Mod Announcement: Learning Magic Overhaul

JetSteele

Erudite - Study Magic

Version: 2.00

Authored By: JetSteele

Required: SSE v1.2.39.0.8+

Do you find it strange that you can open a book and automatically know how to cast a spell? This mod overhauls how magic is learned within the world of Skyrim. Instead of opening a book once and automatically knowing a spell you must now bring the spell tome to a qualified mage and have them teach you how the spell works... Don't forget the tome!

HOW TO LEARN SPELLS

- Instructor Skill Level: This is very important as not just any mage found within the world has the ability to teach spells. A mage of Adept aptitude cannot teach spells of the Expert or Master levels as those spells exceed his own progress level.

- Instructor Proficiency: Another important characteristic for an instructor, if the mage that is teaching the player a spell is an Alteration mage then he won't be able to teach Conjuration, Destruction, Illusion, or Restoration magic as those schools aren't the ones that he/she mastered.

- Dragonborn Proficiency: The player must also be proficient in the school of magic to learn a spell from that school. As an example the player must have the Destruction Adept Perk to be allowed to learn Destruction Adept Spells; without that perk the option for those spells won't appear on the menu.

- Instructor Payment: The player must pay the instructor to teach the spell in question, the more advanced a spell is the more Gold you would need to pay to gain the instruction necessary to cast the spell; the price can range from 20 Gold all the way to a little over 1000 Gold per spell.

- The Spell Tome: This should go without saying but...BRING THE TOME TO THE INSTRUCTOR. If you want to learn a spell you should bring the book detailing how to cast the spell with you otherwise its like going to class without your textbook... you won't learn much.

The goal of this mod is to overhaul the magic system and make learning magic a much more immersive experience from a role-playing perspective.

The announcement page has been updated and clarified and the structure has been cleaned up from how it used to look. Also the mod has just officially launched so those that were looking for a mod like this can now go to the mod page and download it! Link is in the first post.

Enjoy!

Erudite v1.50 Update is Live!

Changelog:

- General Bug Fixes

- Instructor Message Altered (Instructor Details Added)

- Spectral Arrow Added to Learning System

- Spectral Arrow Re-Integrated into Mission Reward

- Spell Tome Framework Created

As you can see from the changelog not much was altered; I've done some small general bug fixes to optimize the mod, the Instructor message was changed to now also show the school of magic the person teaches and their skill level so you don't have to guess.

Probably the biggest addition is that I re-integrated the Spectral Arrow spell into the game, it has been added to the Apprentice Conjuration learning system and the spell tome is a reward you receive from the 'Infiltration' quest just as it was intended to be in the base game. Now, USSEP fixes things in that quest and probably a question that will come up is if this mod is now incompatible with USSEP because of the Spectral Arrow re-integration.

The answer is that this mod is still completely compatible with USSEP, I've edited a dialogue script that USSEP doesn't touch at all and the quest isn't edited in the mod meaning that USSEPs edits will apply with both mods active. So no need to worry about these 2 mods being incompatible.

Finally the spell tome framework has been implemented into the mod (at the moment only 3 tomes use the framework: Equilibrium, Flaming Familiar, and Spectral Arrow). I will be working on writing all the spell tomes out so they won't remain blank books with only the spell name written inside.

That being said, the next update will have all the spell books completely written up.

Enjoy the update!

• 2 weeks later...

v2.00 News Update!

As you may know from my last post I am in the middle of writing up the spell tomes of the game, which if you've tried to collect them all you'd know there are a lot of in Skyrim.

This post is to let you know that I've written up roughly 50% of the spell tomes in the base game. I have the remaining half of the spell tomes to write up before the next update is made available to the public. The spell tomes will have a description of the spell written inside its pages and as previous updates of this mod, they will still function as regular books from the game.

The tomes don't disappear from the inventory when the spell is learned from an instructor, therefore collectors can build up their home libraries with spell tomes that are actually legible in the next update.

Cheers,

JetSteele

v2.00 Released!

Changelog:

- Spell Tomes Written

As promised the spell tomes are actually written up now and look like real spell books, I'm thinking of working in an update which changes the font to either Oblivion or Dragon font instead of english to give it a more mystical feel to the book however I am uncertain when I'd want to work on something like that.

Enjoy the update!

• 2 months later...

Could we get a patch or a pdf/txt list of corresponding perks that are needed in regards to what Ordinator perk overhaul changes and what perks would be needed to learn/cast spells from each respective school and at what level?