Where's the CK?

Trhanec2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of people might have bought the game for pc because besthesda promissed and even said they were trying release the CK on day one.If they don´t release the CK people who bought the pc version will feel cheated.I have no dubt they will release the CK but this steam thing attached is just worthless, they know that the tools to mod their games is what made their games popular (apart from bugs) I wouldn´t be surprise if this steam integration would be for them to have more control over mods we create and slowly starting to aim towards charging money for them. Edited by scot

There really is no defending the indefensible. They have no real excuse for not letting us have the tools to fix a bug ridden game.

1. They are working on Steam Workshop as a FAVOR to us. They thought it was a cool thing to integrate so they are working hard on it. I for one am excited about the possibilities.

2. We are not ENTITLED to their source files NOR the Creation Kit. These things are a GIFT that they allow us to use freely. I can count, on one hand, the number of companies that allow such a kit to be released without any money involved.

Where the hell is all this entitlement crap coming from? Just because a game has bugs, doesn't mean you are entitled to get the SDK to "fix" it. Give me a break.

Still not discovered your manners, I see. Do stop sneering in this manner at your fellow members.

1. Steam Workshop is neither a favour, since it is largely unwanted, nor is it cool. It will allow people who do not know how to use mods and do not think that they need to look at file structures, consider mod conflicts and so forth to download a shedload of mods at a tap of a smartphone, and turn their game into a trainwreck. You only have to look at the blank incomprehension expressed by users who could not install simple mesh and texture replacers for New Vegas without it being in the form of a FOMOD to realise that there are such users, and the mod I am thinking of had explicit step by step instructions. I realised early on that you had to have some knowledge and understanding of what you were installing, and learned this so well that I am now trusted to beta test mods. And when a modder sends me a beta, as happened to me recently, one of the first things I do is extract the files to a safe location and examine them. If it is a landscape mod I will ask what exact cells it modifies in order to check for conflicts, or will have the plugin open myself with the CS. And guess what, I do not break my game.

Easier is not better. And since I suspect that there will be no support over at Steam Workshop, guess where the trolls will come looking for the modders? Here of course. Not that many modders will likely upload at Steam Workshop, but there is no accounting for leeching.

2. Well, Bethesda do not own the game engine and ergo not the Creation Kit, they have a license. I am truly amazed that anyone could ever think that it is acceptable for Bugthesda to charge good money for a seriously bug ridden beta release such as Skyrim, and then beggar off and neither fix the bugs themselves, nor give us the toolkit for us users to do it, because they are more interested in ruddy Steam Workshop.

Many PC users only buy Bethesda's games because they invariably come with a toolkit/CK (and yes we WERE promised one with Skyrim). They are always buggy (the name Bugthesda was not invented by me), but we are usually given the tools to fix both the original bugs AND the new ones that every Beth patch creates.

To exacerbate the problem, there will be a LOT of newbies just coming in to Bethesda games that won't even know what a mod IS until they see it on Steam. And imagine the fun our console friends will have installing/getting mods to work in harmony for the first time!

This... could be really, really interesting in a sad, why God why, sort of way.

On the bright side of things, while with Oblivion I was only interested in combining clothing mods, I may actually end up modding some for Skyrim. Not having the CK has forced me to get some software that enables me to crack Skyrim open and see the file paths and everything. I'm figuring out things on my own, slowly. I think this time will, ultimately, make me a better gamer that understands the game construction (pun intended) and will be less likely to break the game as often as I did at first.

That's one less person that will coming here with OMG MY GAMME NO WORK NOW!!! threads. :tongue: :biggrin:

having to wait helps me detail my ideas for a mod I am working on on paper. Every day it gets fine tuned. With that said, I also play quite a few other games - BF3, LOTRO, LOTR War in the North, and SWTOR- while I wait. They also give me brilliant ideas to add to my mod. Oh yes I am getting impatient but I like it.

PC users don't buy Bethesda games just for the chance to use the CK, they buy them to, you know, play the game and experience the story. And they do own the Creation Kit since they built it up from the gamebryo engine.

As has been probably said millions of times before, Skyrim is a massive complex game, massive complex games are bound to have more bugs then other games.

Actually you are incorrect. A lot of the reason I chose to get Skyrim verses another game was beCAUSE of the modding potential. I knew that the wonderful modders on this site and others would soon be turning out works of art, I was STILL playing Oblivion thanks to all the modding. Elder Scroll games are the only ones I've ever played for more than a week. In this economy, Skyrim was the only smart buy because my game play will be extended due to the modding.

And it's not a "pay to play" which makes my wallet sigh in relief.

PC users don't buy Bethesda games just for the chance to use the CK, they buy them to, you know, play the game and experience the story. And they do own the Creation Kit since they built it up from the gamebryo engine.

As has been probably said millions of times before, Skyrim is a massive complex game, massive complex games are bound to have more bugs then other games.

But Bethesda only have a licence for the game engine, they don't even own that, therefore it is an extremely wobbly claim to make to say that they own anything made with the CK.