Real Chests

ScarabMonkey

It would be Awesome if someone could code a script onto chests so that when 'opened' they actually open ... and the items are spawned as world-objects inside. Then you can actually take them out.

There are a few open chests already in the world, be great if they could all be :D

I think this would make gameplay much worse. The way it is now, causes no problems and is streamlined and easy. What you suggest would be absolute hell to try and remove the items you wanted.

If you just wanted the chest to open, and show generic items inside, that would be kinda cool, but then how would you interact with it to remove items? Would it just open and show generic stuff while you are removing/adding things inside the interface? Would it close automatically? or would you have to then close it, then open it again to interact with the items inside?

The way it is in vanilla just seems like the only reasonable way to go.

Was it OOO for Oblivion that had something like this on a lesser scale? You saw animation of chests and barrels opening, but didn't see anything inside. The point about having to load the cell with the 100s or 1000s of items (since I've stuffed every box in my house to the brim....) if chests were truely openable is probably a fairly substantial issue.

I wonder if anyone has tried this before for Oblivion and what the result was? If it really did cause issues loading or if it wasn't an issue.

Yeah, I was just imagining what could be cool, rather than thinking of practicalities...

You'd probably need to scale most of the larger weapons to even fit them in!

The chests in your house would either need to be exempt, or make sacks exempt and then get people to move their stuff...

In fact, you could make it spawn whichever items you don;t loot ... then you'd still get the chance to 'loot all' with the normal interface :D

Mostly though, I'm a bit of an Immersion maniac, some could call me crazy ;)

I would agree with this if the idea were to expand upon itself in this way:

Limited capacity for chests such that there is a slot for each item type and a maximum capacity for that item type mitigated, of course, by the maximum storage capacity of the chest itself. It would be easy to do if you just put a weight limit on it.

I doubt those 5-10 gold pieces in each chest will cause any significant slowdowns... You rarely have chests with anything significant in them. I like the idea though.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. But I'm thinking more about player homes and other areas with safe storage capabilities. My Whiterun house has every fillable container stuffed to the point adding or removing something takes 1-2 seconds (depending on how stuffed that particular container is).

I honestly don't know what I have in the way of unique item IDs, but it's in the 100s in that house. That would be my concern with the mod. I love the idea. But I'm scared of what it would mean for a packrat like me... because if this mod were created... I'd have to download it :P