ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Mods are not gonna be for free ?

Wraithofdoom

Ok so i was looking at some other forum and i found a link to this, very disturbing, piece of information:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoplegalagreement

Read 3 "payment" if you dont wanna go through the whole thing.

Now just what is this ?! are mods gonna stop being about sharing with the community just for the joy of feedback and to show your work and start being a business ? will each mod we download be like buying a dlc ? are modders for or against this ?

I dont know if people already were aware of this and im just late on news, but since i just found out i wanted to discuss it here in the big TES modding site. What do you think of all this ?

The specifics of whether or not mods will be charged for will depend largly on the inter-corporate contract Valve has with Bethesda. If the contract states that Valve agrees to withhold their rights to service charge for Skyrim mods, then we won't. Otherwise, the decision to charge lies with Valve, and not Bethesda.

Really, i don't see it as a potential issue unless we're talking about really, really big files. I say this because its a known fact that Betheda want sot expand their mods to the consoles, and its widely regarded that the springboard they need to get the legal approval for such by Microsoft and Sony relies heavily on the sucess of Steamworkshop, As such, it's in Bethesda's interests to make sure a lot of people use the service, and charging for peer made files when you can get them for free elsewhere will only hurt the service.

I'd say the chance of there being charges is less than 10%.

Unless, of course, SOPA passes, in which case Bethesda could kill sites like the Nexus with impunity, and FORCE people to use Steamworkshop, fees or no.

The Sh*t workshop is optional, if a company wants to indecently rip the community apart by turning modding into profit, let them. Just boycott the service and use the Nexus because its a third party and nothing to do with ether company.

Nexus is based in the United Kingdom, and although some servers are in the USA, others are not, and the servers could be moved totally outside the USA.

Any attempt to invoke SOPA in either the UK or Europe would result in the learned judges delivering an almighty kick up the arse to Bethesda and Valve. Even giants like Mikey Soft and Sony have to have totally different EULA's for the UK and Europe, because our consumer laws make the kind of restrictive practices that they seem to get away with in the USA illegal. So there is no way that they could kill Nexus with that.

Goodfellow Goodspring, you took the words right out of my mouth. Many modders will boycott Steam Workshop and I would urge those who do to draft their readmes to forbid any re-uploading (ie leeching)to Steam Workshop. Since any adult mods, I am not talking about sex mods but innocuous stuff like nude mods and skimpy armours/clothes won't be allowed on the Steam Workshop anyway, it would be a total win for the puritans if Steam Workshop was the only place for mods. It isn't going to happen. Beth would get egg all over their faces if they pulled a stunt like that. So don't worry.

The specifics of whether or not mods will be charged for will depend largly on the inter-corporate contract Valve has with Bethesda. If the contract states that Valve agrees to withhold their rights to service charge for Skyrim mods, then we won't. Otherwise, the decision to charge lies with Valve, and not Bethesda.

Really, i don't see it as a potential issue unless we're talking about really, really big files. I say this because its a known fact that Betheda want sot expand their mods to the consoles, and its widely regarded that the springboard they need to get the legal approval for such by Microsoft and Sony relies heavily on the sucess of Steamworkshop, As such, it's in Bethesda's interests to make sure a lot of people use the service, and charging for peer made files when you can get them for free elsewhere will only hurt the service.

Unless, of course, SOPA passes, in which case Bethesda could kill sites like the Nexus with impunity, and FORCE people to use Steamworkshop, fees or no.

I dont understand how Bethesda could kill the nexus if the mods are "property" of the modder, right ? if someone makes lets say a weapon from scratch its their work, not bethesda, so they couldnt just kill it (?).

Furthermore i dont think its in their best interest to do so, lets face it, even if we didnt have the nexus and any other way to download mods we would still not pay for them (at least the vast majority of us) because its ridiculous, we would just move on to another game and bye bye Skyrim, so this would only "kill" Skyrim's longevity and that kills Bethesda's sales for their next Elder scrolls game (because we all know if it wasnt for mods Oblivion would have been long forgotten and Skyrim would have received less than half the hype & sales), they would also be incredibly hated by the community, i think bethesda knows all this, or if they dont then they should.

Nexus is based in the United Kingdom, and although some servers are in the USA, others are not, and the servers could be moved totally outside the USA.

Any attempt to invoke SOPA in either the UK or Europe would result in the learned judges delivering an almighty kick up the arse to Bethesda and Valve. Even giants like Mikey Soft and Sony have to have totally different EULA's for the UK and Europe, because our consumer laws make the kind of restrictive practices that they seem to get away with in the USA illegal. So there is no way that they could kill Nexus with that.

Goodfellow Goodspring, you took the words right out of my mouth. Many modders will boycott Steam Workshop and I would urge those who do to draft their readmes to forbid any re-uploading (ie leeching)to Steam Workshop. Since any adult mods, I am not talking about sex mods but innocuous stuff like nude mods and skimpy armours/clothes won't be allowed on the Steam Workshop anyway, it would be a total win for the puritans if Steam Workshop was the only place for mods. It isn't going to happen. Beth would get egg all over their faces if they pulled a stunt like that. So don't worry.

thanks, reading all that really gives me hope, :thumbsup:

Edited by Wraithofdoom

I dont understand how Bethesda could kill the nexus if the mods are "property" of the modder, right ? if someone makes lets say a weapon from scratch its their work, not bethesda, so they couldnt just kill it (?).

Furthermore i dont think its in their best interest to do so, lets face it, even if we didnt have the nexus and any other way to download mods we would still not pay for them (at least the vast majority of us) because its ridiculous, we would just move on to another game and bye bye Skyrim, so this would only "kill" Skyrim's longevity and that kills Bethesda's sales for their next Elder scrolls game (because we all know if it wasnt for mods Oblivion would have been long forgotten and Skyrim would have received less than half the hype & sales), they would also be incredibly hated by the community, i think bethesda knows all this, or if they dont then they should.

This.

The manager of my local GAME store tells me that they still sell large numbers of copies of Oblivion even now for PC because "It's the modding that keeps the sales going."

Wrong, any content created with either parts of content, or the engine used in the game becomes the property of the games parent company. Meaning simply that by making a mod with a custom designed and added sword to Skyrim, makes that mod the property of Bethesda.

Wrong, any content created with either parts of content, or the engine used in the game becomes the property of the games parent company. Meaning simply that by making a mod with a custom designed and added sword to Skyrim, makes that mod the property of Bethesda.

Didnt know that guess im just not aware of all the legal stuff, thanks for the info, i still dont think bethesda would be so dumb to do that.

This.

The manager of my local GAME store tells me that they still sell large numbers of copies of Oblivion even now for PC because "It's the modding that keeps the sales going."

lol exactly.

Edited by Wraithofdoom

The location and opperational base of the Nexus is irrelivent in the terms of SOPA, as it includes not only the ability to remove copyrighted content, but also the ability to block content which is managed outside the duristiction of the USA. Such an act would result in the loss of thousands of members to the Nexus community. Whether dead from the legal hammer, or dead from lack of activity, dead is dead.

Still, doing anything like that is not in Bethesda's best interests. While corporations tend to make increadably assinine choices (Like Sony backing SOPA has hard as they are) from time to time they usually make pragmatic decisions.

It's in Bethesda's best interests to keep the mods thorugh Steamworkshop free, and thus it will almost certianly keep pressure on Valve to prevent charges. Again, its very unlikely we'll see charges for plugins and mods on Steamworkshop unless their in the 10+ gb range, and even then i doubt it.