Glitching distant terrain - video of problem included

n17dizzi

Hi there,

I have an issue with terrain in the distance glitching and wonder if there is a fix?

This is a video of the problem,watching in HD makes it easier to spot, the snowy mountains in the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd-t6FLj9Hk

My settings are 2560 x 1440, 4 x aa, 16 x af, high/ultra game settings, maximum view distance, no mods.

system is i5 2500k, sli 460, P8Z68, 16GB Ram, latest drivers on graphics card and motherboard - game is up to date with steam...

Thank you in advance for any help you can give

dizzi

I believe it is called 'z-fighting'

Lowering the distant object detail from ultra to medium has improved matters, tho I've only tested on a 1680 x 1050 screen. When I move over to 2560 x 1440 shortly it might be different.

If anyone else has managed to fix it any advice would be much appreciated

Well I have found a fix of sorts.

It is a problem with the game called 'z fighting' with lod textures.

Having tried some different tweaks in the ini and settings, quite happy with the results.

I've dropped the AA to 2x and AF is 16x in the NV inspector.

I've increased the shadow resolution and sharpness in the ini (which looks fantastic compared to the old setting)

I've dropped 'distant object detail' to medium but upped the uGridtoload from 5 to 7 which has helped with pop up.

I've taken a hit to frames but still not dropping below 35 and averaging around 50.

note, ambient occlusion at quality or high quality (in nvidia inspector) looks fantastic but with my GPU set up I can't run it @ 2560 (or even 1920!)

SLI 580s might be able to handle it and is worth it for sure.