[WIP] Belua Sanguinare Revisited

Jakisthe

Making weapons ethereal-ish: I think 0005030E code effect would work; that's the attached console command for "Ghost visuals" from this ridiculously long list of possible effects.

Soul Servant: I know everyone is gunna hate me for this, but I just don't think it's very vampiric. Summoning weapons was, imo, pushing it to begin with, and something I only added because of it's presence in Castlevania and Hellsing. It just seems...necrotical. I mean....there's no life in the armor..it's pure magic. Sorry everyone! Perhaps it can be a quest reward for a specific faction down the line, but as a base vampire power...I don't think it really fits. Sorry MM! Looks great though :unsure:

Thrall/Summons/Undead/Magical Axe Limits: MM implemented a great stopgap, but eventually...hopefully...it's in my plans to have some kind of notoriety systems, contingent on how many people appear to be "acting odd"/how many floating axes appear in the area. Very math heavy, and I just started designing the AI decision trees, so at somepoint you'll hopefully be able to lead as large an army you want...iff you also want to run the risk of incredibly large and well equipt bounty groups coming after you to cleanse Skyrim :P. As far as the gameplay/game engine stuff goes, mucking up all the conjuration...I'll have to look that over at some time which isn't 5:30 in the morning after a long day of travel and this post accidentally deleting itself once already :wallbash:

Animal control tiers: Sounds good. Although I still think they shouldn't attack, bears and especially sabers are pushing it. Course, if you already have it implemented, well...heh..I won't say no to that!

Bat Form: Heh, nskin, I had that exact same idea to use those bat animations as a cloud in lieu of making a model or importing from Oblivion (which is, in fact, illegal :ohdear: ), so it could be a swarm. Flight is iffy though, so probably not in the original beta tests...oh...MM already said that...oh well! I'll keep this up for posterity!

The finicky details will no doubt come from playtesting, which I can FINALLY do a lot of on spring break whilst home and no-one else is here..not much else to do! But yes, thank you to everyone who has kept on making suggestions and helping us connect gameplay, fun, balance, and lore. Just be glad this isn't a more modern take...I have much, much more extensive notes for modern stuff, including absolutely insane weapons...lol..just woulda taken longer! But I digress! I need sleep :mellow:

Edited by Jakisthe

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, someone drum up some support for Soul Servant because I'd choose it over....ethereal axe summoning....any day. :) Although I worked equally hard on both of them. :)

Ok guys, what do you think of doing something like this for determining the sneak feed chance succeeding. Essentialy, it's an average of all skills + using your vampire level as a modifier.

float BasePassCheck = 0
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("OneHanded")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("TwoHanded")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Marksman")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseA ctorValue("Block")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Smithing")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("HeavyArmor")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("LightArmor")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Pickpocket")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Lockpicking")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Sneak")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Alchemy")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Speechcraft")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Alteration")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Conjuration")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Destruction")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Illusion")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Restoration")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Enchanting")

BasePassCheck = (BasePassCheck / 18)

Trace("Base Skill Avg: " + BasePassCheck)

float bonus = BeluaGlobalCurrentVampireLevel.GetValue() * 10

Trace("Bonus : " + Bonus)

BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Bonus

Trace("Adjusted Sneak Attack Chance: " + BasePassCheck)

float diceRoll = Utility.RandomFloat(0.0,100)
Trace("Sneak Attack DiceRoll: " + diceRoll)

if(diceRoll <= BasePassCheck)
	VampireFeed(akTarget)
Else
	Trace("Sound the alarm!!!")
	akTarget.SendAssaultAlarm()
	akTarget.StartCombat(Player) 
EndIf

Here's what papyrus logs look like for when this kicks off:

[03/17/2012 - 02:12:59PM] VampireSneakFeed
[03/17/2012 - 02:12:59PM] Base Skill Avg: 17.000000
[03/17/2012 - 02:12:59PM] Bonus : 10.000000
[03/17/2012 - 02:12:59PM] Adjusted Sneak Attack Chance: 27.000000
[03/17/2012 - 02:12:59PM] Sneak Attack DiceRoll: 63.864750
[03/17/2012 - 02:12:59PM] Sound the alarm!!!

Here you can see, I'm only level 1 and a Fledgling vampire. So my base skill average was 17. Adjusted + 10 for Fledgling gives me a 27% chance to succeed (actually that's not too bad for level 1). But... I rolled a 63. I needed 27 or lower. The guards killed me.

Or am I making things too difficult? Should it literally be based upon sneak and pickpocket skills alone (plus maybe your vampire level modifier) and everyone else be damned? (i.e. if you're no sneak and/or pickpocketer good luck).

I went back and took a stab at doing the flying again, I have it working pretty much just as before....To have collision detection the flying is jerky, to get rid of the jerky behavior collision detection is effectively disabled because TranslateTo function negates it when called repeatedly with no StopTranslation. I really think the effect can be cool, but it's completely immersion breaking to fly through walls and the map constructs.

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

I think it should be based on sneak/pickpocket. I can appreciate the idea of trying to base it off a more...holistic approach to the vampire, but really..it is a sneak feed, after all. Benefits sneak characters! One handed focus'd folk can get the battle feeds, etc.

That said, beyond cutting it down to basing it on just those two trees, it looks pretty much like I envisioned.

Sorry, MM, about bringing the soul servant opposition out of the woodwork, but as I said...it could be a quest reward for the long term plans I PM'd you a week or so about :wink:

Edited by Jakisthe

I think it should be based on sneak/pickpocket. I can appreciate the idea of trying to base it off a more...holistic approach to the vampire, but really..it is a sneak feed, after all. Benefits sneak characters! One handed focus'd folk can get the battle feeds, etc.

That said, beyond cutting it down to basing it on just those two trees, it looks pretty much like I envisioned.

Sorry, MM, about bringing the soul servant opposition out of the woodwork, but as I said...it could be a quest reward for the long term plans I PM'd you a week or so about :wink:

So should I add sneak and pickpocket together? Get an average? Should I do a vampire level modifier?

Edit: I'm adding the two together and also applying the vampire modifier. This is what it looks like currently:

float BasePassCheck = 0
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Pickpocket")
BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Player.GetBaseActorValue("Sneak")

Trace("Base Skill SNEAK+PICKPOCKET: " + BasePassCheck)

float bonus = BeluaGlobalCurrentVampireLevel.GetValue() * 10

Trace("Bonus : " + Bonus)

BasePassCheck = BasePassCheck + Bonus

And guys, no worries about Soul Servant...honestly that's why they're called P.O.C.s! :)

Speaking of PMs... I need an answer on the preogression mechanics question. :)

Edited by MofoMojo

Started on Vampire Bounty Hunter Radiant Quests and realized....I really need to start over that thing from scratch. I've learned a little about how the Story Manager works but Alias references in quests, auto-filled by the data you send in SendStoryEvent and all that work....I gotta spend more time on it. I was hoping a few copy/pastes from some other quests would have it up and running quicklly but 5-6 hours later...no dice. Time to know when you're beat and make progress elsewhere.

I haven't figured out how to create a rogue zombie yet. If I reanimate the zombie from the player as source, it's always under his control. If I reanimate from SELF he's under his own control and sounds completely normal and basically acts like he was resurrected. So.... I did implement some changes in the base re-animation with Feed Attack.

Fledgling - Reanimates after 10 seconds of being dead...and lasts about 30 seconds.

Risen - Reanimates immediately, lasts about 1 minute

Master - Reanimates immediately, lasts about 5 minutes

Progenitor - Lasts 1 hour

Sire - Lasts 360 days (compromise until I can make him a permanent follower)

Edit: One REALLY funny blooper I had with experimenting with creating rogue zombies. I had the actor reanimate himself after he died, I then set his aggression all the way up and his confidence all the way up as well...or so I thought. Turned out I made him REALLY aggressive and REALLY afraid of anything. He kept running me scared, hiding and ducking yelling "I yield I yield", and some other funny things then plopped down dead again. ok, I thought it was funny.

Worked on Shrines and proximity damage.... Looking like this may not work properly on items already loaded and saved in your save game. I need to do a test run to see if a new game will have any luck. Otherwise, I'm going to have to think well outside the box to figure this one out. But the script I wrote is pretty nice ONCE it starts working.

I start detecting when you're within about 1000 units (that's probably about.... 20 feet? I dunno) and do damage proportional to your distance. When you're right up on it, you're doing about 5 dmg per sec. At 1000 out you're doing like .005 or something like that. Additionally I created what should be a fairly blinding imagespacemodifier, and it just applies it at a scale between .001 and 1 (full on bright) based on proximity distance again. Unfortunately, all theoretical as I haven't gotten the shrine to even hiccup in a debug trace. My only other thought is to hook into Bethesday's already attached script but I hate doing that, as it's something I'm sure I'll forget that I've done at some point.

What else... Created new weapons for the spectral axes. They now have a bound weapon kind of look. Unfortunately they don't have it until AFTER they get into their first battle. No clue why. It's like they get "charged" up.

Put some more spit and polish on... changed the "Feed" message when sneaking to be "Sneak Feed".

OK...that's it for the night. Tomorrow I'm taking off and doing some photography work. I'll be back onboard later that evening.

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

I'm just trying to imagine a fearful ghost. All of the ghosts in Skyrim just want to kill me. But ask yourself Mojo: blooper or another feature?

Not to change the subject, but Notch, Minecraft creator, designed the Creeper by accident after making his pigs too long. Perhaps these cowards could be used for something? Soul capturing maybe? Just a thought.

I'm just trying to imagine a fearful ghost. All of the ghosts in Skyrim just want to kill me. But ask yourself Mojo: blooper or another feature?

Not to change the subject, but Notch, Minecraft creator, designed the Creeper by accident after making his pigs too long. Perhaps these cowards could be used for something? Soul capturing maybe? Just a thought.

Haha... well, reanimating a corpse into a fearful WTF GET AWAY FROM ME person and having him die again was funny. Not sure if it has it's place.

UPDATE: RADIANT QUESTS ARE IN!!!

I sat down this morning and decided before lunch hit I'd spend one or two hours and just restart the radiant quest attempt from scratch. And I got it working. Our First Bounty Hunter quest is wired up. It's triggered on Feed right now, but that's just so I could do some testing. I won't spoil the details... it's nothing big but the Vigilant have been watching you! :)

-MM

hmm a while back it was talking about making the player teleport to a grave and waking up but i think it was droped because it should not breake any quest. but what if it was like you becomes a vampire right there but you will only get a smal bonus but then when you travel to a house of the dead or a graveplace and sleep in it for a day and a night to complte the transformation and become a true vampire? (sorry if i have forgotten that this has already been made beause i cant remember all of the post before :D )