Mass Effect 3 Will Require Origin on PC

hector530

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im just curious how many of you are from the US?

I'm located in France and we have some legislation protecting individual rights when it comes to computers and information. In other words "information technology must respect the human identity, the human rights, privacy and liberties" -it's very hard to implement but that is a safeguard and at least it's a principle that we uphold over here.

I can live without ME3 Multiplayer. It doesn't sound like much anyway. I've heard about Origin before, actually it made me buy BF3 ob PS3 instead of PC. I can't wait to start my IT studies, maybe it will make me able to defend myself against stuff like this. But for now, I'll just stay clear.

I've looked through the entire thread. Couple of pages before, someone posted screen that shows Origin scanning his smartphone pc app user information as a proof that it does NOT scan his personal information. Just... wow. That's a role model of corporations' favourite customer. Wouldn't see the truth even if it would punch him in the face.

Edited by kiler234

So many complaints, no solutions. There are solutions. They are annoying. But if you don't want to risk, they work quite well.

It's simple. Use other Operating System installation for such potentially suspicious software like Steam or Origin where you never use your personal documents or information.

Either install second OS on different Hard Drive Partition or use virtual machine.

First one should have no performance issues, but is annoying because you have to reboot to switch OS.

Second one you have to be careful in assigning computing performance for it, because you run two OS at the same time. But that's no big deal these days. CPUs are powerful enough and RAM is cheapest ever. Only HDDs are a bit expensive these days. Let's hope they put the business back on track after that disaster.

Anyway in both cases you run totally isolated OS instances so you can easily control what you do in which one. And yes, you can even have two Win 7 installed on one computer even if they are OEM. The hardware is same and online activation will work too.

Or you can have two PCs. A Gaming one and other one for personal things. If you don't mind buying them.

To the topic though... I hate the direction online DRM is going. I hate when I buy a box with a game and have to register it online and have some other program running in order to play the game... I'm jealous that Console players do not need to worry about these things... I hate when I can't lend the game to my brother so he can play too... but it did not stop me buying Skyrim.

Still this gives me second thoughts on buying Mass Effect 3 even that I am really excited about it. I do not want another software I do not need to run on my PC...

When I look at my LP and CD collection I smile. I can play them whenever I want. I can lend them to whoever I want. I don't need to be online in order to play them. Nobody is ever going to take them away by canceling some online service.

We're living in age when those above us are testing our patience. Invading our privacy on many levels. If we let ourselves being eaten bit by bit, we'll end up slaves to our society. I do not want my kids living in such age. It's time to think about it and set borders for ourselves. How fare do I let them go? Do I really need to buy/use things under such conditions? Will I still be happy without them?

This song is getting a new meaning for me: "Mother should I build a wall?" - Mother - The Wall - Pink Floyd

Edited by Bunik

Just so everyone knows that was saying the most recent version of origin doesn't do the data mining like it did, well, sorry to break it to you, I got the most recent version of origin and checked it out. I blacked my name in the users section and in the lower left corner of these images (taken only a few minutes apart) you can see how much it is doing and how fast, and in the second image you can see just what it is trying to do with the files it is opening. This is just a small example.

http://i.imgur.com/5Ynlv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xmsuw.jpg

I have Origin open for 10 minutes now, and I'm watching at process monitor.

It is only scanning X:/Program Files/Origin/Origin.exe , EACore_App.ini or the Origin folder.

Right now it's showing 900,000 out of 1,000,000 events, and not one of them has Origin snooping around my private data.

Here's a print screen of Process Monitor at 1:22: http://imageshack.us/f/208/origin1.png/

Here's one at 1:31: http://imageshack.us/f/17/origin2.png/

I would love to find some proof that Origin is scanning my private files, I hate EA and everything they look at.

But I have not found any solid proof of Origin being spyware.

I'm not blocking Origin with any programs, I only have Avast open all the time without any additional modifications.

Are you sure it's not something else? A virus or something?

I'll try to do some more testing and see what I can find out.

I have Origin open for 10 minutes now, and I'm watching at process monitor.

It is only scanning X:/Program Files/Origin/Origin.exe , EACore_App.ini or the Origin folder.

Right now it's showing 900,000 out of 1,000,000 events, and not one of them has Origin snooping around my private data.

Here's a print screen of Process Monitor at 1:22: http://imageshack.us/f/208/origin1.png/

Here's one at 1:31: http://imageshack.us/f/17/origin2.png/

I would love to find some proof that Origin is scanning my private files, I hate EA and everything they look at.

But I have not found any solid proof of Origin being spyware.

I'm not blocking Origin with any programs, I only have Avast open all the time without any additional modifications.

Are you sure it's not something else? A virus or something?

I'll try to do some more testing and see what I can find out.

The first thing it scans is it's own files, you have to scroll down quite a ways in that long list there to see it start to scan your browsing history and whatnot.

EDIT: Also, in my images, you can clearly see it trying to access my IE 5 browsing history, which is a clear violation of privacy. I don't use IE 5, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is trying to access firefox browsing history as well. Also, about the virus idea, no. I started the monitor before I started Origin and had a filter to only show Origin.exe in the window. Nothing showed until I started Origin, and it ended as soon as I closed Origin. So unless there is spyware directly in Origin... oh wait... :armscrossed:

Edited by Sepherose