PC disks are crippled

gigantibyte

Patch or missing content, its installation is forced. Skyrim PC disks are 100% useless without an internet connection.

:|

:|||||||||||||||||||||||||

That's...that's the point of Steam...

You're complaining because Steam requires you to have an active internet connection to install your games now? ... 7 years after Steam started up?

If you're living in such a backwards place that having an internet connection to install a game is a problem, buy a console.

Nobody needs to. What would Bethesda gain from putting an incomplete game on the disc?

Content control.

Edit:

And the advantage it gives companies to release incomplete games that are not ready by production time.

Oh, and that totally doesn't happen with standard retail games, right? They all release in prim and proper shape. Ok.

Yes because it denies the consumer legitimate control over the content. What other product can you think of that forces updates? Even for software it's rare.

Incidentally, late last year Steam made an announcement that it's reworking it's update system in a manner in which the client downloads the patch aside from the game, meaning you can play the game while the patch is downloading in the background. My guess is this is pretty much standalone patches.

Oh, you mean like Origin? Or uPlay, which requires you to have a constant internet connection to play at all? Or even the simple SecuRom checks that required me to activate my game online, a feature that has been standard practice for the last four or five years?

We obviously buy and play different games. This has not been my experience.

Okay, I'm not going to lie to you, I was really stumped by this. Seriously. I'm actually still sort of speechless. I'm just going to guess your name is Patrick Starfish, because it's clear that you've been living under a rock these last few years. I mean, seriously?

For the last three or four years, it's been rare to find a game that DOESN'T require some form of online verification before you can play.

Again I ask, do Xbox players require an Internet connection to play?

If No: Unequivocal evidence that Bethesda is shafting PC disk owners.

If Yes: Wow. The problem is worse than I feared.

Unequivocal evidence that Bethesda is shafting PC disk owners? Are you serious? It's a matter of perspective. If you're backwards enough to consider an internet connection for a game an issue, then maybe. However, the vast majority of the the people who play games have at least some form of internet available to them.

This Penny Arcade comic, even if it's not entirely related to Steam, still manages to capture the gist of the issue;

http://i39.tinypic.com/213g800.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:|||||||||||||||||||||||||

That's...that's the point of Steam...

You're complaining because Steam requires you to have an active internet connection to install your games now? ... 7 years after Steam started up?

If you're living in such a backwards place that having an internet connection to install a game is a problem, buy a console.

And you'll see by my original post, I have no problem with Steam as a download provider. It's when it's used as a digital lock for disk content that's the problem. You may not care about shrinking rights for PC owners, but it doesn't invalidate the concern.

Okay, I'm not going to lie to you, I was really stumped by this. Seriously. I'm actually still sort of speechless. I'm just going to guess your name is Patrick Starfish, because it's clear that you've been living under a rock these last few years. I mean, seriously?

For the last three or four years, it's been rare to find a game that DOESN'T require some form of online verification before you can play.

Borderlands and Batman AA. Both recent games that don't require an internet connection to install and play. There are many others, and those are the ones that will get my support.

Unequivocal evidence that Bethesda is shafting PC disk owners? Are you serious? It's a matter of perspective. If you're backwards enough to consider an internet connection for a game an issue, then maybe. However, the vast majority of the the people who play games have at least some form of internet available to them.

Yes I'm serious. Why should PC players be denied the same rights as the console player? It has nothing to do with piracy because as noted several times the Xbox version was pirated first.

Borderlands and Batman AA. Both recent games that don't require an internet connection to install and play. There are many others, and those are the ones that will get my support.

Actually, you're wrong. Borderlands required a Securom release date check, as did all the DLC, so I don't know where you're getting your info from. The DRM wouldn't even install before I did the release date check.

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/borderlands

Batman Arkham Asylum used Games for Windows Live, which is lauded as one of the worst DRM schemes out there;

http://kotaku.com/5164260/batman-arkham-asylum-does-games-for-windows-live

Honestly, I'm not even interested in continuing this discussion anymore. It's going nowhere, and you're substantiating your arguments with false information and half-truths. Your last two posts with innacurate/false information pretty much destroyed whatever credibility you had. Not that you had much to begin with, considering the entire thread is based off of the post of a random user's post on the BethSoft forums. A post with a claim that is substantiated with no evidence at all, I might add. Now that we've established that you don't really know what you're talking about, it's time for me to take my leave.

Edited by Halororor

Actually, you're wrong. Borderlands required a Securom release date check, as did all the DLC, so I don't know where you're getting your info from. The DRM wouldn't even install before I did the release date check.

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/borderlands

That's classic, pointing to a site that is obviously against DRM. And I had no problems installing Borderlands. Nothing wrong with DRM in principal, its when it requires an internet connection. That page mentions nothing about internet being required. I'll have to test it when I get home.

Batman Arkham Asylum used Games for Windows Live, which is lauded as one of the worst DRM schemes out there;

http://kotaku.com/5164260/batman-arkham-asylum-does-games-for-windows-live

Honestly, I'm not even interested in continuing this discussion anymore. It's going nowhere, and you're substantiating your arguments with false information and half-truths. Your last two posts with innacurate/false information pretty much destroyed whatever credibility you had. Not that you had much to begin with, considering the entire thread is based off of the post of a random user's post on the BethSoft forums. A post with a claim that is substantiated with no evidence at all, I might add. Now that we've established that you don't really know what you're talking about, it's time for me to take my leave.

Bad choice on my part. Don't own the game and was misinformed. Anyhow, I made information requests on several upcoming games I'm interested in playing to see if online activation is as prevalent as you claim.

Ugh, I don't know why I'm still even bothering to respond, but here goes...

That's classic, pointing to a site that is obviously against DRM. And I had no problems installing Borderlands. Nothing wrong with DRM in principal, its when it requires an internet connection. That page mentions nothing about internet being required. I'll have to test it when I get home.

Ok, firstly, now you're being a moron. I took the first hit on google Whether the site is anti-DRM or not doesn't matter, it proves that the game needs an internet connection to activate. Are you left unable to read, or what is your issue? Borderlands had an online release date check straight out of the box. If the release date check failed, it removed all the installed files and rolled back the installation. I remember this because I got the game a day before street release, and was left unable to play it until it officially released.

If I still had my boxed copy I would post a pic showing where it said an internet connection is required for activation, but I gave it away when I bought the GOTY edition on Steam.

Bad choice on my part. Don't own the game and was misinformed. Anyhow, I made information requests on several upcoming games I'm interested in playing to see if online activation is as prevalent as you claim.

No, you weren't misinformed. You were flapping your mouth without reason, and without really having any idea what you were talking about. Pretty much the same as you've been doing for the entire thread. More or less all of your posts have been based on false or speculative information. Please, before you continue any kind of discussion, just make sure you know what the hell you are talking about. You really appear clueless, and it's definitely not doing you any good.

Every time you post, you dig yourself a deeper hole. Seriously. This thread was ridiculous to start off. You based an entire argument off of a single, unsubstantiated post on the BethSoft forums. Then when you were called out on it, your only rebuttal was that the person who posted it doesn't look like a random, average poster. Seriously?

And now it's devolved into you arguing without knowing anything about that which you're arguing about.

The kindest thing here would be if the mods locked the thread. At least that way you'd be saved from digging yourself into a deeper hole.

Seriously, off the top of my head here are a few of the games I can remember having some form of online activation;

-Mass Effect

-Mass Effect 2

-Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena

-Bioshock

-Bioshock 2

-Dragon Age 2

-Starcraft 2

-The Witcher 2

-Alone in the Dark

-Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

-Sacred 2

-Burnout Paradise

-Two Worlds

-Two Worlds 2

-Dead Space

-Dead Space 2

And that's only the ones I remember. It's become so prevalent that people hardly take notice these days. Ever heard of SecuRom?

Ok, firstly, now you're being a moron. I took the first hit on google Whether the site is anti-DRM or not doesn't matter, it proves that the game needs an internet connection to activate. Are you left unable to read, or what is your issue? Borderlands had an online release date check straight out of the box. If the release date check failed, it removed all the installed files and rolled back the installation. I remember this because I got the game a day before street release, and was left unable to play it until it officially released.

If I still had my boxed copy I would post a pic showing where it said an internet connection is required for activation, but I gave it away when I bought the GOTY edition on Steam.

Well I have the disk, and online activation is NOT required. This is also confirmed here. SecuROM yes, online no. If you are going to berate me on facts, you better get them right yourself.

When you do more than get your information from the first link found on google, come back and talk.

Edited by gigantibyte

I love how you selectively quote only certain pieces of my post to try and prove your point;

http://www.2kgames.com/borderlands/activation/

offline activation for in case you didn't have an internet connection when you installed Borderlands.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/103/1038523p1.html

Article on IGN that confirms my story that it required an online activation.

So one post by a random forum member three years after the game's release invalidates all the proof I've submitted so far?

LOL.

Edited by Halororor

1. I have the disk and installed the game tonight without internet and was able to play. 2. This must mean I have a second printing that doesn't have the online check. and 3. At least they provided an offline installer for early buyers which is more than Bethesda will ever do. Edited by gigantibyte

2. This must mean I have a second printing that doesn't have the online check.

Yes, the DRM was removed later in the game's lifecycle. The argument right from the start was that the game released with a required online activation.

3. At least they provided an offline installer for early buyers which is more than Bethesda will ever do.

And the irony of that is that you still had to go online to download the offline installer, as well as a file that the offline installer required to activate the game. :P

4. Click "Next" and go to http://unlock.borderlandsthegame.com/ and follow the instructions on the site in order to create the "ActivationResponse.lic" file.
Edited by Halororor