Random useful tips (no spoilers!)

RokHere

It would be nice to have a thread on the forums for any tips that we can share with each other. This being the General forum, please make sure that your tips are very sensitive to spoilers, so phrase them in a way that does not spoil anything for others. So omit names if you can, do not point to specific locations but just point out the possibility of doing something, and so on. If a person is happy to actually find out the exact details of a tip that you shared, then they are free to go Google it and find out names or even ask about it in the spoilers forums.

• Ever hated how dark it can be sometimes in cities at night, and Candlelight is way too glaringly bright for your taste? Trade with your Follower, and give them a Torch! They'll use it when it's dark—and it does help a little, provided there are no enemies to attack, of course.

• Did you know that there is a Stones location that allows you to carry more and cancels the slowing effect of heavy armor? Now you do. Don't ask here where exactly it is, as this is a no-spoilers thread! =)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest to try not to use fast travel depending on your style of game play of course, or unless absolutely necessary and time doesn't permit.

You miss out on so many of the random events, Radiant AI and just the pleasure of exploring the beautiful world. You can also find quests with quite some detail that are not just fetch quests and that you may never find otherwise. Very often these quests have unique loot and are only found by exploring various locations, finding books and talking to seemingly random NPC's.

Besides, fast travel triggers dragons to appear at my destination almost without fail in my game at least, even within cities, and that can get annoying sometimes when I'm just going there for a quick visit.

Everyone, MonsoonWave, Maigrets, chanchan05, seanxx, thank you so much! For some reason, I was thrilled to read all those tips mentioned; you made me smile. I knew about some of those tips, like the tips about skill-raising books for example, but even then what I loved about reading those tips was the thought of "Hey! That's indeed a tip worth sharing; I would've shared it myself if I remembered it." So the feeling that we agree on these little things is nice. Thank you again.

And new thread viewers, please keeping adding your own tips, and remember to filter them from any spoilers, at least please do your best. I may not keep thanking everyone by name, but I assure you that I'll keep checking to learn new things from others and also feel good about the little things we agree on. =)

Books that give training are valued as a lot more than books that are not, probably around 50-70ish, so just scan the bookshelves instead of opening them all up.

On this. How do you pick up a book without reading it? on PC.

I doubt it can be done through normal gameplay. I think it could simply become a "feature request" from people who like to collect everything to sell and make gold, as it would indeed save "farmers" time to simply collect the book directly without having to open it first then take. If it is important enough for you to do this with one or two books for whatever reason, then I know of no way other than to simple "hack" it by using console commands and adding a copy of the book to your inventory.

Books that give training are valued as a lot more than books that are not, probably around 50-70ish, so just scan the bookshelves instead of opening them all up.

You can't. I imagine he was saying to just look at your tooltip when you scan over books and only click on them if their value is high enough to warrant picking up. If their value is high then generally they are a skill book. On the other hand, I know of at least 2 books that are low price but start quests.

The only way to get a book without actually opening/reading it is if you are looting it from a storage container or a body. You should also pay attention to the prices of those and make sure you go into your inventory to read them if their value is high.

You can't. I imagine he was saying to just look at your tooltip when you scan over books and only click on them if their value is high enough to warrant picking up. If their value is high then generally they are a skill book. On the other hand, I know of at least 2 books that are low price but start quests.

The only way to get a book without actually opening/reading it is if you are looting it from a storage container or a body. You should also pay attention to the prices of those and make sure you go into your inventory to read them if their value is high.

Actually, I'm trying to collect a copy of every single book in the game. LOL. I already got 300k gold on my level 58 character so I don't need money anymore.