[WIP] Belua Sanguinare Revisited

Jakisthe

i know that there are diferent literature of vampires that is older but he is the most famous i think.

Yup, I was agreeing with you there earlier. :)

but back to the vampires maybe have a spell thing that gives the player of the ebony cuirass (the one that goes black) and is named something like melt with shadow. it increases sneak weary mutch and reduses the damage from the sun. (or similare efects)

Something that has been on the edge of my thoughts is certainly introducing some potential, helpful, artifacts but I don't want to give vampires too much of an edge up. To throw in some easter eggs you could have something like, "The Amulet of the Daywalker" which let's you walk in the daylight with no damage once a week or month, or on specific days of the week. But honestly, I'm getting too far ahead of myself with some of these ideas at this point. That's not to say don't provide them!!! I really appreciate the input from everyone here as this is and will continue to be the thread that we return to for ideas and to bounce them off.

Once the CK is out we should be able to quickly build the foundation of our vampire and then begin really testing it. Until then, a lot of it is perk and spell design that, for me, I'm doing in SkyEdit and applying to my Vampire to try out different effects and see how they play out. Like...

•  
  • Disabling my Vampiric Evasion perk if the attacker is carrying Garlic.

It's pretty trivial, but when dealing with the Silver Hand, the potential for them to have Garlic in their inventory is present, and since I have 200% weakness to silver....evading power attacks is very helpful.

I've added and removed so much I think my savegame is getting corrupted!

-MMo

Edited by MofoMojo

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know that there are diferent literature of vampires that is older but he is the most famous i think.

Yup, I was agreeing with you there earlier. :)

but back to the vampires maybe have a spell thing that gives the player of the ebony cuirass (the one that goes black) and is named something like melt with shadow. it increases sneak weary mutch and reduses the damage from the sun. (or similare efects)

Something that has been on the edge of my thoughts is certainly introducing some potential, helpful, artifacts but I don't want to give vampires too much of an edge up. To throw in some easter eggs you could have something like, "The Amulet of the Daywalker" which let's you walk in the daylight with no damage once a week or month, or on specific days of the week. But honestly, I'm getting too far ahead of myself with some of these ideas at this point. That's not to say don't provide them!!! I really appreciate the input from everyone here as this is and will continue to be the thread that we return to for ideas and to bounce them off.

Once the CK is out we should be able to quickly build the foundation of our vampire and then begin really testing it. Until then, a lot of it is perk and spell design that, for me, I'm doing in SkyEdit and applying to my Vampire to try out different effects and see how they play out. Like...

•  
  • Disabling my Vampiric Evasion perk if the attacker is carrying Garlic.

It's pretty trivial, but when dealing with the Silver Hand, the potential for them to have Garlic in their inventory is present, and since I have 200% weakness to silver....evading power attacks is very helpful.

I've added and removed so much I think my savegame is getting corrupted!

-MMo

i did under stand that you did agree with me i would just let you know that i was not just a modern vampire freak fan :P

i did not mean day walk. just like a spell that will give you an egde to walk from your house to another place without dying or similar. it one get a daywalk artifact people would get tempted and then even if they dont want to they would use it all the time...

i did under stand that you did agree with me i would just let you know that i was not just a modern vampire freak fan :P

i did not mean day walk. just like a spell that will give you an egde to walk from your house to another place without dying or similar. it one get a daywalk artifact people would get tempted and then even if they dont want to they would use it all the time...

Hence something that could only be used once a week, or month, or something. But again, getting ahead of myself as no such thing is even being considered right now. :)

I reread your previous post, so you're suggesting some type of armor requirement as well as a spell requirement. As long as they're wearing this armor, and channeling the spell they would have reduced damage from the sun? Somewhat of a cloak from the sun.

On that topic... I love the idea of sun damage, and I love the idea of only taking damage in direct sunlight or scaling based off the light level when the sun is out, but what do people thing full body armor should do? From an implementation point, it would be a pain in the rear. But I have one character that has a full plate of armor and not an ounce of his body is exposed to sun light. What's a good way to explain that as I certainly don't want to implement scaling damage based on what they're wearing.

-MM

Yes, we're not trying to simply stick to one idea of a vampire, but combine lore from the real world with TES lore. While I've found some handy lists for keeping track of "real world" vampires, I can find no such thing for TES vampires on any of the wikis (well, I can, but for the most part it's things like "this clan is from the _____ part of _____" or something).

Of course, Dracula is the more famous, and happily enough, he does mesh quite well with other lore, but there are still some inconsistencies.

Trying to combine all of that AND make it appealing in a gameplay sense is quite difficult, but that's why there's 9 pages of posts about it!

Concerning sun damage though...most of what I've seen has vampires being damaged by it (Dracula is weakened, and interestingly enough, both Varney and the character from "The Vampyre" get healed by moonlight instead of damaged by sun). I certainly think it would be a bit much if we had the slightest bit of sunlight being out and out lethal to vampires would be incredibly annoying, but MM made a very nice script for rendering damage based on "vampire level", "brightness" and "time", which is essentially perfect. To the end of more specific effects of sun (regen? powers?), well, those are to be ironed out, but it is, at the very least, unhelpful to vampires :happy:

Now, getting out of the sun..that's another matter. It is incredibly easy to get full body coverage with armor in the game, so I don't think that should be enough. No lore supports that, but from a gameplay perspective, it would almost instantly negate the danger of the sun and thus a large part of being a vampire.

I am loath to get a spell involved though, both because of the extra work and the fact that spell usage implies mentally draining activities...which I don't see "be less damaged" as being, like "make a social-able facade" is. Perhaps getting deep into one of the clan lines, or a rarely invoked daedric blessing could grant some resistance to the sun, but we need to be careful not to make it too easy. As rptb1 said, they're already quite powerful, and I think the idea of traveling from shade to shade is a very interesting change of pace to have the player deal with.

Well put!

Yes, we're not trying to simply stick to one idea of a vampire, but combine lore from the real world with TES lore. While I've found some handy lists for keeping track of "real world" vampires, I can find no such thing for TES vampires on any of the wikis (well, I can, but for the most part it's things like "this clan is from the _____ part of _____" or something).

I am utterly suprised by the depth of knowledge on TES lore that some people have shown in these threads. The closes resource I can really find is The Imperial Library, which I think I've plugged already but just one more time. http://www.imperial-library.info. This is more for others, I think Jakisthe already knew about this place but if others are interested it's really easy to wrapped up in. If anyone knows better locations please do tell!

Now, getting out of the sun..that's another matter. It is incredibly easy to get full body coverage with armor in the game, so I don't think that should be enough. No lore supports that, but from a gameplay perspective, it would almost instantly negate the danger of the sun and thus a large part of being a vampire.

I agree completely. The disconcerning part of it for me is the realism factor. "Wait...that little shadow cast by the tree is enough to protect me but my Steel Plated Armor which fully covers every inch of my body isn't" type reaction. Although, I'm probably just thinking about this too deeply. I'm really just looking for some technobabble to explain why that's the case. :)

I am loath to get a spell involved though, both because of the extra work and the fact that spell usage implies mentally draining activities...which I don't see "be less damaged" as being, like "make a social-able facade" is. Perhaps getting deep into one of the clan lines, or a rarely invoked daedric blessing could grant some resistance to the sun, but we need to be careful not to make it too easy. As rptb1 said, they're already quite powerful, and I think the idea of traveling from shade to shade is a very interesting change of pace to have the player deal with.

There's a thought. Travel to a particular Daedric altar and get a blessing of protection that lasts 1 day. Nearly makes it useless (since you'd likely have to travel far to get it) but it could be an easter egg of sorts. Besides, Some Daedra seem to be all about granting you blessings that are somewhat useless or at least have strings attached (i.e. Clavicus Vile).

-MM

I recommend keeping it simple. I don't rate mods that dump a whole bunch of abilities, stats and powers on you, accompanied by a huge readme. If you can't help yourself, then I recommend having the player acquire the powers in a way that is intuitive, and gives them time to learn how to use them, like the dragon shouts.

Im thinking you should look at the Underworld films for vampire ideas

also may i suggest finding a team working on Werewolf and working with them to create now just two separate mods but one ultimate one that

will also allow the one thing we all want Were-Pires !!!! or is is Vamp-Wolfs ?