How do you play?

bolivor

I was just wondering how people prefer to play Skyrim. Are you a serious roleplayer, taking your time and really getting into your character and the game world, using skills and only doing jobs your character type would use; or do you have a less rigid playstyle, using skills and taking faction quests based on fun, wielding a warhammer with a banish enchantment named "The Banhammer"? Just curious...

I RP as much as possible

Malfurion (sorry, just couldn't think of a name then) is a Bosmer, and like all Bosmer he was an excellent archer. However bad times has fallen on his lands in Valenwood near the the border of Cyrodiil because of the war, so when peace was made, he made his way to Skyrim, to a land which was relatively untouched physically by the war to try and start again. He really did not want to side with Thalmor, as he wasn't really a racial supremacist, and thought maybe Skyrim would be a good place to start.

Unluckily he was at the right place at the wrong time, being caught in the crossfire between the Stormcloaks and Imperials and was captured crossing the border. Luckily a dragon helped him escape with an Imperial soldier (I was too crazed at the time and did not notice the stormcloak guy). He made way to Whiterun to report to the Jarl, where he became a part of the Companions and for a time was a mercenary. Doing some work for the Jarl, he got sent to the Greybeards when he absorbed a Dragon Soul. Eventually, training with the Greybeards, he met one of the Blades who asked me to infiltrate the Thalmor embassy. He was like, WTF? Me? Going into the nest of those bigots? So he ran, he ran from what the woman was saying was his duty as the Dragonborn, to Riften. It was far from Whiterun hold where the Blades were, near the border with Morrowind, and news had it that in Riften the people weren't so racist as they were in the frozen North, and the other races were accepted well enough to be able to own establishments in the city itself.

Trying to find work, he found himself joining the Thieves Guild, and swash-buckled his way to infamy as the rumored second coming of the Grey Fox, and brought back the Thieves' Guild to its former glory. However, attaining the mantle of the Guild Master did little good to pacify him, and he eventually tried to visit Whiterun in secret, to see his friends among the Companions. There, Kodlak asked him a favor, to help him get rid of the curse the Glen Moril witches placed upon the Companions. Honoring his Harbinger, he accepted. However he could not have averted Kodlak's death, but even death could not keep him from helping his old friend and initial mentor in battle arts.

In his grief, he travelled to Windhelm, where he thought he might find the company of his fellow Mer aleviating in this point in life, since he hear many elves dwelt in the city now, and he wondered if there were any Bosmer there as well. However reaching there did not make his mood any better, seeing the terrible condition the Dunmer were in, and how the natives treated elves in particular; not that he could blame them, but he did not like them anyway. While in the city, he heard of the Aretino orphan. He figured that maybe he could bring the kid to the orphanage in Riften with him, but it ended up with him being kidnapped by Astrid of the Dark Brotherhood. Given the choice of to kill someone or be killed, he killed a defenseless person for the first time in his life. It was a new experience, and he eventually became one of the Brothers.

Dragons have become more of a threat however, as even more powerful dragons began roaming the land killing entire villages. Finally he decided, maybe he should accept his fate, and try to stop the Dragons. With a great twist of fate, he ended up killing Alduin the world eater and becoming a master of Dragons. His friend Paarthunax is off in the wild trying to convert other dragons to peace, while he, the Dragonborn of Fate, Agent of Nocturnal, Listener of the Dark Brotherhood and Harbinger of the Companions set off to put the land to peace by joining the legion.

--------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, the main mistake I did was join the brotherhood, it ruined the story. But it did help me make the choice to go Imperial.

Edited by chanchan05

very badly actually.....

i hate to "grind" and game to me is something that i sue to burn time....though skyrim is quite addicting....

so in all my playthroughs i have a bat created to set my player to essential (hate loading screens)....give him uber blacksmithing and enchanting skills....the rest i play by ear.....

though i seem to take the same sides and pretty much play the same way through all my different playthroughs...

I feel that without all the side quests and extra quests you can do it is too quick to finish. The main plot line is very good but woefully short and one of the easiest I can remember for TES. I do completely agree that the Darkbrotherhood is not at all what I thought it would be. It's a go fetch and bring back something except you murder someone. After two or three they get very old indeed. I have played through five times now and each time I did it differently. TES Skyrim is a good game for that. but after two full times playing vanilla Skyrim I have "modded" the crap out of it just to see how far I can push it.It's a good game that could have been great.

I don't hardcore roleplay my characters but I don't do everything and anything either. I stick to my basic character concept but don't fuss too much over the little details like sleeping or never fast traveling. Once I do a Guild Quest Line it will be a LONG time before I do it again, if ever. This was the same for me in Oblivion. I finished the main quest in Oblivion once and never felt compelled to redo it again. Same with the Guild Quests (the Fighters Guild Quest Line bored me so much I could never finish it). The stuff I love about ES games are not the quests. I love the exploring and building up one's character and just savoring the world for it's own sake. And decorating my house. Hurry CK!

I find it hard to believe that you have to ability to actually be the leader of everything. I think it should be, once you complete so many quests in any given line, you are no longer offered the ability to advance past a certain stage in the others. You just can't be both the leader of the Democratic party and the Republican party, I think someones bound to find out and you'd lose a contribution or two.

I find it hard to believe that you have to ability to actually be the leader of everything. I think it should be, once you complete so many quests in any given line, you are no longer offered the ability to advance past a certain stage in the others. You just can't be both the leader of the Democratic party and the Republican party, I think someones bound to find out and you'd lose a contribution or two.

This. I am the Listener of the DB and killed the emperor, but I am also a legate. But then you can call that infiltration. LOL.

I stopped playing for a while after I completed the main quest, became Arch Mage, Listener, and the Thieves Guild Master. I burnt myself out on it within a month, probably because for the first week I played it about 10-12 hours a day(with one day being a straight 16 hour stretch, haven't done that since RE4). After a few weeks I found myself just going to every town and buying every ingredient the Alchemists had and making beastly potions thanks to enchanted equipment. I do some exploring sometimes and wind up with some random ass quests, but most of the time I end up either buying stuff that I rarely use but want and making potions that I'll never use(seriously, half of my inventory weight is potions, and I have probably twice that amount stored in containers).

I just recently started playing it again after getting bored of Fallout New Vegas 30 hours in. Sided with the Stormcloaks and finished that quest line. Did some more exploring and accidentally finished side quests I forgot I had. My main focus lately has been getting the rest of my skill up(most of my magic related skills are still below 50) and getting through the Companions quest line that I just started.

I pretty much just do random stuff until I either get tired or bored. I started a second character a while back but every time I load it up I go to my journal and see a total of 6 or 7 active quests and just say "Yea...screw this" and end up either quitting or going back to my main haha.

I make up a nice little backstory to my character, and then just play the game. Such as making a white Khajiit named 'Snow-walker' (if only we had a bigger Khajiit dictionary) who was born in Skyrim and considers it his home. The cold doesn't bother him like other Khajiit. He's well known even before the game starts, because the Nords kinda like him as this wandering, snow-bound Khajiit who's just like them (he's like a minor celebrity just through being rather unique and interesting) and in this case the Imperials kinda have him bang to rights; they caught him as he was approaching Ulfric to join up.

Then I go smash everything in the face with a warhammer. Or my fists.

A logic that only works with warring factions.