NPCS reactions to your race?

scottmack

Hello everyone, did some looking through the internet to try and find something on this but couldn't see anything.

Basically I was wondering, what differences does it make to the game (Not including stats) when you pick your race?

So far i've only played as Nord and imperials, but i plan on making a Khajiit thief or Orc mercenary.

I heard from a friend some NPCs react with his argonian character differently and sometimes make comments about him.

So excluding human races how is your character usually treated?

Khajiit? People not trusting you, presuming your a thief since the other Khajiit are forced to live outside the walls..

Orcs? Instant access to orc forts? Do they give you a bed to sleep in at the fort?

Argonian? Same kind of treatment they recieve at windhelm, little respect?

All 3 kinds of elven races?

If anyone with experience in the non-human races could help it would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Maybe we'll see mods like that in the future? Would be awesome.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isnt Cyrodiil this is Skyrim. They are many many many signs of extreme racism(the grey quarter, the argonian assemblage, the khajiit caravaners not be allowed into the city.) The thing thats lacking is the effect it has on your character(almost nothing)

They dropped the ball.

The Grey Quarter and the Argonian assemblage are signs of STORMCLOAK racism not overall Nordic racism. Also the Dunmer in Windhelm are lazy freeloaders.

Riften shows that both Dunmer and Argonians are allowed to peacefully intigrate into cities with little to no racism.

The Khajiit caravans are barred because the Khajiit's are, rightly so, considered to be drug sellers and thieves, and if you look through their caravan items you will see moon sugar, which is illegal.

Keeping out drug smugglers isn't racism, it is following Imperial law.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

This isnt Cyrodiil this is Skyrim. They are many many many signs of extreme racism(the grey quarter, the argonian assemblage, the khajiit caravaners not be allowed into the city.) The thing thats lacking is the effect it has on your character(almost nothing)

They dropped the ball.

The Grey Quarter and the Argonian assemblage are signs of STORMCLOAK racism not overall Nordic racism. Also the Dunmer in Windhelm are lazy freeloaders.

Riften shows that both Dunmer and Argonians are allowed to peacefully intigrate into cities with little to no racism.

The Khajiit caravans are barred because the Khajiit's are, rightly so, considered to be drug sellers and thieves, and if you look through their caravan items you will see moon sugar, which is illegal.

Keeping out drug smugglers isn't racism, it is following Imperial law.

The Dunmer are not freeloaders. You my friend sound racist. They have jobs and are completely ignored by the Jarl. Hell one of the Dunmer runs a shipping operation on the docks.

Alchemist sell moon sugar too. And half the cities arent even under Imperial law.

The Dunmer are not freeloaders. You my friend sound racist. They have jobs and are completely ignored by the Jarl. Hell one of the Dunmer runs a shipping operation on the docks.

Alchemist sell moon sugar too. And half the cities arent even under Imperial law.

The Dunmer are not freeloaders no, the Dunmer in Windheld are, except Belyn Hlaalu who owns a farm and actually does things for the community. The Dunmer in Riften however are the exact opposite, and are great examples of people with jobs doing things for their community.

Also the alchemists selling moon sugar is a gameplay mechanic and not indicative of actual lore.

Beyond that while half the cities may or may not, depending on the status of the civil war, be under Imperal law, after spending so much time under it many of its customs and illegal actions would naturally be part of The Stormcloaks laws.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

The Dunmer are not freeloaders no, the Dunmer in Windheld are, except Belyn Hlaalu who owns a farm and actually does things for the community. The Dunmer in Riften however are the exact opposite, and are great examples of people with jobs doing things for their community.

The very idea that the Grey Quarter Dunmers are layabouts and freeloaders is ridiculous. The residents of the Grey Quarter include:

-Ambarys Rendar, who owns the cornerclub

-Faryl and Suvaris Atheron, a pair of siblings who work at a shipping company at the Windhelm docks

-Belyn Hlaalu, who, as previously mentioned, owns a farm outside the city

-Malthyr Elenil, who works at the cornerclub

-Aval Atheron, a pawnbroker with a stall in the market

-Revyn Sadri, who owns Sadri's Used Wares

I'm pretty sure there's not a single unemployed Dunmer in the entire quarter. Not sure where this 'freeloader' nonsense is coming from.

I'm curious to know how, exactly, the Dunmer of Windhelm are freeloading. They're not given anything. They intrinsically can't freeload, because they'd starve to death. This is medieval fantasy world, not a modern European nation with lovely unemployment benefits you can 'freeload' from.

Dunmer no worky means Dunmer no eaty.

The Cornerclub only serves Dunmer and provides nothing for anyone but The Dunmer, similarly Sadri's used wares only provides a market for the Dunmer. The Atheron's however do work so I conceit that point.

My original point still stand MOST Dunmer in Windhelm do little besides sit around and complain. Even Hlaalu admits they complain too much and do too little.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

My original point still stand MOST Dunmer in Windhelm do little besides sit around and complain. Even Hlaalu admits they complain too much and do too little.

This is the usual vicious circle, they are segregated, thus they do business rather with them selves, or none, because well most prefer costumers prefer native trades. Then people claim they do nothing and segregate further.

Same with the Kahjiit, they may not enter the cities, or do any legitimate work, because in Skyrim they are all considered thieves and criminals. With no options of legitimate work or endorsement they come thieves and criminals.

And no, I won't let the argument go through that the player/dragonborn Kahjiit or Dunmer doesn't get any problems - thats just game mechanics and as discussed and undesirable weakness of the game. I would have more replay value if any of the in game discussed issues would apply.

The fact that the Dragonborn gets through is because EVERYONE knows you are The Dragonborn, it isn't a gameplay weakness its following the lore. They may not like you because of your race but they do respect you becuase of your title. No lore was broken, no gameplay was ruined, it all makes sense IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

The Riften Dunmer and Argonians were able to persevere when coming into a land that hated them because THEY TIRED, The Windhelm Dunmer don't try, they are content with sitting around and being hated.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000