[WIP] Belua Sanguinare Revisited

Jakisthe

WELL my charactar that i play on now are around 40-50 and i must use several 50-pts fireballs to kill most of my enemies (well i i dont just cut of their heads with an claymore

just use a good difficulty mod :S

nha dont need it :P i think it is good like it is. it was just to pint out that the spell needs to be at mostsomewere around that 50 pt not op but not underpower :P

Ok, made some minor changes to Blood Rend. It has a 20' radius, you get absorbing red rays from each of the target, it only impacts targets HOSTILE to you, which does however mean that running into a battle full of people that aren't fighting you want really help but it also keeps you from accidentally killing others. It does 20 DPS, costs 10 magicka per second, and an additional 5 mana per sec/target. Thinking more on this, this is an ABSORPTION spell, it shouldn't be a primary source of destruction but it IS powerful. Run into a room of people, throw on "Vampire's Speed" and you can weave in an out absorbing health.

Oh, speaking of Vampire's Speed. I disabled the magicka drain and turned it into a Stamina Drain and made it toggleable, and a Lesser Power so you can have it readied along with two spells, swords, or what have you. I haven't added the attack speed modifier yet. I'm not sure it's really necessary.

After playtesting...I realized I didn't add "No Breath" for permanent underwater breathing.

-MM

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, speaking of Vampire's Speed. I disabled the magicka drain and turned it into a Stamina Drain and made it toggleable, and a Lesser Power so you can have it readied along with two spells, swords, or what have you. I haven't added the attack speed modifier yet. I'm not sure it's really necessary.

So you can use your magicka for draining health and your stamina to slow time down to not even get hit... this sounds overpwowered because one thing doesn't effect the other (as one relies on magicka, one on stamina). You could level only these two when leveling up and forget about health because the absorbtion is so high as long as you have enough magicka and you will get hit almost never because of the timeslowing.

Well, playtesting is better than my guessing, but I think this vampire's speed+blood rend combo needs some attention when playtesting.

So you can use your magicka for draining health and your stamina to slow time down to not even get hit... this sounds overpwowered because one thing doesn't effect the other (as one relies on magicka, one on stamina). You could level only these two when leveling up and forget about health because the absorbtion is so high as long as you have enough magicka and you will get hit almost never because of the timeslowing.

Well, playtesting is better than my guessing, but I think this vampire's speed+blood rend combo needs some attention when playtesting.

That is true....but consider this. I have 200 health. As a Sire, I last about 20 seconds in the sun. As it stands, even at night, I have to "kite" just regular trolls at my level because my stamina will run out long before I kill the troll (granted they have regeneration). Perhaps I didn't mention this, but it's not a Fire and Forget spell that lasts X seconds. it's a channelled spell so you lose 10 mana/sec just casting it even if there's no one around. As it stands, I have Blood Rend targetted to Master vampires (3rd rank) which it is easy to get to. I'm 26ish mage with a majority of my focus in mana, and I run out before the troll is dead (of both stamina and magicka). There are ways we can balance this if it needs more balancing. Since it costs 10 mana to cast, and 5 mana per second per target but you absorb 20, we could even this out by making it 15 mana to cast (it's a channelled spell).

I agree, it's a fairly over powering spell at lower levels. 5, even 10 regular bandits will drop like flies with this if you have them grouped all around you. But the 20' range does not feel as far as you might. It's just far enough to keep you from getting hit, but not far enough to necessarily avoid attacks unless you are slowing time. Speaking of that. Vampire's Speed (The time slow toggle ability) is a rank 4 (Progenitor) spell.

That is true....but consider this. I have 200 health. As a Sire, I last about 20 seconds in the sun. As it stands, even at night, I have to "kite" just regular trolls at my level because my stamina will run out long before I kill the troll (granted they have regeneration). Perhaps I didn't mention this, but it's not a Fire and Forget spell that lasts X seconds. it's a channelled spell so you lose 10 mana/sec just casting it even if there's no one around. As it stands, I have Blood Rend targetted to Master vampires (3rd rank) which it is easy to get to. I'm 26ish mage with a majority of my focus in mana, and I run out before the troll is dead (of both stamina and magicka). There are ways we can balance this if it needs more balancing. Since it costs 10 mana to cast, and 5 mana per second per target but you absorb 20, we could even this out by making it 15 mana to cast (it's a channelled spell).

I agree, it's a fairly over powering spell at lower levels. 5, even 10 regular bandits will drop like flies with this if you have them grouped all around you. But the 20' range does not feel as far as you might. It's just far enough to keep you from getting hit, but not far enough to necessarily avoid attacks unless you are slowing time. Speaking of that. Vampire's Speed (The time slow toggle ability) is a rank 4 (Progenitor) spell.

I was actually thinking on making the speed ability one of the first things you learn when you become a vampire; in later stages it becomes more powerful

PS: can you use the speed ability more than once per day?

Edited by deama

I was actually thinking on making the speed ability one of the first things you learn when you become a vampire; in later stages it becomes more powerful

The only thing that I might consider for using it at lower levels would be to scale the time slow down significantly. You get it at 4th rank/stage of Progenitor. Fledglings I don't think should really get it, which leaves only Risen's as the second stage which could perhaps get ~10% decrease.

As for the power, it's a lesser power so it can be used as often as needed. It does take the "Voice" slot as that's the best way to make it toggleable in my oppinion. Outside of that, It's purely stamina bound. As long as you have the stamina you can pretty much use it any time. You cannot, however, use it in what we consider to be direct sunlight. Speaking of which, I need to force it off in direct sunlight.

-MM

Edit: Correction, power is received at 4th level right now...

Edited by MofoMojo

The only thing that I might consider for using it at lower levels would be to scale the time slow down significantly. You get it at 3rd rank/stage of Master. Fledglings I don't think should really get it, which leaves only Risen's as the second stage which could perhaps get ~10% decrease.

As for the power, it's a lesser power so it can be used as often as needed. It does take the "Voice" slot as that's the best way to make it toggleable in my oppinion. Outside of that, It's purely stamina bound. As long as you have the stamina you can pretty much use it any time. You cannot, however, use it in what we consider to be direct sunlight. Speaking of which, I need to force it off in direct sunlight.

-MM

I see...

Deama,

I had to make a correction there. The Vampire's Speed is given at the 4th stage, closest to the end. I could make two additional spells that slow down time at 10% and 20% and we could give those to Risen's and Master's. I would likely leave the stamina drain and mana costs at exactly the same values, and just simply lower the speed bonus to reflect that younger vampires aren't quite as adapt.

What do other's feel?

Oh and here's another quick status update. The hunger SCRIPTING is pretty much done now. Here's how it along with raising stages currently works (this is tweakable via global settings):

When you become a vampire, you start as a fledgling. We track that you're fully fed, let's say that is 100% satiated. Every hour without feeding drops that value by 10%. At 25% or less, a constant Detect Blood is applied. It's a blood red version of Detect Life. At 0% you are full starved. Nothing happens yet, but we'll be adding in some actual bonuses and additional weakness when fully starved. As a fledgling... To get out of being starved you HAVE to feed. There are two times when you can feed currently worked out. Anytime someone is sleeping, and when in combat, and they're bleeding out. When you feed on them, you will do a percentage of damage against someone. That percentage is somewheat based on how starved you are. if you are 0% satiated you'll do 100% damage but you will ALWAYS do at least 25% damage to the person you feed from. This damage is not detected as a hit.

So...If you're FULLY STARVED, you will kill whoever you feed on, if they're not essential characters.

After feeding you'll be back to 100% satiated you gain 25 points to your satiation level, this amount is configurable via global settings. Currently you MUST feed on someone X number of times to progress to each level (refer to Jakisthe's original post).

Let's say you're a Fledgling. To get to Risen you just have to feed once. I may make it so that you HAVE to feed when you're already 100% satiated for it to count. There are also kill requirements via feeding which currently means you can wait until you're starved to kill someone by feeding, or you can kill them in combat via a feed attack. Again, refer to Jakisthe's original post. Currently the kill requirements are disabled for ease of testing purposes.

So dropping levels....

As a Master, you have to starve yourself to drop a level. Currently it takes 25 hours to get into a starving state, again this adjustable in Global settings to get to that point. From that point it takes 72 hours of starvation to drop down to Risen. Once you drop to risen, for ease of scripting purposes, you'll be considered fully satiated. To get to Fledgling you have to wait another 25 hours to go to starving, and 48 hours of starving before you drop.

Sire -> Progenitor -> Master -> Risen -> Fledgling

(25+120)+(25+96)+(25+72)+(25+48) = 436 hours to get to Fledgling from being a Sire or a total of ~18 days.

Edit: Currently feeding will increment your hunger level by 25, not making you 100% satiated. Changed the hunger from 10 hours to 25 hours before going hungry. Updated maths.

Edited by MofoMojo

Another question for comment from everyone. There are two groups that typically go after Vampire's in the game. The Silver Hand, and the Vigilant of Stendar. I'm creating a BeluaVampireFaction to track enemies. I am going to be adding both factions as enemies and putting the player in that faction. Here's the scenario:

At the fifth and final stage of vampirism the player will find themselves in the VampirePCFaction. This is what triggers everyone to hate the player in the vanilla game when they're the final stage. Don't worry, we have a spell that can be used to temporarily remove you from the faction.... it'll probably be a slow magicka drain.... mechanically I'm not sure how that's going to work yet.

Anyway, I was thinking that while the VampirePCFaction is hated by all I'd still like the silver hand and the vigilant to hate the player at most any level? So, What do you think of adding them to our custom faction, and having the player hated by the vigilant and the silver hand from the time they are at Risen stage? With no way to hide yourself from their knowing that you're a vampire. There is an intereesting side effect of that. If Vigilant's attack you and you're liked by guards, the guards will come to your defense!

Please let me know. It's going in for now.

Edit: And are there any other factions you can think that might need to be in this list as enemies?

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo