[WIP] Belua Sanguinare Revisited

Jakisthe

Also like the idea of a longer night. And I think satiation should be related the amount of passing time (waiting and sleeping should count too).

Satiation is 100% related to the passage of ingame time. WAITing will cause you to go hungry. Sleeping will not. The idea was that sleeping was the only way to trigger metamorphisis however, come to think of it now... if you progress or regress your stats are reset so ... hahaha... I'm such a dummy sometimes. Maybe i'll yank that code. The only .... lore... behind making sleeping NOT cause you to go hungry is that you're put into a state of hybernation. Perhaps I'll do just that. Even in hybernation bears and animals consume their own bodyfat during the process. Maybe I'll make sleep calculate a smaller percentage of loss. Like 25% that of the normal loss when sleeping.

Now MM....STAY AWAY FROM FEATURE CREEP!!!

Actually, having spent two days of tweaking I've got a REALLY solid build done. Only thing left is implement hunger weaknesses, beyond the double daylight damge. It's been so refreshing to drop hours into playing rather than coding and a lot of tweaks have come of it.

-MM

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be my last post for a little over two months, as tomorrow I will be catching a flight to Chicago and then San Diego to ship out. Jakisthe and MM, thank you very much for listening to all my feedback and working so hard to make an awesome mod. I hope everything goes well, and I look forward to getting back to my PC to try out the mod!

Everyone take care!

-Phil11

I'm gunna agree with elric on this one - having longer nights kinda defeats the purpose of the drawback. MAYBE a very slight dilation (like, something as small as night lasting 1.05x as long), but other than that...nah.

Phil, thanks for all your input on the mod! Stay safe, and hopefully we'll have a public release by the time you get back :tongue:

This will be my last post for a little over two months, as tomorrow I will be catching a flight to Chicago and then San Diego to ship out. Jakisthe and MM, thank you very much for listening to all my feedback and working so hard to make an awesome mod. I hope everything goes well, and I look forward to getting back to my PC to try out the mod!

Everyone take care!

-Phil11

@Phil,

Thank you much for the feedback. It's been very helpful. And we look forward to your safe return!

As for longer nights, shorter days. This isn't something I plan on implementing, just a consideration to the question of its use. While the Vampire is truly at home in the darkness, he's a slave more to his hunger as he can avoid the sunlight but can't avoid the hunger. Even with the mod that Phil was testing, you would have seen the same LEVEL of hunger because during the day, while realtime sunlight exposure passed quicker so did the gametime which meant you starved at an equally faster rate which let me tell you, is no fun to deal with unless you have a follower.... and I'm trying to think of ways to make the follower less of a crutch for you to get by since

Followers can't die

Followes are usually NOT undead which means you can order them to sleep and can feed from them

That's actually how I survived my second day playing. My first I had some truly desperate times but not so much to get to starving, but I also found some bugs around the hunger/feed mechanics so ... thinks might be a little more as we intended than before.

-MM

If this is already implemented forgive my ignorance. But why not have hunger related to in game days and nights. In essence, for each 24 hour period that passes you go up one level towards being starved. So in vanilla I believe it would be 72 in game hours until you are starving (24h from level1 to 2, 24h from 2 to 3, 24h from 3 to 4).

Also if someone changes the in game time variable (how fast time passes in the game (to give perceived longer days and nights)) would this mod still calculate hunger correctly? Would it still be 72 in game hours till you are starving?

If this is already implemented forgive my ignorance. But why not have hunger related to in game days and nights. In essence, for each 24 hour period that passes you go up one level towards being starved. So in vanilla I believe it would be 72 in game hours until you are starving (24h from level1 to 2, 24h from 2 to 3, 24h from 3 to 4).

Also if someone changes the in game time variable (how fast time passes in the game (to give perceived longer days and nights)) would this mod still calculate hunger correctly? Would it still be 72 in game hours till you are starving?

Nskin039,

Here's how hunger works in our game. It's completely configurable to your likings. There are two values

HungerDropDurationSeconds

HungerDropAmount

The first value is how long to wait in seconds of ingame time before dropping the satiated level.

So regardless of how fast ot slow you speed up time, it's going to drop appropriately. I do some math to even find out how many seconds have passed since we last performed a hunger check just in case the check is slower than the dropduration so it calculates the right percentage of drop. So yes, if you have the DropDurationSeconds and the DropAmount setup so you go from full satiation to starving in 72 hours, then regardless of the time mod, in 72 game hours you'll be starving if you don't feed. Inicdentally, our mod puts the FULL SATIATION to FULL STARVED just under ... 28.5 hours.

Update:

Here's me testing out Transform Fog again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXYnPaqzdqA&feature=youtube_gdata

-MM

Update:

-MM

That is sick! Three questions/suggestions about the mist form.

(1) Can NPC's "see" you in this form? When I used the mist form in the Vampire FX mod it always annoyed me to death that you were in this ethereal mist form and NPC's could see me and were always commenting about my appearance. They shouldn't be able to see you like that. They should be totally oblivious to you when you melt into the shadows.

(2) Can you use mist form in the day? I suggest making it only accessible during the night since the sun is supposed to weaken you during the day.

(3) It may be just the quality of the audio from the youtube video. But the sound effect from the mist form seemed to be pretty bad/poor quality and repeated every 1/2 second. Any chance of getting a better quieter mist sound.

Edited by nskin039

Update:

-MM

One other thing, please test the effect of saving and reloading while in mist form. Or else make it so you can't save the game while in that form. I am not trying to compare your mod to the vampire FX project, but I do know his mod sometimes had problems when saving in mist form. When you reloaded the game your forms were reversed. When invisible you were confined to the ground and when visible you could fly around (like you are supposed to in mist form). Just an FYI to watch for. Looking good guys!

Edited by nskin039

That is sick! Three questions/suggestions about the mist form.

(1) Can NPC's "see" you in this form? When I used the mist form in the Vampire FX mod it always annoyed me to death that you were in this ethereal mist form and NPC's could see me and were always commenting about my appearance. They shouldn't be able to see you like that. They should be totally oblivious to you when you melt into the shadows.

You are invisible in this form. NPCs will not comment on your appearance.

(2) Can you use mist form in the day? I suggest making it only accessible during the night since the sun is supposed to weaken you during the day.

What I've done is implemented my SunTracker. You can use the spell any time of the day, but if it considers you to be in damaging sunlight it will dispell the effect. This allows you to use it on overcast days. Be wary... :)

(3) It may be just the quality of the audio from the youtube video. But the sound effect from the mist form seemed to be pretty bad/poor quality and repeated every 1/2 second. Any chance of getting a better quieter mist sound.

Perhaps a little of both. It's the frostbite sound fx which is a looping FX. I'd rather just have some sort of nice windy sound but going through all the wind sounds didn't produce a good candidate. Edit. Watch this post. I'll have another video up in a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCztiqr1ey0&feature=youtube_gdata

One other thing, please test the effect of saving and reloading while in mist form. Or else make it so you can't save the game while in that form. I am not trying to compare your mod to the vampire FX project, but I do know his mod sometimes had problems when saving in mist form. When you reloaded the game your forms were reversed. When invisible you were confined to the ground and when visible you could fly around (like you are supposed to in mist form). Just an FYI to watch for. Looking good guys

I'll give it a go, but there's nothing I can do to disable the user from going into the ESC menu and saving if it does cause a problem.

Edit: Seems to preserve the status just fine. You're a little LESS transparent on reload but you return back to normal and no switchups.

Sorry for all my posts, but do you have Formus Chiropteras working yet?

No worry on the posts. I do not have Formus Chropteras up or even prototyped yet. Flying (amongst the modding community) in general is just such a hack job at its current stage. Hardly any collision detection, etc,. Something I could spend MANY hours trying to perfect and there are plenty of people smarter than I that haven't gotten a great implementation done so the time has best been spent on other things. It's still in the plans though.

Edit: I'm thinking this should only be for Sires. Sires are just stronger right now, and get one additional spell (Conjure Storms). They really need some more to strive for. Not that more aren't planned and weren't planned for the start, I just haven't gotten a chance to implement them and some are more challenging than others. There's really no more low hanging fruit for the Sire Spells if you know what I mean. :)

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo