 FPS, ingame 2-5 FPS and in the menu 60FPS

this is in Vanilla and "fixed", I tried the atiumdag.dll fix TesVal and SkyBoost to no avail...

I use Nexus Modmanager, SKSE, BOSS and check for conflicts with Wrye Bash...

my old system specs were:

-Motherboard: ASUS unknown model (older model)

-CPU: Pentium D 3.2GHz

-Memory: 2x2GB DDR2 cheap memory

-Video: ASUS EAH 4850 HDMI 512MB DDR3

-Case: Thermaltake M9D

-Power: CoolerMaster Real Power M620

I updated my pc, only kept the video card and the power supply

the new specs are:

-motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67

-CPU: I7 2600K 3.4GHz, 8MB cache

-Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

-Video: ASUS EAH 4850 HDMI 512MB DDR3

-Case: ANTEC Darkfleet DF85

-Power: CoolerMaster Real Power M620

I don't understand, this really is unplayable, with a better CPU, double the RAM, bigger, better cooled case and the same videocard as before!

The only thing I still need to change is the CPU cooler, this comes in tomorrow, but this couldn't be the reason as the CPU never even reached the 50°C, as the case has 3 fans in the front, 2 in the back, 2 above and one on the side, I allso mounted the extra smal fan you can put on the Sabertooth motherboard, so it is decently cooled down

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, modding, changing CCC 3D specs, nothing helped...

Could somebody please help me?

Edited by DarkSoul1977

After reinstalling the game, finding 2 patches for the ATI drivers on their site, installing skse and Tesval and running YassirX's Background Booster i've been able to get 9-11FPS outside and 14-15FPS inside.

But when reaching hunningbrew meadery, it dropped to a mere 5-6FPS and became realy unplayable again...

It still is hard to believe that the game runned better on older hardware than on my new hardware...

Are you sure that RAM you got is even compatible with your mobo? Most folks forget that mobos are really super fickle (this is especially true if the board just came out) about what kind of RAM you place in them. It can lead to whole slew of problems.

I'm looking at your QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for that particular mobo and I don't see any Corsair 2 DIMM Sticks at 4gbytes each anywhere on that list. They are all 2gig or 1gig DIMMS. I'm going to ask that you double check and write down the part number for that RAM and cross reference the QVL to see if you see them on that list. If you don't see them, then you need to do the following steps.

Things you need to do before anything else:

1. Boot up your PC and see if it shows you have 8gigs of RAM showing. If it isn't you need to move to step 2.

2. Call Asus to double check and make sure they haven't added to the QVL recently, if it's part of the list you may need to flash your BIOS so that it can recognize your sticks.

I'm not saying this is your problem...but I would certainly try and rule it out before I move on to other potential issues.

Hope this helps you out, let us know how it's going.

Here's the QVL link.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/#MSL

Sabertooth P67 QVL List is the one that has the RAM listings.

Edited by stillinferno

First of all, thank you for the replies :D

@ Maboru, I played with this graphics card in my old system on medium, now the game sets them at high settings, but the low FPS is also there at medium settings, and no, no problems arised during tests...

@ Stillinferno, thx for the tips ;)

1- The RAM shows in the Bios... (pic1)

2- Could it be that I have to change the PCI Express settings in the BIOS? (pic2)

For now it is set (standard) in U3 mode, it can be changed to X1 mode, but I don't know what the difference is :ohdear:

3- I have found a BIOS update on the site, (I have v2001 and they have v2103)

Downloaded the ROM-file, don't really know what to do with it, I was always a little hesitating to flash the BIOS, so I don't really know how to...

They also have a BUPDATER Flash BIOS tool under DOS, would this be better?

http://i40.tinypic.com/wskcpg.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/b5mh05.jpg

I haven't had any experience with UEFI, so I can't really say whether you should update it not.

Something however is bottlenecking your system. I would ask on the Asus community forums for insight into this problem.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&SLanguage=en-us

Is it possible your CPU and or GPU are overheating? What are they at idle and load?

Asus boards are easy to flash and I highly suggest doing it. If your board is having issues with the card or ram then the bios update could fix it. If you don't know how just look in the MoBo book that came with board. Also go to Asus's website and make sure all the MoBo drivers are up to date, not the ones on the cd, if available. After reading many of the posts here and other sites it seems Skyrim and Radeon cards don't get along to well. I've seen many people having issues with the newest Radeon drivers so after doing the bios and MoBo driver updates you might want to look into trying an older driver for Radeon. Edited by Dominionz

@ Bullseye, I really hope we can enjoy our game sometime soon...

Because my wife playing Skyrim on her XBox behind me drives me crazy...

@ Dominionz, this is what I did HW/SW so far:

-flash BIOS (latest from manufacturer site)

-update all drivers (latest from manufacturer site)

-Installed my double fan cpu-cooler (Noctua NH-C14) that arrived tuesday :woot:

-tried with older CCC drivers, now even installed the AMD Catalyst 12.1a (8.930.10 January 2) AMD Official BETA drivers (link)

what I tried settings wise:

-disabeled V-sync in the skyrim.ini (makes FPS go insane in menu, there it goes up to 1320 o_O , outside it keeps at 8-12 on the stairs in Whiterun, inside no better :wallbash: )

-disabeled triple buffering (no changes)

For Stillinferno I put up 2 pics of the temps at idle (with 25-30 IE-tabs searching for info, ccc, fraps and ATI-suite open, yes, this is "idle" for me...):

with stock cpu-cooler:

http://i39.tinypic.com/25piwcp.jpg

with Noctua NH-C14 cooling the cpu:

http://i41.tinypic.com/34nf600.jpg

As you see, the new CPU cooler takes a whopping 10° of the idle CPU-temp and ads 1° around the case, possibley due to decreased airflow due to less room in the case

Still al I get is 8-12 FPS outdoors or inside, sometimes dropping to 4-5FPS

At the side of my case is a fan, right where the video card is, now it takes the hot air out, should I inverse it to take air in?

I have 3 front fans taking air in and 5 (2 in the back, 2 on top and 1 at the side) taking air out...

I don't think heat was ever a problem. As i said Skyrim and Radeon cards have issues. Well I should say the Drivers have issues as the cards themselves are fine. IMO, I think a new graphics card is in order, although sticking with AMD you may still have issues untill they get the drivers worked out. Other than that i think your system is pretty solid. Skyrim is heavy CPU dependent and you have plenty of oomph for that. You might want to think about overclocking the card and/or cpu. You should be able to get 4.5GHz out of that cpu no prob on air cooling. Might squeeze a couple more FPS out of it. Worth a shot at this point.