Game crashes to desktop when equipping a recreated clothing mod

http://imgur.com/a/ELUj6

Im trying to convert a mod, using the skyrim to fo4 tutorial that was recently posted on nexus. (gonna ask permission to share it, if i can get this to work).

As the picture found in the link would show, I seem to have done everything properly, but when equipping the item in game it crashes to desktop. sometimes i dont even get that far before it crashes.

I checked the nif in nifskope and i cant find a single problem, ive gone over it so many times. The material files all look perfect also, but thats a given from the preview in outfit studio.

I made sure it was set to cbbe body (in outfit studio and nifskope both) and I have cbbe active so it cant be a problem with me not having the proper skeleton for the equipment to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

Edited by brothalynshhung

Generally, texture path problems just cause the "missing texture purple", not a CtD. More often then not, when an object causes a CtD when loaded (as yours is now), it's a problem with the mesh, not the texture. I'd need to see the nif to be able to help more, although I don't have a ton of experience with clothing so I might not be the best person to fix whatever little problem in the nif structure is causing it to fail catastrophically.

i went into nifskope and theres objects that are showing up in the nif as flat square/rectangle type objects when theyre supposed to be actual shapes (they show up as actual shapes in outfit studio).

pic: http://imgur.com/a/T2xVw

could that have something to do with the problem? i did try deleting those objects and keeping the ones that are normal but it still crashed. I tried deleting all but one objects and it worked (purple texture but I think I just had to fix some paths to the textures).

I could upload the nif to dropbox or something but you probably dont want to waste your time on something that seems so hopeless:\

Edited by brothalynshhung

kittcat81 is right, something being wrong with the texture could cause a CtD. Bad texture path will just get that purple you saw, though. One way to test and see if it is the meshes or the textures would be to make a copy of the nif and replace all the texture paths to point to a vanilla one. If it stops crashing, there is something wrong with one of the textures.

It might not be a problem with size, either, there could be something with the format that needs to be changed.

Also, feel free to upload the nif. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to figure it out, and it might be a while before I look at it, but I'm not the only one on the nexus who likes to occasionally figure out problems like this for fun. Not sure why it can be fun, I guess it's the challenge of it.

awesome, thank you so much for the help you two.

I cant believe how many mods ive got to work right knowing now how many things I should have been doing that I havent been >.<

I will try changing any textures that dont have proper dimensions, as well as change the texture paths to vanilla ones and see if it still crashes (great idea!)

Here is the dropbox link for the nif that looks perfect in Outfit Studio but crashes to desktop when equipping the item, in case anyone feels like taking the time to look at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ydsbn3los05xr2/CtdNif.nif?dl=0

Again tyvm for the help you two, much appreciated!

i figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!

so hyped right now lmao.

Ok so i started going through objects of the nif one by one, testing them in game without the others, seeing what caused CtD. found an object that was causing crash and compared it to one that wasnt in nifskope, turns out (i feel really dumb for not noticing this sooner) the objects in the .nif that are causing the CtD seem to all be missing "NiNodes" in "BSSKIN:INSTANCE", while the ones that work have a slightly varied but very similar list of 7 or 8 NiNodes under that category.

So I deleted 2 of the 7 objects in the nif, the ones that were missing those NiNodes in BSSKIN:INSTANCE, loaded up the 5 objects that were good in game and they worked perfectly. (Well other then them swaying a lot is there a way to make them stationary????)

Of course this could be an insane coincidence but I doubt it, and im going to test further. But I want to ask now that I know this, instead of just deleting the problematic objects in the .nif, does anyone know how to fix this? I cant copy and paste them from one object to the other (or dont know how using nifskope) and even if I could they vary a bit so I wouldn't know which object to copy them from.

So how do I fix these objects missing the NiNodes in BSSKIN instead of deleting them?? and also stop the sway maybe?

Thanks so much for any help.