PC disks are crippled

gigantibyte

I'm agreed one can hold different opinions but I don't agree with the points you make.

"Once again" or as many times as desired, you agree have one has to log in at some point, consequently it is wrong.

Social platform. Fairly valueless to me. There are plenty of websites one can 'meet up' and chat. Fan sites are not unknown. And in any case registration at such a site should be optional, just for those who wish to use the social site.

Things being downloaded and installed without request. IMO a definite negative since it overrides owner control of the PC.

Multiplayer game ? Similar to the social thing. There's no reason why one can not choose to register for that alone if desired. It's not something that has any value for me.

Scratched disks ? Never been an issue, but in any case in the event one should be able to arrange a download of the disk by request and proof of purchase.

Sales. Not interested. If a commercial concern wishes to have a sale it need not be tied to anything else.

Game saves on line. No, my data should stay on my equipment. Again no value to me.

IMO growth in Steam just goes to show how large the problem is becoming.

I guess we can agree to differ but that doesn't stop me feeling I'm being manipulated into jumping through hoops I ought not be forced into. If things are voluntary then that is a different matter.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Social platform. Fairly valueless to me. There are plenty of websites one can 'meet up' and chat. Fan sites are not unknown. And in any case registration at such a site should be optional, just for those who wish to use the social site.

But those websites are not available to you in-game. You have to either exit your game or alt-tab. Either way, personal preference and all that.

Things being downloaded and installed without request. IMO a definite negative since it overrides owner control of the PC.

Owner control of the game, and the Steam client. Not the PC. You are still in full control of your PC, just not your game or Steam client.

Multiplayer game ? Similar to the social thing. There's no reason why one can not choose to register for that alone if desired. It's not something that has any value for me.

Once again, personal preference.

Scratched disks ? Never been an issue, but in any case in the event one should be able to arrange a download of the disk by request and proof of purchase.

And if there are no download options available? The most likely thing to happen in this case is the developer/publisher will you to buy it from another place. I hardly believe they're going to give you the game for free if they can make more money out of you. I've had to throw away many games in the past due to them being scratched beyond repair. Some of the developers don't even exist any longer, so there isn't even anyone to contact.

Owning that game on Steam means I never have to sit with that problem again.

Sales. Not interested. If a commercial concern wishes to have a sale it need not be tied to anything else.

Gasp! Games bought on Steam sales are tied to your Steam account? Ye gads! Who would've thought?

Game saves on line. No, my data should stay on my equipment. Again no value to me.

The game saves are stored on your PC, then uploaded to the Steam cloud server. If you do not like Steam Cloud, there is an option to turn it off.

IMO growth in Steam just goes to show how large the problem is becoming.

No, growth in Steam merely proves how many users are starting to use it and how big the platform is becoming. It's not a 'problem' if more users are adopting the Steam platform.

I guess we can agree to differ but that doesn't stop me feeling I'm being manipulated into jumping through hoops I ought not be forced into. If things are voluntary then that is a different matter.

You're not being forced. Nobody is forcing you to buy games that use Steam. If you don't like Steam, buy them on console.

In any case, the points I listed was merely points about why I like using Steam and why I will continue doing so. Just because I see them as beneficial to me, and you don't, doesn't mean the points aren't valid. It means we have a difference of opinion on the Steam platform. You dislike it, I like it.

Either way, as I said previously, Steam is here to stay. It's growth is indicative of that. Either people need to start adapting, or move to greener pastures.

Edited by Halororor

At the very least, anyone reading this thread who is considering buying the Skyrim PC disk may now think twice about what they are getting themselves into. My advice if you want to play Skyrim is to buy the digital download version, as owning the disk offers no useful advantage other than saving time on download. Big whoop if you have access to moderate high speed. At my location I can only get crappy DSL with speeds of 2 to 3 Mb, but I can still easily download 5 gigs over night. It's also quite easy to download from another location.

Or buy something else. Otherwise you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

At the very least, anyone reading this thread who is considering buying the Skyrim PC disk may now think twice about what they are getting themselves into. My advice if you want to play Skyrim is to buy the digital download version, as owning the disk offers no useful advantage other than saving time on download. Big whoop if you have access to moderate high speed. At my location I can only get crappy DSL with speeds of 2 to 3 Mb, but I can still easily download 5 gigs over night. It's also quite easy to download from another location.

Or buy something else. Otherwise you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Well, to some it's more financially viable to buy the game at retail, because currently the exchange rate in my country means that the game costs about R100 more on Steam than buying it in-store. So there are still some advantages to buying the disk version, but essentially, yes, the disk is nothing more than a way to limit what needs to be downloaded.

Also, crappy internet connection? I'd fight 100 armed men to have a 2meg connection. :P

I've only got a 384kb/s uncapped connection, which downloads at a max of 40kb/s. I'm generally considered to be one of the lucky ones simply because I have uncapped. :O

We're considering upgrading to 1meg at home, but bandwidth prices in our country is hectically expensive.

Also, crappy internet connection? I'd fight 100 armed men to have a 2meg connection. :P

I've only got a 384kb/s uncapped connection, which downloads at a max of 40kb/s. I'm generally considered to be one of the lucky ones simply because I have uncapped. :O

We're considering upgrading to 1meg at home, but bandwidth prices in our country is hectically expensive.

Just to be clear, I download at 2 to 3 megabits per second (mbps) (which converts to about 425 kilobytes per second at best), whereas a fibre optic connection like we have at work offers speeds of over 5 megabytes per second. (It's crazy fast.)

But at home the connection is crappy because it can go down for long periods of at a time. Numerous technician visits, and several modems later the problem still persists. My speed was dropped from a possible 15 mbps to try to help. It will be fine for a month or two, then be only sporadically available for weeks.

For Skyrim, I can get by. But I'd never be able to play something like single-player Diablo III where a constant connection is absolutely required.

Edit:

Well, to some it's more financially viable to buy the game at retail, because currently the exchange rate in my country means that the game costs about R100 more on Steam than buying it in-store. So there are still some advantages to buying the disk version, but essentially, yes, the disk is nothing more than a way to limit what needs to be downloaded.

Actually, if finances are a concern, at this point it's a better bet to wait for a sale on Steam, as Skyrim has already been available at least once at a nicely reduced price.

Edited by gigantibyte