Playing skyrim without steam

Matt Bling

Wanting to bypass steam but for a different reason. I'm currently overseas and the internet connection here makes dial-up look like a nice stable connection. Unfortunately steam isn't even giving me the option to run in offline mode and since it has trouble connecting to my steam account (it trys for about 5 minutes til it gives up then closes after I click ok when prompted) it simply won't let me play... those so called achievements of theirs aren't any good if you can't play the game. Personally I'd love to go back to the days when you simply downloaded your patches manually. If all else failed I could get a friend to mail it to me on disk... it would be faster most of the time. =p

You have to go online to go offline! If you had gone to offline mode before you went abroad you'd be okay. Not sure where you are now but if there's an internet cafe around you could go there, log in, choose 'Play Offline' and you'd be good. After that you just hit 'Continue in Offline Mode' when the game starts and you don't have to have an internet connection then. Unfortunately simply having the disk won't do you any good anyway because you'd still have to connect to Steam anyway. (Unless you had a backup copy of version 1.1 which doesn't require Steam to play.)

Malshek, I think if you run Steam with no internet connection at all (unplug cables/wireless card or just firewall Steam), it offers to start in offline mode. That's assuming you've activated the game online at least once and haven't activated the "Don't save credentials" Steam option.