Graphics card differences?

neveronyx

I see. Thanks! Man but the price difference between 8500 to 8800 is really huge..

Need to tighten up the budget for the 8800GTX!! hehe :)

thanks again man!

While I do have this card, I don't recommend buying an Geforce 8800GTX right now at it's current price, unless money is no objective. If you look at the performance between the 8800GTS G92 512mb, it actually is comparible to the 8800GTX, but it only cost $230 new (after rebate), while the 8800GTX is $360 new.

The only time the 8800GTX is able to noticably outperform the 8800GTS G92 is at high resolution such as 1920x1200 (due to higher memory bandwidth), but not in all games, and the difference is not big enough (a few fps) to compensate the cost difference. The 8800GTX will require a bit more wattage output from the powersupply, and it's kind of big which is headache for installing to some cases, there is the heat issue also. In some games, the 8800GTS G92 outperform the 8800GTX.

Furthermore, the Geforce 9 serious is out. While I recommend not buying their new Geforce 9800's cards, which is just a recycled technology from the 8 series, both using the G80 chips, the newer 9 series just has higher clocking. Nvidia is riding out their G80 chip and waiting for ATI to catch up, then they will also release Geforce10 series within this year, so it's not wise to get a 9800GTX or GX2 currently, unless you are making a big upgrade.

The Geforce 9600GT is recommended however, using the more efficience G94 chips, lower wattage consumption, making it run cooler. Performs similar to the 8800GT, but with a bonus of HDMI output which I think is about due time that they implement it since all the LCD TVs uses it today. It is a good value because it performs 2 or 3 times over the previous Geforce 8600GT. They will release the 9500 and 9400 sometimes soon and using the G94 chips, so my guess is the Geforce 9500 and 9600 is what I would recommend for the affordable consumer market looking for more performance/dollar.

But don't forgot to check out the ATI competition also, their cards may be slighter slower, but they are begining to perform better and can really challange Nvidia since they will sell their card cheaper than the competition. Especially the case with the ATI HD3870X2, which is competing with the 9800GX2, slightly slower, but also $200 cheaper, and they will continue to cheapen.

Also I don't think it's worth it to get a $600 video card nowaday anymore, unless you are going to use it on large lcd 32" or higher or you have money to waste. Even the 9800GX2 did not show improvement over the 8800GTX Ultra, until it was raise to very high resolution. Many cards half that prices can perform well enough for all the new games. If you want to look at these video card benchmarks, I think Legit Review makes the most comprehensible comparision since they will put about 20 different video cards cards all together on the same chart, and tested them on much more games.

As for brandname, EVGA is usually highly regarded for NVidia cards, since their warranty covers user's overclocking damage. Also their step up program allow you to turn in your card to upgrade to a new one. But the new brand Palit seem to be promising. It depends on your past personal experience though, I love Asus motherboard, but when I bought their Geforce 7900GT, it didn't perform as well as the competition.

Man, all that info blew my mind away..

That was a really in depth cover of how to weigh value and performance. I certainly agree with you on the part about not buying the 9series as of now, too much expensive and it's really not that necessary.

Thanks again man! Kudos!

Archived