Come on Bethesda....

scottym23

From what I understand, Vikings wore chain mail when available, usually the armour consisted of tanned leather mixed with cloth(like a sweater but more loose fitting). Swords were kept simple, as were axes. When I was in Norway 2006, the museums had some amazing collections of swords and helmets, some swords had runes etched into them, armour representation was scarce, helmets had no horns or wings lol, they had what looked like visors to shield the eyes. So yeah I don't think there is a true representation of what you could call Nord armour in our historical sense. In gaming terms, the steel armour with bits of fur sticking out is closest you'll get to Nord. It would have to be modeled and modded into the game.

Thank you so much Anunnak for reading the Topic post and understanding what I was proposing all along, a Nordic armor mod! Your description of an in game Nord armor sounds good. Thanks for your input!

- Ok lots of people have made good points to what you are asking, but here is the main thing.

What the original post really should say - " I want different steel armor models with the Celtic designs on the helmet and Chest piece. And possibly some other armor types with similar designs." or if you want something different on them, then use your words and tell the modding community what you actually want. At that point it is actually a useful request.

What everyone else is pointing out is that your original post is worded... erm, poorly I suppose. What you are asking in the original post is what people have been repeatedly telling you " All the leather, fur, iron, etc. armor in the game is indeed already Nordic. If you are an RP person then the reason it is Nordic is because of the years that it takes to develop the skills and techniques the blacksmiths use to create the means for the armor. And the basic leather and fur armor differs from morrowind and Oblivion doesn't it? so then yes it is only skyrim's leather and fur armor and therefore, Nordic.

As you are arguing game name/ mechanics occasionally then here goes that part of it as well. The reason it is called Nordic in the data files is to differentiate between steel armor sets and that is the reason alone. The models cannot have the same name. So stop arguing the Role play bit then pull information from the data files because your arguing both sides of the story.

- Ok lots of people have made good points to what you are asking, but here is the main thing.

What the original post really should say - " I want different steel armor models with the Celtic designs on the helmet and Chest piece. And possibly some other armor types with similar designs." or if you want something different on them, then use your words and tell the modding community what you actually want. At that point it is actually a useful request.

What everyone else is pointing out is that your original post is worded... erm, poorly I suppose. What you are asking in the original post is what people have been repeatedly telling you " All the leather, fur, iron, etc. armor in the game is indeed already Nordic. If you are an RP person then the reason it is Nordic is because of the years that it takes to develop the skills and techniques the blacksmiths use to create the means for the armor. And the basic leather and fur armor differs from morrowind and Oblivion doesn't it? so then yes it is only skyrim's leather and fur armor and therefore, Nordic.

As you are arguing game name/ mechanics occasionally then here goes that part of it as well. The reason it is called Nordic in the data files is to differentiate between steel armor sets and that is the reason alone. The models cannot have the same name. So stop arguing the Role play bit then pull information from the data files because your arguing both sides of the story.

In my original post I said, "I think a mod is in order to create the rest of this unfinished armor set, which would be the steel nordic full helmet, steel nordic armor, and steel nordic boots." as my closing sentence. I think it's pretty clear that it would be ideal for the steel Nordic armor parts that would complement the steel Nordic gauntlets would be similar in looks. I don't know how much clearer I could possibly be. As for the lore bit, I would have never even discussed that at all if someone didn't bring it up, infact I even said that this thread had nothing to do with the lore aspect whatsoever.

• 1 year later...

Actually...any armor EXCEPT those that are named after a particular race is Nordic armor. For example, Leather Armor, Steel Armor, Guard Armor, Ebony Armor, Hide, Fur, etc are all Nordic-type or Nordic-variantions of that armor since you're in Skyrim.

Except for Elven and Orcish armor, I really can't think of any armor that ISNT Nordic/Nordic-variant since this IS Skyrim we're talking about.

Actually....no? Excuse my rudeness but you make no sense. Saying that Leather, steel Guard, ebony, hide, and fur armors are Nord armors is like saying arrows are Nord weapons...That isn't the case at all. Just because a Nord may use these at some time doesn't mean that they are associated with that race. Just as you previously stated, "Except for Elven and Orcish armor," Orcish armor and Elven armor are associated with their respected races because they are iconic and a symbol of that race. Thinking that a weapon or armor is "Nordic" just because it's in Skyrim is extremely foolish.

No need to name call.

Anyway, you're really missing the mark. Think about it this way, when a Nord in Skyrim goes out and hunts a deer to make leather, and then turns that leather either into Hide Armor or Leather Armor, that is in fact "Nordic Leather Armor" or "Nordic Hide Armor." The thing is, we don't need everything tagged 'Nordic' just drive home something that painfully obvious.

Now, another example, think about the weapons and armor tagged 'Elven.' Do you honestly believe that those are the only types of swords and armor the Elves use? The answer is no. But those are weapons/armor typical of what might be found in Summerset Isles. The same is true of Skyrim, there is no one special set of armor or weapons that exclusively Nordic, Skyrim is a big place, and its people feature many types of armor and weapons that they can call their own.

You are in Skyrim, home of the Nords. Unless it is otherwise stated, it is safe to assume that pretty much everything around you is "Nordic." Bethesda even included tags on certain items like "Imperial Sword" and "Elven Sword" to help you realize that.

So, otherwise can I ask what would make you think that the Leather Armor found or made in the Nordic homeland isn't 'Nordic Leather Armor,' or do you honestly need the 'Nordic' tag put on every item?

You're actually the one missing the mark. Telling me it doesn't matter if the 'Nordic' tag is on a specific item, when clearly that's what I was asking for when I created this topic, is pretty pointless don't you think? You're trying to tell me what I said isn't what I meant, when i'm pretty sure I know what I meant better then you do. And no need for name calling? I said what he was referring to wasn't true, and that his way of thinking was foolish, not him personally. So please don't make accusations that I'm name calling when i'm really not. And even if I did call him foolish (Which I didn't) that's the least insulting insult there is..you shouldn't take much offense to that.

You were asking for 'Nordic' items...in Skyrim, the Nordic homeland. Pardon us if we don't want 'Nordic' tags written on everything from leather to hide to steel. It's Skyrim, you should be assuming it's Nordic.

That's like asking where the Japanese food is when you're sitting in a Japanese restaurant with a pile of sushi in front of you. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/rolleyes.gif

When you see Sushi, what do you think? "Oh that Japanese food". When you see fur armor, what do you think? "Oh, that Nordic armor." <------Not so much... That's all I really have to say for that really, since that's all I really need to say. And as for the 'Nordic' Tags, You read my main topic post, knew what I was looking for, and yet post anyway. Very smart of you good sir.

Literally true. But in this case the reference is to the leather, iron, etc armours found in Skyrim. They're standard armours, yes, but they're in a Nordic style. They're just not overly decorated in the Nordic style because they are just mundane armours.

Compare these two plate armours (let's assume they're both made from either iron or steel).

http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/originals/89/14/e8/8914e8bb36c017e315948936fc4c75f5.jpghttp://www.talismancoins.com/catalog/Suit_of_Gothic_Plate_Armor.jpg

Different cultures, same material. In game the armours that are labeled with the name of a culture are so because they're supposedly of a higher class or tier than ordinary armour. The kind a veteran or hero might wear, for example. Everything else is in the local style, but it's just normal all the same.

Jeez.

I don't want to sound like idiot, but to me the first post seemed like the OP requested only one thing, and everyone overreacted.

Steel NORDIC gauntlets:
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Nordic_Gauntlets

These are only items of the steel set that are called "Nordic", other items are:
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Cuffed_Boots CUFFED
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Armor_(Armor_Piece) Just Steel
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Horned_Helmet Horned

Possibly OP didn't know that these belong to the same set, maybe he didn't know other parts exist or he wanted them to be called "Steel Nordic Boots", "Steel Nordic Cuirass", "Steel Nordic Helmet"

But that's what I think he wanted.

Edit:
If possible, please confirm if I was right, so I can laugh at the guys who were wrong.

It's part of my job.

Edited by Guest

Actually...any armor EXCEPT those that are named after a particular race is Nordic armor. For example, Leather Armor, Steel Armor, Guard Armor, Ebony armor, Hide, Fur, etc are all Nordic-type or Nordic-variantions of that armor since you're in Skyrim.

Except for Elven and Orcish armor, I really can't think of any armor that ISNT Nordic/Nordic-variant since this IS Skyrim we're talking about.

False. Ebony armor is mostly used by Dark Elves and Orcs and is not a "nordic armor". While I see your point - and it's well made - it's false on that part.

Actually...any armor EXCEPT those that are named after a particular race is Nordic armor. For example, Leather Armor, Steel Armor, Guard Armor, Ebony Armor, Hide, Fur, etc are all Nordic-type or Nordic-variantions of that armor since you're in Skyrim.

Actually....no? Excuse my rudeness but you make no sense. Saying that Leather, steel Guard, ebony, hide, and fur armors are Nord armors is like saying arrows are Nord weapons...That isn't the case at all. Just because a Nord may use these at some time doesn't mean that they are associated with that race. Just as you previously stated, "Except for Elven and Orcish armor," Orcish armor and Elven armor are associated with their respected races because they are iconic and a symbol of that race. Thinking that a weapon or armor is "Nordic" just because it's in Skyrim is extremely foolish.

No need to name call.

Anyway, you're really missing the mark. Think about it this way, when a Nord in Skyrim goes out and hunts a deer to make leather, and then turns that leather either into Hide Armor or Leather Armor, that is in fact "Nordic Leather Armor" or "Nordic Hide Armor." The thing is, we don't need everything tagged 'Nordic' just drive home something that painfully obvious.

Now, another example, think about the weapons and armor tagged 'Elven.' Do you honestly believe that those are the only types of swords and armor the Elves use? The answer is no. But those are weapons/armor typical of what might be found in Summerset Isles. The same is true of Skyrim, there is no one special set of armor or weapons that exclusively Nordic, Skyrim is a big place, and its people feature many types of armor and weapons that they can call their own.

You are in Skyrim, home of the Nords. Unless it is otherwise stated, it is safe to assume that pretty much everything around you is "Nordic." Bethesda even included tags on certain items like "Imperial Sword" and "Elven Sword" to help you realize that.

So, otherwise can I ask what would make you think that the Leather Armor found or made in the Nordic homeland isn't 'Nordic Leather Armor,' or do you honestly need the 'Nordic' tag put on every item?

You're actually the one missing the mark. Telling me it doesn't matter if the 'Nordic' tag is on a specific item, when clearly that's what I was asking for when I created this topic, is pretty pointless don't you think? You're trying to tell me what I said isn't what I meant, when i'm pretty sure I know what I meant better then you do. And no need for name calling? I said what he was referring to wasn't true, and that his way of thinking was foolish, not him personally. So please don't make accusations that I'm name calling when i'm really not. And even if I did call him foolish (Which I didn't) that's the least insulting insult there is..you shouldn't take much offense to that.

You were asking for 'Nordic' items...in Skyrim, the Nordic homeland. Pardon us if we don't want 'Nordic' tags written on everything from leather to hide to steel. It's Skyrim, you should be assuming it's Nordic.

That's like asking where the Japanese food is when you're sitting in a Japanese restaurant with a pile of sushi in front of you. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/rolleyes.gif

When you see Sushi, what do you think? "Oh that Japanese food". When you see fur armor, what do you think? "Oh, that Nordic armor." <------Not so much... That's all I really have to say for that really, since that's all I really need to say. And as for the 'Nordic' Tags, You read my main topic post, knew what I was looking for, and yet post anyway. Very smart of you good sir.

Literally true. But in this case the reference is to the leather, iron, etc armours found in Skyrim. They're standard armours, yes, but they're in a Nordic style. They're just not overly decorated in the Nordic style because they are just mundane armours.

Compare these two plate armours (let's assume they're both made from either iron or steel).

http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/originals/89/14/e8/8914e8bb36c017e315948936fc4c75f5.jpghttp://www.talismancoins.com/catalog/Suit_of_Gothic_Plate_Armor.jpg

Different cultures, same material. In game the armours that are labeled with the name of a culture are so because they're supposedly of a higher class or tier than ordinary armour. The kind a veteran or hero might wear, for example. Everything else is in the local style, but it's just normal all the same.

THIS. This is the point I was going to make. I mean, OP has apparently never played TES III or IV. In Morrowind, glass, ebony, and leather armours were made using the local styles. The same can be said of Dwarven armour.

The reasoning behind this variation from one province to the next? Simple. The materials would have been available all throughout Tamriel, but would everyone have made them look the same? Absolutely not. The Dunmeri style would not have been the same as the Cyrodiilic style, nor would it have looked like the Nordic style. Even the Dwemeri armours vary from one province to the next, due to the fact that the Dwemer had "tribes", each with their own culture and style.

• 2 months later...

Jeez.

I don't want to sound like idiot, but to me the first post seemed like the OP requested only one thing, and everyone overreacted.

Steel NORDIC gauntlets:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Nordic_Gauntlets

These are only items of the steel set that are called "Nordic", other items are:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Cuffed_Boots CUFFED

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Armor_(Armor_Piece) Just Steel

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Horned_Helmet Horned

Possibly OP didn't know that these belong to the same set, maybe he didn't know other parts exist or he wanted them to be called "Steel Nordic Boots", "Steel Nordic Cuirass", "Steel Nordic Helmet"

But that's what I think he wanted.

Edit:

If possible, please confirm if I was right, so I can laugh at the guys who were wrong.

It's part of my job.

Sorry I'm getting back to you at such a late date, but essentially yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. All my OP was suggesting was if someone could implement a variant of the steel armor in the game currently or an entirely new set of armor altogether that would reflect a uniquely "Nordic" armor set. I said in an earlier post that lore was never an issue and this idea wasn't thought up with the intention of being lore friendly, and yet the post even right before this one is talking in depth about the lore of past games and previous armors in different locations... So I hope you get to read this extremely late response and get your laugh after all; it's well overdue :P.