keyboard Issue

starbrow

Hi all,

I have a problem where some of my keys are not working once I load a game. The Function keys and tilde key work, and I can crouch but I can't type anything after pressing the tilde and I can't move. None of my hot key work either.

My keyboard is wired (not wireless).

My mouse is wireless, but it is working fine. I can pivot around, and draw my weapon when I left click.

Any thoughts out there?

Many thanks!

Starbrow

When you press the tilde (~) key do you get the console 'prompt' (a small horizontal cursor flashing slowly in the lower left of your screen)? What's confusing me is when you say "and I can crouch but I can't type anything after pressing the tilde and I can't move" ... not being able to move is normal when the console is open, being able to crouch with the console is open is not normal. I'm wondering if the console is actually opening.

Striker,

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, when I press the tilde key, the console opens, but I am not able to tye any commands.

When I do not have the console open, none of my 'letter' keys work. I can press the Ctrl key and crouch, or an F2 to open inventory, but I can not move using WSAD or E, and none of my number keys work either.

I know it's not the keyboard, itself. It works fine now, or when I am not playing Oblivion. I think it may be one of my mods that is doing it, and wondered if anyone else has heard of this before.

I went back a few saves and played from there, although it is still happening.

It occurs when I first load the game, or when I go from the outdoors to an interior area, or leave the interior area. Currently, in order to get 'unstuck' I press the Esc key and quit, then reload my latest save. That works most of the time.

Could it be the number of CM Partners I have? I have 11, but only take 6 with me at a time. The others "Stand Guard" at my castle (Glenvar).

I do not have an excessive amount of mods either. About 80 or so.

I do not use Wrye bash, but I do use OBSE and BOSS (latest versions). I have the Unofficial patches, SI, and KOTN. I also use OOO but have had no issues with that all the way through main quest. I also use HGEC.

I have:

Glenvar Castle

Castle West Weald II

Sentinel's mod

Veronna House (completed)

Lost Spires (Completed)

Bladesong (Completed)

various CM partners

various armor and weapon mods.

Unless someone has a better idea, I am going to start deactivating mods to see if it gets better. It's the only thing I think I CAN do right now, short of starting over.

Starbrow

Here's a copy and paste from the [Controls] section of my Oblivion.ini file. Compare my keycode values with yours (to the best of my recollection I've not altered the default values). You'll find your Oblivion.ini in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion if you use Win 7 or Vista or in Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion if you use WinXP. Unless you turn off 'Hide extensions for known file types' you may not see the '.ini' extension.

[Controls]

fVersion=1.8000

Forward=0011FFFF

Back=001FFFFF

Slide Left=001EFFFF

Slide Right=0020FFFF

Use=00FF00FF

Activate=0039FFFF

Block=003801FF

Cast=002E03FF

Ready Item=0021FFFF

Crouch/Sneak=001DFFFF

Run=002AFFFF

Always Run=003AFFFF

Auto Move=0010FFFF

Jump=0012FFFF

Toggle POV=001302FF

Menu Mode=000FFFFF

Rest=0014FFFF

Quick Menu=003BFFFF

Quick1=0002FFFF

Quick2=0003FFFF

Quick3=0004FFFF

Quick4=0005FFFF

Quick5=0006FFFF

Quick6=0007FFFF

Quick7=0008FFFF

Quick8=0009FFFF

QuickSave=003FFFFF

QuickLoad=0043FFFF

Grab=002CFFFF

Do you have any mods that change keyboard assignments (e.g. Deadly Reflex or Unnecessary Violence II)?

I'll check this out. I have XP, btw.

I do not use UV or DR.

I do have KSTN's stylized stance though.

I have also been using Enhanced Hotkeys and Darn's UI. They've been on since the beginning and have not caused any issues though.

I'll look at your codes and see how they relate to mine. Thanks!

Ok,

I've checked mine against yours and I found a couple of differences.

Cast=002EFFFF on mine

Also Quick 1 thru Quick 8 are different on mine. I'm thinking that is from the Enhanced Hotkeys mod though....but what do I know! :)

Everything else is the same.

I was expecting maybe blanks after each. That they would be different I don't take as an issue, more like an expectation if you're using mods that change the default behaviour. I have cast set up to be the default 'c' or the 'back' button on my mouse, so maybe that's where that difference comes from.

One of the first things I look at when troubleshooting my own issues is what's changed since it worked. Adding mods, changing settings, updating drivers ... that sort of thing. If it went from working fine to not working something must have changed. If you can rule out hardware failure (by confirming proper working in other games/applications) then it has to be an issue with Oblivion. All I can suggest is roll back your changes one at a time until it works again, then you'll have your culprit.

Sounds like a plan. Has to be a mod. I can pin it down to about the last 10 mods. I went a spell there where work kept me from adding mods (or I just didn't like what I was seeing and didn't add any).

My biggest concern was an issue with how my saves were being made....like they might be corrupted. Still could be, but the simpler cause (mods) is most likely the culprit. Many thanks!

I'll post back if I pin point it. It'll be a bit as I will want to do them one at a time.

Starbrow