Horses (my wish for Skyrim)

Trick13

Aside from some obvious things like mounted combat, essentially limitless carrying capacity, and absolutely woeful combat AI, horses in Skyrim leave so very much to be desired!

So with that in mind here of some of my thoughts as to what Skyrim's horses should entail;

First off - one "class" of horse, really? BORING!!! Secondly, there is nothing about them that gives you any motivation to keep them. Not to mention the utter lack of reason to build any attachment to them from a role playing perspective.

And so here is my wish for horses of Skyrim;

Riding horse - low HP, Low carry weight (player plus 100 pounds), moderate speed, low stamina and 0 confidence will actually run away from battles forcing you to chase it down after

battles are complete, no commands, no mounted combat, better than 50 percent chance attackers will spook causing you to be thrown from said horse

cannot be armored or have packs equipped

Sturdy Horse- slightly better HP & stamina, carry weight PC (player character) plus 150 pounds, still moderate speed, low confidence will run away from battles but linger nearby

only spooked by more intimidating badies but still at 50 percent, thinking Saber Cats, Bears, and above, no mounted combat, one small saddle bag, no commands

can not be armored

L War Horse- HP/stamina/carry upgrade, slightly better speed, 25 percent to spook only by Trolls, Giants, or mobs of 5 or more -( will fight wolves, S cats, bears), will run from and linger nearby, command set available ( stay, go home, call horse, (whistle mod wud be cool here) Leather/ L chain mail armor, bigger pack, mounted combat available

M War Horse- upgrade all except speed, no spook chance, will fight bigger badies, thinking Frost wud be here class wise

H War Horse- upgrade all again except speed - Shadowmere placed here class wise can give plate armor thinking PC plus 275 carry weight

Scout/ Speed Horse - Much higher speed, L War Horse battle grading, M War Horse carry with leveled speed penalties depending on weight

Any thoughts???

I think this is a great idea. I've got some ideas for flying mounts too

Flying Horse (pegasus) - Can fly, but is riding horse in everything else (25k gold from a wizard in a tower infested with crazed apprentices, think conjurers)

Odahviing (dragon mount) - Dragon that can fly and fight. But you must do a long and hard quest for him to relinquish control to you

Edited by frakle

First off - one "class" of horse, really? BORING!!!

Lets be honest, Oblivion only had one breed of horse unless you would call a different colour a completely different experience of riding ^^

I cant believe im gonna say this, but i think war horses would be a good idea (aka horse armour) to make them more intimidating and better at taking blows.

& obviously mountable dragons will be great.

First off - one "class" of horse, really? BORING!!!

Lets be honest, Oblivion only had one breed of horse unless you would call a different colour a completely different experience of riding ^^

I cant believe im gonna say this, but i think war horses would be a good idea (aka horse armour) to make them more intimidating and better at taking blows.

& obviously mountable dragons will be great.

I'm assuming you never got past using the free horse in Oblivion. Oblivion had quite a few horses, ranging from slow and bulky like Skyrim's sad excuse for a horse and fast and strong. A black horse was a far cry from the painted meat horses.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Horses

I was also thinking of an Epic class horse - ones that you would have to unlock via special quests

Was thinking Pegasus kinda in those terms, unicorn (which cud only be achieved by super goodie two shoes types - although that wud have required some sort of fame/infamy or lawful chaotic meter or karma deal) and cud heal you once per day to max health, sta, magika, a horse with some epic name that was the incarnate version of the deadric prince of wars' horse which would require you to defeat said prince on a field of battle on his plane with weapons of his choice) and maybe a couple others like a super fast "King of Horses" etc All of these wud have unique attributes, special abilities and higher than normal HP, Stamina, or whatever

I say no to motorbikes, but I can see why some might like that.

Dragons as mounts seems like a natural progression to me, of course I had hoped that not all the dragons would be aggressive/evil, actually hoped this wud just be in the game, as I have not completed it - I did not realize this just didnt happen in the game - dang dang dang I says...

A Dwemer Centurion or giant spider mount (mechanical or otherwise) would be nice exotic choices to add. One would be a relatively reasonably way to ride a giant robot in TES and the other would be an incredibly useful mountain climbing mount.

It would be able to scale any surface and would never fall to its death because it would have a life line of silk as it moves along.

Edited by justwannaddl

I forgot to mention that I would set the prices @ 500 gold, then 1000, then 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 and the epic mounts would require in depth quest lines, and so while being "free" they would require a certain level to open the questline along with additional requirements of discovering the clues to begin the quest.

I would also suggest that some areas/ holds would have different combos of available horses, and the H War and Scout/Speed horses would only be available at 2 locations each one of Imperial connections and one of Stormcloak connections, not necessarily the same location for each type.

As far as dragon mounts - you would have to reach a certain level, complete main quest to a certain point, complete a quest to gain audience with said dragon, and then pay the great and powerful beast a huge treasure (or a specific treasure item as a dragon given quest) as a gesture of good faith - as traditionally dragons are treasure hoarders.

Also, I wish they had taken some clues from Assasins Creed 2 with regards to turning and the different speeds as per actual distance traveled and animations, plus turning while rearing was cool in that game!

AND MAYBE SOME NEW WEOPONRY - lances and such for mounted combat