FPS drops to 4 after upgrading system

VaKhajDar

@DarkSoul1977 - You seem to have uncovered a (hopefully) unusual fix for ATI/AMD cards - manufacturing defects. One would hope that your problem is not particularly widespread but it's something that others should at least check out on their own rigs. Depending on the type of thermal paste used it can either be electrically conductive or capacitive. Conductive should show up rather quickly but capacitive could remain hidden for quite a while until certain games' GPU intensity could trigger a discharge.

Very interesting.

While overclocking is a great idea, it is not necessary for your rig. Overclocking in order to compensate for terrible coding is more akin to sweeping the dust under the rug. The problem is still there you're just pumping more power to make it "do" what it should already be "doing" without OCing.

Here's what I've dug up so far:

Do you have morphological filtering on? I read that was bottlenecking high end rigs for B3. The setting will be located in your CCC.

Also I see that your GPU is from Asus which is very interesting because I happened to stumble on someone else who was suffering from severe FPS drops on a reasonably high end rig (regardless of their GPU being Nvidia or ATI even). Do you happen to have a program called Gamer OSD on your computer? If so get rid of it.

Here's what I found on the skyrim official forums:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1328260-frame-rate-drops-every-5-10s-outdoor/

Pertinent Transcription from link posted above:

"Well...as far as I'm aware Asus does make ATI cards so I recommend you just hit up Control Panel>Uninstall a program and see if the Gamer OSD program is listed. If you have Asus Smart Doctor installed also then it's a safe bet that OSD is lurking on your system.

-Edit- Forgot to answer what Gamer OSD is, it's an Asus program that ties into the Asus Smart Doctor suite, it allows for screen capture/recording and real time overclocking."

I'll keep looking for possible answers...I read somewhere that going into the Skyrim.ini and changing the gamepad setting from 1 to 0 helps too. Have you done that already?

I also found this link

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1326816-skyboost-topic-3/

But I advise you read it fully and the previous two topics (if they are pertinent) before doing any of that...it is not an elegant solution like those listed above; from what I can tell it's a separate program. I'm sure it's legit but always err on the side of caution. Make sure you understand what it's doing exactly before you try it for yourself.

Like I said I'll keep looking for stuff that might pertain to your situation on here; you hang in there. I'm sure we can figure this out.

@Darksoul1977 - In case you still get the same results as before. Did you ever get a chance to try these suggestions out?

I never ever install GamerOSD, it sh*ts bricks... lol

being lefthanded, setting gamepad of gives me a handicap ;), but it is tried and failed...

After cleaning the gpu from its exess paste, tweaking the game, settings in ccc, slightly overclocking my gpu and retweaking my .ini I get an 55-60 outside and steady 60 inside...

fps during the startsequence are between 40 and 60

I am not getting the WOW kinda image, but i can live with it, as it's finally playable...

AA , anisotropic filtering and fxaa were set of in the launcher, shadows at low and radial blur at medium, texture and decal at high, and only land trees and objects reflected.

I had to go in skyrim.ini delete the line to disable AA and in skyrimprefs.ini set a 1 next to bFXAAEnabeled, ipresentinterval and iadapter, because the game was running fastspeed but with 70-80fps and this combo somehow fixed that...

I don't know why these 3 did the job, but this combo worked... what i find the strangest is that in the launcher I had to disable fxaa and aa, and as it seems i reenabled them in the .ini :wallbash:

didn't need a faster running mod nomore, I was sneaking faster than you guys can run :facepalm:

I have the ATI fix for 4g skyrim, tesval and the fallout stutter remover (this one stands on NMM as the "skyrim Assassin Wallpaper" :whistling: )

viewdistance is set at max ingame, didn't affect framerate...

I have the beta drivers installed (GeForce 290.53)

still hoping it lasts, and tweaking to see what I can and can't do...

One thing is for sure, my cpu and ram make for amazing loading times, even with my older, bigger saves...

http://i44.tinypic.com/16ie05z.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/v49lcp.png

http://i40.tinypic.com/23sdit3.png

the cleaning of the gpu has another weird side effect, before I couldn't alt-tab out of skyrim and back in without crashing my graphics driver...

Now I have no problem doing so, as I tried it to check my gpu temp I found out I could do it without probs...

so yeah, the cleaning of the exess cooling paste will have had an impact...;D ;D ;D

I know people are goin to nag me about the shadows and radial blur and everything, thing is, this didnt change anything before...

I'm glad it's working now!

Oh, btw, if you have fxaa and detail fade checked, the game will actually gain fps but lose visual quality. That's the opposite of what I thought at first.

It's strange; I can set my grass distance to max and it won't affect my fps at all, and the same for view distance. The only things that seem to affect my framerate noticeably are actor fade, item fade, and ambient occlusion (through my video card). The other things are pretty low-impact by comparison.

If you haven't gotten it already, the one mod I absolutely couldn't play Skyrim without now is Xenius' Character Enhancement. It's a full HD revamp of every npc and body texture. It also shouldn't hurt your fps noticeably, considering your settings and framerate.

ENB Brasilian also looks amazing, but that'll butcher the framerate. I was at upwards of 60 fps on a mix of high/ultra, but now I'm at 30-50. I cap at 30 to keep it smooth.

Edited by Rennn

@ renn, on my old rig I had lots of graphics mods, including Xenius, Nightingale Prime, Silly level of detail, and some .ini tweaks...

For now, i'll install and switch them on, one at a time, and observe what the'll do with my fps, I don't want to start up with 4 fps ever again!

For those with ATI cards who have problems, try to see if your card doesn't have too much cooling paste, alltough it is strange that I didn't notice this untill I upgraded everything else in my rig...

If you're unsure how to do it, you can always pm me, I'll be glad to help.

Thanks to all for the help and the consideration, I love you all (no, you dirty boy, not in THAT way... LOL)