What is the big fuss over having the official Ck

rabidNode

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CK almost opens and unlimited number of possibilities to Skyrim. New voices (sure), bug fixes (absolutely, the mods can be more thorough the patches), more weapons (but better implemented then currently), new armors (same as before), new characters, new areas, new quests, new spells, new races... need I go on? The CK is how Bethesda created the game and entirely new content can be created with it.

There are quite a few mods on Nexus that use .esp files, but they tend to be only small changes, like adding a few weapons to the game, etc. Plus they tend to cause unpredictable results. Using the publisher's own software almost ALWAYS works better, it will record mod files the right way.

To the OP, go build me a large castle to my exact specifications right now, without the CK. Or make some new quests (other than dungeon crawls). Can't do it, can you? Some of the tools people have made so far are surprising, but most will be instantly obsolete when the CK comes out. You've obviously never modded a TES game before. Their mod kits have always been top-notch and easy to use.

Housing. That alone is reason enough for the fuss.

The default player housing is all absolute crap. It's like they knew what specific features most players really wanted in a house, and left them out intentionally. I can modify an existing house to near perfection in under 30 minutes with a CK; trying to do even half that amount of work with poor results takes over 1-2 hours of in-game console command usage.

Almost half the mods on the Nexus right now are just giant boobs, japanime-themed armor replacers, and giant buster swords (I'm not kidding, there are like 50 buster sword mods).

The floodgates will open and quality mods will drown out all the crap within days of the CK release.

Now don't take that as a polemic against current mod offerings - there are indeed many quality texture/mesh mods out.

Almost half the mods on the Nexus right now are just giant boobs, japanime-themed armor replacers, and giant buster swords (I'm not kidding, there are like 50 buster sword mods).

The floodgates will open and quality mods will drown out all the crap within days of the CK release.

Now don't take that as a polemic against current mod offerings - there are indeed many quality texture/mesh mods out.

I agree with you. It's sad how many adult mods their are compared to non-adult... Especially after the CK comes out. I mean look at Oblivion. No one seriously plays that game anymore. It's all about gigantic bouncy tits with anime like faces or quests about girls with penises f***ing other girls.

I have few mods that I actually use on Nexus (SkyUI, FXAA, and HD landscape and armor textures are a given) like WO3E, Concept83s unique spells, Deadly dragons, and Wars in Skyrim.

The kit allows for near infinite possibilities with mods. Animators can now use their animation, modelers can now get their models in game without fuss, textures can uv map models to apply their new textures and game scripters can actually have fun and get to work as they haven't really been able to without the kit :laugh: . We can also stop seeing those silly daily mods which someone has only used a colour slider to change the texture than maybe added some line of speech from a tv show or another game.

That's all already being done. "Without fuss", though? Less fuss in many ways, but such work is never without fuss. It's not a holy grail. The developers used a better version yet still had problems making the game perfect in everyone's eyes.

What are you talking about with lines of speech. The CK won't add new voice acting.

And won't you see more "silly daily mods" after the CK?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. Bonus! I've just never been into a game with a CK release and am used to mods without. Oh, wait, there was Hal-Life 2 for me, but I never got into the offshoots from their CK.

It isn't being done with little fuss. People have to use a lot of older tools just to do something that could be done in a few minutes in the kit. In Oblivion you would see cool armor mods added nearly every day, and there are probably less than 15 stand alone pieces or armor for Skyrim out of the 5000 or so mods. With the kit after a few clicks and file paths to set you are ready to generate an esp. I don't believe there are proper nifscripts yet either for editing meshes in nifskope. Without the proper use of nifskope setting a new texture with a different UV layout than vanilla's is much harder to do. Almost no mods are script base either, and the ones that are use SKSE instead of what skyrim can already do. With the kit these could all be done in the CK and use an esp. Maybe there wont be less silly mods, but there will be 'full' mods which stand out a lot more than an animal mesh stretched over a different animals skeleton. mazakala hit the nail on the head about the audio mods :laugh: (Though the dragon one is the only one I found funny)

You can't really build a new dungeon or a new quest without the CK or an aftermarket tool that does exactly the same thing. I saw where someone actually built a new dungeon using TESSnip and whatever else, and he apologized for the things he could not do up right until he gets the CK. (He vows to go back and refine his mod when he gets the CK.) So a genius hacker could build a dungeon right now, but it would not be very good, and it could be done like 50 times faster with the CK. (imagine painting your bedroom. Would you rather do it with nothing but a 1.5 centimeter brush, or would you rather do it with a powersprayer, roller on an extension pole, and an assortment of 8 centimeter brushes for corners and edges and trim work?)

You've clearly never modded.

Is it really still called modding when using a CK?

Cute.

It really is, and how arrogant and ignorant your post makes you look. Of course it's considered modding, the Creation Kit is the software the devs used to make the game, and it allows near unlimited alteration and modification to aspects of the game. It's far more effective modding.