New to modding(installing) - What am I doing wrong?

Zehunterr

Someone please explain my retardation.

I was told by a friend that I needed *Unofficial Oblivion Patch* before I even think about adding any other mods as well as something called *Oblivion Mod Manager.* I have gotten all the way to the part of actually adding the patch to the Mod Manager, but it does not add everything. Really at a loss here. This is what it looks like: https://puu.sh/tl5pj/7149547f76.png

As you can see, it ONLY adds the ESP files, and not everything else. I have tried to use the *Add Folder* command, but to no avail it does not add them either. Would anyone be able to explain my possible noob(literally) issue?

Side Note: Would using WinRar be a deciding factor as to this issue? I use the *Add Archive* option for the zip file and it just adds the ESP files as stated above :\..

Double Side Note: I posted the same thing to the Steam forums. Apparently there is supposed to be an executable, however mine does not have that. Got the .zip from this website. Just some extra info.

Edited by Zehunterr

OK it's been a long long time since I last did a step by step for an OBMM install, so there may be a couple of parts that aren't exactly right but I think I can get you the broad strokes.

Download the UOP download to a folder (your screenshot leads me to believe you have already done that) and then in OBMM click the Add Archive button (or maybe it's a menu choice). Using the OBMM dialogue that opens navigate to where you download the UOP to, click on the downloaded Unofficial Oblivion Patch-5296-3-5-5.7z file and then click on Create OMOD. It will take quite a while to create the OMOD from the UOP download as it's a very large mod. When it is done you should see the three ESP that the UOP uses offered as a selection ... you probably want at least the Vampire Aging Fix along with the main UOP selection (though also selecting the Citadel Door Fix is OK too, it's just that some don't really need it but it is OK to select anyway). After you've made your selections I believe it just a matter of hitting the Activate button.

Hm okay. So, I get the three ESP files in the window within the omod creator (as shown in the screenshot) after I add archive. I didn't do the create omod yet since there are MANY more files within the folder that do not show up in that window. Is this normal?

I did what you said however and created the omod + activated it. Hopefully everything is correct?

Edited by Zehunterr

Yes I believe you are just seeing the three ESPs as that is the only part that can be "activated" ... all of the files and folders are by default installed when you activate the ESPs.

Some mods will be set up with an OMOD script that will walk you through different installation possibilities, and then based on those selections you make while the script runs will selectively install some files/folders and exclude others (the UOP isn't set up that way any more, same as it doesn't offer an EXE install method any more).

Reading your edit, if you look in the right left hand panel of the OBMM window you should see the three ESPs, each with a tick mark (also where you could deactivate/untick one if you didn't want for example the Citadel Door Fix).

Edited by Striker879

Also, if you don't mind, could you recommend some *you really need these* mods for Oblivion? So far all I know about is the Unofficial Patch. Idk what else I ABSOLUTELY need. I keep seeing the acronym "OBSE" so I figure I need that as well(even though i've no clue what it does).

Yes Wrye Bash is the superior tool, especially for once you start adding plenty of mods (which increases the likelyhood that you have mod conflicts between them). Wrye Bash is the exclusive place to get a bashed patch, which is a mod that Wrye Bash makes to resolve all of the conflicts in your load order. The Wrye Bash installation tool (called BAIN) also has features related to uninstalling mods that OBMM doesn't offer.

Wrye Bash may take a bit more to learn how to use it's more advanced features, but using it is far better documented than OBMM (which has the stuff in it's Help menu, that's it). You can manually download Wrye Bash to a folder and then extract it to that same folder using 7-Zip. You will then find a Mopy\Docs folder ... the Wrye Bash General Readme.html and Wrye Bash Advanced Readme.html are the manual for using it.

- Edit - Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) allows mods that use it do things that can't be done in the vanilla game using just the vanilla scripting. It isn't a "mod" but rather a framework for injecting new things into the Oblivion.exe execuetable (also referred to as plugins). It is possible to enjoy mods that don't require OBSE but chances are you will eventually want a mod that does require it.

Mod recommendations aren't my strong point as I generally am not much interested in many of the more popular mods.

I'd recommend playing the basic vanilla game at least for a while (if you have never played it before) to get a feel for what things you'd like to see different. Then it's just a matter of searching/asking for a mod that changes "XYZ". The game has been around long enough that most all of the common complaints about it have been addressed more than once.

Edited by Striker879

I haven't used WinRAR in probably more than a decade, so I can't say what using newer versions of WinRAR is like vs using 7-Zip. If WinRAR unpacks .7z files OK then I'd say using it should be OK ... you will find that most downloads from here are .7z (which I believe is 7-Zip's format).