Anyone else...

JanusForbeare

24 members have voted

1. 1. How do you spend most of your 'Skyrim time'?

• Playing the game, duh.
    • Designing my mod(s) and waiting for the ^$*#ing CK.
    • Screw the CK, I'm already modding the custard out of Skyrim.
    • Divided equally between mod-design and gaming.

I find that I'm spending so much time scripting my upcoming companion mod that I rarely play Skyrim anymore. This partly has to do with the appeal of the work (50 pages in and still loving it) and partly has to do with the fact that vanilla Skyrim is like vanilla ice cream: delicious, but it gets old fast.

So, I'm interested to hear from the rest of the community: now that the game has been out for a couple of months, how do you spend your "Skyrim time"?

I like how you are comparing Skyrim with vanilla ice cream, it's true.

I'm actually spending more time reading other people's stories then creating my own. After 200 hours, I need a break.

It's like eating the same delicious meal every day, no matter how much you like it, you'll get sick of it if you're consuming it too much in small time frames.

Great, now I'm hungry.

I have spent a little bit of time playing with Skyrim files, and a lot of time fighting with Skyrim and the AMD crossfire drivers :laugh: . It seems that Bethesda and AMD (mobile) are duking it out to see who can break it the worst. Started off nicely, than Bethesda threw a mean right hook (patch 1.1) than AMD responded with the 11.11 drivers :P. Anyways, it went back and forth between patch 1.2 and driver 11.12 a/b/c (I think 'a' was the trouble maker with the BSOD), than patch 1.3, and now with preview drivers 12.1 I think I will just take a few week/month vacation from Skyrim with all the screen/shadow flickering and the performance still isn't great. Who knows, the war may be over when I get back :D . I think that will be a good idea because for about a week over the holiday break I lived on a couch with my laptop beside it :sweat: .

That was my problem with Morrowind. I got so involved on this huge mod I was making involving Mogs that I never even finished the actual game. I had created hundreds of my own textures.

Luckily, the graphic quality of Skyrim is beyond what I consider my ability to add to or improve with my limited knowledge and talents.

By the time Skyrim came out, I'd been modding Oblivion at least 75% more than playing it.

I'm pretty sure that when the CK comes out, I'll be doing at least 25% modding versus playing, while I fix things-- i.e., add more dialogue to my favorite followers, give follower options to the non-followers, etc.; and then there's the other stuff that'll make it more of a 50-50 split-- like Rabbit Revenge and new followers-- that I'll collaborate on with friends.

I wish I new how. Don't even now where to start, kind of frustrating because I do 3d modelling for industrial equipment. I use Solidworks 2012, I wonder if it is anything like the programs needed for modding.

If you can do that, I bet you can work out how to use other modeling programs-- after all, a lot of the work that goes into learning about modding is being willing to learn (the rest is being willing to make mistakes!). Might want to check out the 3D tools forum as a starting point.

Welcome to modding!

I wish I new how. Don't even now where to start, kind of frustrating because I do 3d modelling for industrial equipment. I use Solidworks 2012, I wonder if it is anything like the programs needed for modding.

If you can do that, I bet you can work out how to use other modeling programs-- after all, a lot of the work that goes into learning about modding is being willing to learn (the rest is being willing to make mistakes!). Might want to check out the 3D tools forum as a starting point.

Welcome to modding!

Thanks! Any programs you can recommend, and are they free?